cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LProblem
Paper Tape
Views: 439
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P SFF + Asus nVidia GeForce GT 1030 GT1030-2G-BRK + Intel SSD 535 480 GB = :(

Hello, the weirdest thing has happened. I've read all kinds of posts of the nVidia GT 1030 card being compatible with fairly recent ThinkCentres, but after 2 hours of exhausting attempts I still could not start my M92P SFF desktop with a GT 1030.

A few years back the excruciatingly slow stock HDD was replaced with an Intel 535 Series 480 GB SSD, and the first thing I saw after installing the GT 1030 video card was the message 'Operating system not found'. The SSD disappeared from BIOS. Removed the GT 1030 and everything is fine. Checked that the SSDs BIOS was of the latest version, updated the PC's BIOS, found out that it was booting in legacy non-UEFI mode. Converted the system drive to GPT, switched to UEFI booting and everything worked without the video card. I was sure the problem was UEFI-related, because even without the GT 1030, prior to switching to GPT, when attempting boot in UEFI mode, I was getting exactly the same message 'No operating system found', the BIOS did non detect the SSD.

Having done all this, I plug in the GT 1030 and bam! Same crap. The BIOS does not see the SSD! But why? More this time, not only it did not detect the now GPT SSD, but a couple of seconds after powering up the M92P would not turn on at all, no matter how many times I pressed/for how long held the power button. It was making some sound from the speaker though, as if it was trying to power up, but couldn't, it was not an error beep. So I had to remove the GT 1030 once again and the PC is booting, seeing the SSD and working just fine.

I need this card to work because I already have it, have bought a 4K monitor and onboard graphics can't do better than 1440p. Wasting money on another POS video card is not an option. Please help! I've tried all the settings in the BIOS - UEFI, legacy, etc., with the video card installed the PC does not see the SDD neither in MBR nor in GPT and does not boot, the video card itself works perfectly, it's just that I can't boot with it installed.

Some weird compatibility issue here. Also can't go back to using an HDD, it's too slow, even though I have an old 600GB VelociRaptor lying around somewhere, cannot sacrifice usability. Plus there is no guarantee that if I clone the SSD to VelociRaptor it would work. There must be something I can do, please?

UEFI is UEFI, right? If it boots in UEFI without the video card, what makes it lose sight of the SSD once it's installed? Does it go into some 'deeper' UEFI state with the GT 1030? I'm completely lost.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 417
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P SFF + Asus nVidia GeForce GT 1030 GT1030-2G-BRK + Intel SSD 535 480 GB

Are you using Win 10?  Which release?  If you're using 1809, it's been very problematic, and the M92p is not listed as compatible with it, Lenovo devices tested for Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
LProblem
Paper Tape
Views: 413
Message 3 of 7

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre M92P SFF + Asus nVidia GeForce GT 1030 GT1030-2G-BRK + Intel SSD 535 480 GB

Yes, using Windows 10 with all the updates. However, the issue I'm experiencing is not related to the OS at all, it's purely a BIOS/UEFI one. The PC does not see the boot drive with the GT 1030, ergo the OS does not even come into play here. I can't comprehend the connection between the video card and the SSD, why there is this incompatibility.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 404
Message 4 of 7

After thinking about it some more, I was going to delete my post, but you beat me with a response.

Sounds like it could be a problem with the PCIe slot or a bad GT 1030 card.  Do you have access to another Nvidia card you can test the system with? 

Update:  I just checked, and the GT 1030 is on the supported adapter list for M92p Desktop, so officially it should work.  Call ASUS tech support and have them work the problem with you, perhaps this card is faulty and they'll send a replacement. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
LProblem
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 5 of 7

So far I have to conclude that this particular configuration is not compatible and will never function. Tried inserting and removing the card a couple more times with similar negative result.

The behavior is always the same. No GT1030 - perfect functioning, with it - powers up for the first time, video output works, the PC does not hang, but cannot see the operating system drive and therefore does not boot. The SSD/hard drive is not detected. If I turn off the PC with the GT1030 in it and try to power it on again - nothing happens, it's dead, can't power up. So it only powers up for one time and not any more no matter how many times I press the power button. It does make some constant faint ticking sound in a loop though through the internal speaker as it's trying to turn itself on, but obviously can't. Without any doubt it's a hardware compatibility problem between the motherboard and the video card, and the system drive does not have anything to do with it. As I have even updated the SSD with a semi-official firmware R2P to mitigate the possible DevSleep issue, but it did not change the behavior in the slightest.

So far this system is being decomissioned, unfortunately, because I absolutely need 4K video output and will not buy another video card which quite possibly will not work there either.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 316
Message 6 of 7

Some thoughts:  Is the SSD connected to the eSATA port?  When you installed the SSD, did you clone the HDD?  All the partitions?  Did you try loading and saving the BIOS default settings?  Is there *any* encryption / password / security on the SSD? 

LProblem
Paper Tape
Views: 309
Message 7 of 7

Yes, I have tried absolutely everything I could, a no-go. The SSD being absent is not a primary issue, as the PC does not function normally, i. e. cannot be turned on for the second time with the video card. It's obviously an incompatibility at power/hardware level between the motherboard and the video card. As nothing could be done, the Lenovo M92P SFF will be gone soon, I'm getting a replacement unit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors