cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srevo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,180
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 system restarts constantly after updating the BIOS 9SKT9AA 07 Mar 2018

Hi,

I updated new BIOS 9SKT99A to ThinkCentre M82 BIOS downloaded from official website of Lenovo.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-m-series-desktops/t...Smiley Frustrated

Now after BIOS update the PC boots for a second and turns off. Then the cycle repeats. I believe it's a problem with this version of the BIOS. I have attempted to revert to the pervious version via the Jumper Procedure, but it appears to have been over written.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,158
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 system restarts constantly after updating the BIOS 9SKT9AA 07 Mar 2018

Does your system type have an optical drive? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
srevo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,145
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 system restarts constantly after updating the BIOS 9SKT9AA 07 Mar 2018

I do have an optical drive

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,141
Message 4 of 11

Burn a bootable CD with the CD ISO image, and follow directions exactly for "recovering from a failed BIOS update" in the HMM. 

See the "Read First .. " pinned thread above for HMM.   May take multiple tries.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
srevo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,120
Message 5 of 11

I have perfromed this process serval times and each time the process was completed the machine will boot seccussfully once and then when powered off it will turn on for a second and then turn off until I hold the Power Key in to stop it. 

Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure
If the power to your computer is interrupted while the POST and BIOS is being updated, your computer
might not restart correctly. If this happens, perform the following procedure to recover from the POST and
BIOS update failure. This procedure is commonly called Boot-block Recovery.
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect
all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
2. Remove the computer cover.
3. Locate the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper on the system board. See "Locating parts on the system
board" on page 7
4. Remove any cables that impede access to the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper.
5. Move the jumper from the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2) to the maintenance position (pin 2 and
pin 3).
6. Reconnect any cables that were disconnected and reinstall the PCI card if removed.
7. Reinstall the computer cover and reconnect the power cords for the computer and monitor to electrical
outlets.
8. Turn on the computer and then insert the POST and BIOS update (flash update) disc into the optical
drive. Wait a few minutes. Then, the recovery session begins. The recovery session will take two to
three minutes. During this time, a warning message will be displayed and no action is needed from you.
9. After the recovery session is completed, there will be no video, and your computer will automatically
turn off.
10. Repeat step 1 through step 4.
11. Move the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper back to the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2).
12. Reconnect any cables that were disconnected and reinstall the PCI card if removed.
13. Reinstall the computer cover and reconnect any cables that were disconnected.
14. Turn on the computer to restart the operating system.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,111
Message 6 of 11

@srevo wrote:
I have perfromed this process serval times and each time the process was completed the machine will boot seccussfully once and then when powered off it will turn on for a second and then turn off until I hold the Power Key in to stop it. 

Do I understand this right?  After the BIOS recovery, it will boot into Windows correctly the first time, but not the second and subsequent times. 

srevo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,105
Message 7 of 11

Yes. The machine boots successfully into Windows after bios flash and the. When the machine is powered off or sleeps it’s gets into the the power off and power on repeatedly 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,088
Message 8 of 11

This is different than the usual BIOS update failure we see here, and I haven't seen this situation before.  All I can suggest is:  enter the BIOS, and load the default settings;  backdate the BIOS to the prior version (found at the bottom of the BIOS main page);  replace the CMOS battery. 

srevo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,085
Message 9 of 11

Can you let me know where to find the previous version of the bios? I would like to download and flash the previous version 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,080
Message 10 of 11

At the main BIOS page for your system, where you found the CD ISO image, towards the bottom of that page, you'll see all the files for the prior version.  Again, use the CD ISO image. 

Flash BIOS update - ThinkCentre Edge 92, ThinkCentre M82, M92 and M92p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors