cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,361
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo ThinkCentre: Nvidia GT 1030 graphics card officially supported (GPU, 4K vid, best low-power)

I've been recommending the GT 1030 DDR5 here for some time as the best low-power graphics adapter (30w.)   It is now listed in the readme file for the Nvidia driver (2018 releases - M92p example) on the Lenovo support website as a supported card. It is known to work in systems going back to the M90p generation.

The GT 1030 DDR5 has twice the performance as the GT 730 DDR5 (the previous best 30w low-power Nvidia card, which this replaces), and has important new graphics card features, such as HDMI 2.0b to connect to 4K UHD TVs and monitors, and support for PureVideo HD 8 and Feature set H for 4 and 8K video.

While it is available as a full-height card, most are low-profile cards, suitable for SFF systems.  Be sure the check the length of space available in your SFF, especially for the shorter M710s, M910s, M720s & M920s models, before you decide to buy, to ensure you get one short enough.  One card that is short enough to fit in all generation SFF systems is this Gigabyte GV-N1030D5-2GL.  ThinkCentre systems, including SFF, have power supplies sized to accommodate a low-power (30w) graphics card. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,021
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre: Nvidia GT 1030 graphics card officially supported (best low-power, 4K video

Beware, some graphics card manufacturers recently introduced a slower, less expensive GT 1030 with DDR4 memory, reducing the bandwidth from around 48 GB/s to just 16.8 GB/s.  The graphics chip clock has also been reduced, up to 100MHz.   The typical $10 difference is not worth the difference in performance, as gaming performance declines by 50%.

Forbes magazine: "What does this [DDR4 version] look like in actual gameplay practice? To put it bluntly, it's revolting."

f-gt 1030 ddr4 spec.png

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,727
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre: Nvidia GT 1030 graphics card officially supported (best low-power, 4K video

If you are considering using this card to build a Home Theatre PC (HTPC), be aware that this card does not meet the minimum requirements for streaming Netflix 4K video (pretty much any modern PC can stream HD, 1080p, even with integrated graphics.)

According to Nvidia, streaming 4K from Netflix requires a "NVIDIA Pascal based GPU or newer, GeForce GTX 1050 or greater with minimum 3GB memory"

Information on connecting to a 4K TV:  CNET -- TVs: What is HDMI 2.0b? (2017)

(It's not really a limitation of on-board video, as both the GT 1030 and the GTX 960 from 2015 supports HEVC 4k decoding, it's a certification cost limitation.  Only current products at the certain price point are certified.  And is the reason we will never see a GT 1030 with 3 GB or more, as it would undercut their GTX 1050 business (people have pointed to the fact that versions of GT 730 have 4 GB, albeit the much slower DDR3 type.))

Greybeard2
Paper Tape
Views: 4,592
Message 4 of 11

I just want to confirm that this will fit the Thinkcentre M73 Tiny Tower, and will just simply plug into the PCI slot without additional power cables etc:-

Model Number 0008US

Machine type 10B6

The machine I want to fit this to has a broken VGA port on the Motherboard, so also could you please tell me if there are any Jumpers etc that may need changing to accomodate the new card?

Thanks in advance

Steve James

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,581
Message 5 of 11

M73 10B6 is a SFF, so you will need to shorter low-profile card, no power cables necessary, or jumpers.   If the ports on the card don't immediately become active, go into the BIOS setup, and change the graphics from internal to auto or PCIe.  

86rmuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,991
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for this post - I just wanted to confirm that a low-profile GT1030 2GB DDR5 GPU is working just fine in my SFF Lenovo Thinkcentre M81 i5-2400, out of the box running on the stock PSU.

kengaru
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,507
Message 7 of 11

Will it fit into Lenovo M90P MT-M 3652-A16 (Core i7-860, Intel Q57) machine?

And, what are that limitations not allowing to install f.e. Radeon R7-360 into this PC with replaced power supply? GPU power rating checked by BIOS?

Is there any way to override that limitation?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,499
Message 8 of 11

Since you have a tower, you have the luxury of more slot length available than a SFF, and the majority, if not all, of GT 1030 should fit. 

As to why a newer AMD card will not work, please read item 4 of the "Read First" pinned thread below this thread. 

FMAranda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,333
Message 9 of 11

I've been rocking an EVGA GT 1030 GDDR5 2GB on my M91P and it's a solid combination. Thanks for the topic! Smiley Happy

richardjoseph
Paper Tape
Views: 1,979
Message 10 of 11

thanksssssssssssssssssssss

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors