Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,251
Message 1 of 21

Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e - M910: 3 & 4 monitor support (three, four)

Hi,   I have a M91p tower, 7052-A8U, with the factory 2 port AMD 5450 card installed.   According to the data sheet, this AMD card "works with the Intel HD Graphics to support four independent monitors."   I have not been able to get a 3rd monitor on either internal port to work at the same time as the AMD ports (selecting the IGP in the BIOS video will enable the internal ports, but disable the AMD.)  

Is there a trick to making them all work?  I can't be the first one needing more than 2 monitors (I will need 4 total.) 

More info:  factory Win 7 64-bit SP1;  I re-installed the current AMD software and drivers from the Lenovo website for this system, Intel HD graphics and BIOS updated.  Video is set to "Auto" in the BIOS (was the default), all monitors are the same 1920 x 1080 resolution. Clicking detect in Windows or AMD Catalyst shows only the two AMD connected monitors. 

I spent an hour on the phone with Lenovo (IBM) tech support, no joy.   They were going build a system to test, and call back, but haven't heard from them. 

TIA for any information or suggestions.   Alan.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 14,242
Message 2 of 21

Re: M71e - M91p: 3 & 4 monitor support

Never mind, I found the answer -- why isn't this in the User Guide???   And yes, it does work!

Enabling multiple monitor support -  Edge 71, 72, 91, 92; E73, M71e, M81, M82, M73, M83, M83p, M91, ...

Symptom:  Unable to configure more than two displays while 3 or more are attached to the system using a PCI-Express video adapter graphics card and the Intel HD Graphics.

Solution:  Default BIOS setting for the video Devices is [AUTO] and must be changed to [IGD] and then enable Multi-Monitor Support in the IGD section in BIOS video Setup, F10 Save and exit.

The following BIOS settings are required:

Select Active Video = IGD
Multi-Monitor Support = Enabled

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Kiario57
What's DOS?
Views: 13,128
Message 3 of 21

Re: M91p - 3 & 4 monitor support

I actually have that setting enabled in my BIOS, but when it is, I only get the monitor plugged into my onboard graphics port. If I change this setting to PCI, I get the two monitors plugged into my PCI card, and if I choose Auto, I only get the monitor plugged into the DVI port on the PCI card, but not the monitor plugged into the display port on the PCI or the monitor in the onboard port. 

I'm on a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit, SP1, I ran the Lenovo update, and installed the ATI driver from the recommendation on their site, and got the Intel HD Driver. 

Any Suggestions? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 13,118
Message 4 of 21

Re: M91p - 3 & 4 monitor support

You have Multi-Monitor Support = Enabled? It is Disabled by default.

I'm using it now with one monitor on the internal DP, and two on my Sapphire HD 6670. I'm using AMD 11.12, and the latest Intel HD driver through Microsoft Update (8.15.10.2696)   Works flawlessly with my Java-based trading software, and multiple stock and securities charts.

lawnman17
Paper Tape
Views: 7,468
Message 5 of 21

Re: Setting up dual monitors for extended display - need help

@DSperber wrote:

Running two monitors in Windows "extended desktop" mode requires a video port connection for each monitor.  Two monitors, two ports.

If you wanted to, there is an even more advanced setup which is possible, for three or more monitors, using what AMD (the manufacturer of the two video cards I suggested) calls EyeFinity.  In this case, you can use all three connectors on the video card, and on the DisplayPort connection you daisy-chain monitors designed for this type of approach. Each monitor has two DP connectors, one for "input" and the second for "output", and a whole string of these monitors can be connected through one single DP connection on the video card.

But for just two monitors using two video connector ports on the card, that is standard Windows.  So you either buy an add-on video card that provides the multiple video connectors you need, or your computer already comes with multiple video connectors on the motherboard.

In the case of your M91p, I believe the M91p came with two onboard video ports from the motherboard.  There is already a built-in VGA and built-in DisplayPort connector, both supported by the onboard built-in Intel Graphics.  So you don't actually need an add-on extra video card as I discussed, you just need to use the two video ports on the M91p.

This provides the same dual-port two-monitor configuration as I've described using the external add-on graphics cards I mentioned earlier... but without requiring an add-on graphics card (although that would provide superior performance).  You've already got the two needed ports on the M91p.

So, you need to connect one monitor to the onboard VGA connector, and the second monitor to the DisplayPort connector (or with an adapter to DVI or HDMI if your second monitor doesn't have a DisplayPort connector on it).  That's a perfectly acceptable way to do what you want, with just what you have.  Once you establish these two connections to the two monitors, you will now be able to configure "extended desktop" mode across the two of them.

So, technically, you don't actually need to install an add-on graphics card just to drive the two monitors, unless you want much better graphics performance. But for modest normal ordinary needs, the onboard Intel graphics and dual video outputs should support two monitors for "business needs".

Nevertheless, installing an add-on graphics card is a simple task... unless you've never been inside a computer before. In this case if you don't want to learn how to do it, just take it over to Best Buy or MicroCenter or TigerDirect or to your local computer store, and pay them a few dollars to do the install (it's only a few minutes, really, to do it yourself).  Then you download the Catalyst drivers from the AMD web site and install them, and re-boot, and you're on your way. You use Catalyst Control Center (also installed with the driver package) to configure your multiple desktop setup and set monitor resolution although the "recommended" hardware-suggested values will already be pre-populated for you to just OK to.

It's quite easy, if you did do it yourself though I realize the first time for anything is always a bit daunting.

I have the M91p 8gb ram with the Intel HD 2000 and am running two monitors as you describe with the VGA and DP hookup. What is the easiest way to be able to run three monitors extended desktop? Would I need a new graphics card (if so, which one would you recommend) or can I use a DP x3 HDMI splitter? I dont game at all...I use the computer for my business. Thanks for any help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,460
Message 6 of 21

Would I need a new graphics card (if so, which one would you recommend) or can I use a DP x3 HDMI splitter? I dont game at all...I use the computer for my business.

Yes.   I'm currently recommending the low-profile GT 730 DDR5 (memory) for business use.   Best performance for the buck, works in many ThinkCentre models, SFF and Tower.   And I suggest you update the BIOS using the CD ISO method beforehand:  M91p support page

lawnman17
Paper Tape
Views: 7,445
Message 7 of 21

ok, I searched for the video card and there are multiple options on amazon. Which specific one would you recommend? Here is what i was looking at. Also, do i need to add any ram to my system? There is 8gb of physical ram and 16gb of virtual. Thanks for your help...this is not a strong area for me. lol

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,439
Message 8 of 21

EVGA is a very good brand.   Place your primary monitor on these ports, and your least used monitor on the built-in port(s).   And no, no additional memory is required to support the graphics card. 

lawnman17
Paper Tape
Views: 7,430
Message 9 of 21

Awesome...I have the regular size tower not the sff so it will still fit even though it is low profile right? Also, I will just hook up one monitor to the original displayport and the two new monitors to the new card (one monitor to HDMI and the other to DVI) correct? Is it necessary to update bios being that it only shows maintenance release in the read me file? Thanks so much!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,421
Message 10 of 21

Yes to size and ports questions.  BIOS update still good to do, with CD ISO, burn a CD and run it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors