Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-12-2011

Kaneohe, Hawaii

4 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Thinkcentre M57P & M55 HTPC 3rd party video card question

2012-05-16, 20:56 PM

Hi All,

I've got a question regarding the use of third party video cards in a either an M57P 6088-A74 SFF or a M55 8810-E96 SFF.

I want to use a SFF Thinkcentre as an HTPC and purchased a refurbished M57P 6088-A74 with the intent of installing a PCI tuner card and PCIe video card so I could use it as an HTPC. Unfortunately, the vendor sent me an M55 8810-E96. To make a long story short, they were basically doing a bait and switch and after warring with them on the matter they decided that it would be wiser to refund my money and since they didn't want to pay return shipping on the M55 they told me to keep it.

When I ordered the M57P I purchased a tuner card and an EVGA GeForce GT 520 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP low profile video card, part number 02G-P3-1529-KR  for it based on EVGA’s recommendations.

So now I’ve got a M55 which from what I can tell research wise uses some proprietary PCIe approach and isn’t really PCIe 2.0 x16 compliant. I tried testing it with the new video card and when I plug it into the slot and fire up the M55 the fan on the video card starts and the M55 starts up, but I never see any video on the monitor, (fyi the machine doesn’t have an OS installed on it). I have gone into the BIOS and tried the various settings and it doesn’t seem to matter and the BIOS is the latest available.

So my opinion at this point is that the M55 8810-E96 does NOT support the use of a third party PCIe video card.

However, in my efforts to verify this I have found conflicting information that says yes it will support it and other info that says no it won’t. Lenovo’s information on the system, at least any that I am able to locate doesn’t say much of anything about the PCIe slot in the M55.

On the other hand the research I did on the M57P 6088 “seems” to indicate that the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot in that system WILL support a 3rd party PCIe video card.

So the questions I have are:

1. Can anyone tell me definitively, (through personal experience, or documentation)  if the M55 8810-E96 will or will not support the use of a 3rd party PCIe 2.0 x16 video card, (power requirements aside).

If it will support the use of a 3rd party card can someone tell me how to get the M55 to recognize it?

2. Can anyone tell me definitively, (through personal experience, or documentation)  if the M57P will or will not support the use of a 3rd party PCIe 2.0 x16 video card and if it does if there are any special steps to installing it.

3. If neither system will support the use of a 3rd party PCIe 2.0 x16 video card then can someone recommend a Thinkcentre SFF that will and has an available PCI slot for my tuner that I can get used/refurbished in the $200.00 price range.

Trying to find accurate information on what these systems will or will not supprt is proving to be rather daunting, :smileyfrustrated: so I was hoping someone on the board might have already gone down this road and/or has access to some more specific information on the sublect.

Any help/information is greatly appreciated.

Gordon

Options

386 Posts

12-14-2007

Palm Springs, CA

5167 Signins

20496 Page Views

• Views: 20496
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Thinkcentre M57P & M55 HTPC 3rd party video card question

2012-05-17, 11:49 AM

Lenovo has begun to whitelist their video cards. Only certain cards will work in certain machines, and there really is no clear documentation on what will work. You will have to search these forums for your machine type, and read which cards others have found that will work. Lenovos' customer base is primarily corporate, so they don't need high end video cards which take a lot of power. Lenovo saves on overall cost by limiting the power supplies and whitelisting the video cards.

Options

5 Posts

01-12-2011

Kaneohe, Hawaii

4 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-05-17, 19:31 PM

Losmeme,

Thanks for the reply. That's is pretty much what I figured, but I was hoping that I was just missing something and someone would give me a link that answered all my questions and had the solution to world hunger, world peace and the plans for a faster than light hyperdrive, lol. Very frustrating, I even called Lenovo and they couldn’t even answer the questions and suggested the knowledgebase and forums.

The funny thing is that the features that make the Thinkcentre such a good corporate PC, is also what makes it a good unit for use as an HTPC, reliability, Energy usage, ability to be up and running continuously without issues, small form factor etc.

My last HTPC was a Dell and the power supply died twice and after that I gave up on it and sent it to that great PC junkyard in the sky, (my attic), so for an interim solution I setup a Dell SX280 I had lying about, but it’s not expandable at all and the built in video just sucks. The video quality when I stream from my TV is better, but as it’s only a TV it lacks some of the much desired functionality of a true HTPC.

My main concern is that I need to buy a different unit if the M55 won’t work, which I’m fairly certain it won't, but which one to buy??? I can't afford, (money wise) to play musical PC's and video cards until I find one that works well.

This shouldn’t be that hard.

Thank for the help.

Gordon  

Options

3 Posts

04-13-2013

PAVEN

22 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-04-13, 23:48 PM

yes  M57p 6088 A35 --Bios  20/08/2009---funciona  con   Gigabit  N210  ddr3 -1 g / 64bites 40w ---  power   liteon 280w

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms