Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcoite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,373
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo Thinkcentre M90P Ram Upgrade

Hello i have Lenovo Thinkcentre M90P whith Intel Pentium G6950 250GB HD  and 2GB of 1066mhz DDR3 RAM i think its Hynix? Recently i bought a 4GB Crucial DDR3 stick 1600mhz  .

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct51264ba160b 

I took out the old RAM and put in this new one but the PC doesnt get into windows anymore and just keep rebooting if I install the old RAM back everything works perfect.

I tought that MHZ shouldnt be a problem and that the new ram will be downgraded to 1333mhz (max supported i think).

Maybe any BIOS update would work or what should i do? 

Thanks for help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,358
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo Thinkcentre M90P Ram Upgrade

For maximum system performance, you want to keep maximum memory utilization under 70% Use Windows 'Task Manager' to view your memory utilization along the bottom line. (Further performance to be had with 'dual-channel' mode -- identical spec modules installed in pairs.)
If you don't wish to buy memory from Lenovo, both Kingston and Crucial have 'System Specific' memory for your system that is OEM equivalent and guaranteed compatible. Memory timings must match what the BIOS expects for the system to recognize it, generic memory often doesn't work.
Use your system's Hardware Maintenance Manual for instructions on how to upgrade the memory. After making any memory change, run 2 passes of MemTest86 to ensure all is well.

I think you'll find that when you input your system information into the  Crucial memory advisor  , it will give you part numbers that are different from what you installed.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
marcoite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,344
Message 3 of 12

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkcentre-m90-%28type-3245%2C-3491%2C-5...

The only difference is that my is 1,5V i think , that is the problem?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,341
Message 4 of 12

When I clicked on 'View more compatible memory', it shows both 1.35 and 1.5 memory.   It's probably a timing issue.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
marcoite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,325
Message 5 of 12

Would any BIOS update help me or is there no other way than to buy another RAM?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,320
Message 6 of 12

Before any hardware upgrade, it's advisable to update the BIOS to ensure you have maximum hardware support and fixes. 

i7_intel36U
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,312
Message 7 of 12

HI.

Many times the system accommodate the old memories, and putting on different memories, the sistemalas rejects as if they were incompatible, in your case be compatible memory reinstalling the operating system, should be resolved, I leave the technical characteristics:

Compatibility: 100% Guaranteed Certified & Compatible with your Lenovo ThinkCentre and All Operating Systems
Speed: 1333MHz (PC3-10600)
Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Pins: 240-pin, Gold Connectors
Form Factor: DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module)
Module Dimensions: 133.35mm x 30mm (LxH)
Data Integrity: Non-ECC
Ranking: 1R, 2R, 4R
Voltage: 1.35V - 1.5V
CAS Latency: You will receive memory with the correct CAS Latency for your model

Regards.

Por favor ,marque la respuesta y así aportar a la Comunidad,al aceptar como solución
Estarás contribuyendo con otros usuarios que tengan la misma duda.
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 3,294
Message 8 of 12

@marcoite

Before we rule out incompatibility, let's run through a few basic checks to see if the memory is recognized with your system.

Can you verify that the new memory is displayed in your BIOS setup and that all of it is recognized?

If it is recognized, can you boot to another drive or Windows USB installation media? This will rule out the OS itself (and I highly doubt it's the OS).

Can you boot the system with only one of the new memory modules installed? Be sure to install it in the DIMM1 slot per the installation graphic on your access panel. Edit: I see you only have one new module. In this case, please verify that it's installed in the correct slot.

Let us know how this goes. If the memory still isn't recognized then it's truly incompatible. No amount of OS reinstallation will correct that.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

marcoite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,268
Message 9 of 12

Now after BIOS update Memory is normaly recognized in BIOS , all 4GB downcloced to 1066mhz  ,looks fine to me.

Now the problem is when it start booting windows (logo shows and that white circle for loading ) it just shut down and restart but keeps shuting down over and over again , if i put old RAM back it works perfectly.

So maybe the windows reinstall would work? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,265
Message 10 of 12

Are you able to burn a CD with MemTest86 and run it ?   Are you able to get 2 passes with no errors ? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors