Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stormwave
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Thinkcentre m70e sff 0845 SSD Nvme upgrade

Hello everyone!

I want some help about an upgrade to my thinkcentre m70e.I have a system 0845 with intel c2d E8500 cpu,4gb ram,ssd 128gb sata 2 connected,linuxmint OS and last bios updated.

Everything is ok but now for more system speed i want to remove the sata 2 ssd and i want to install a new m.2 ssd to PCIe adapter card (low profile) and a m.2 ssd NVMe 128gb to PCIex16 slot.

Can i do that?

System will recognize the m.2 ssd?

the OS will be bootable?

thank you and i'm waiting for yours answers.

SeniorGuru
Views: 224
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Thinkcentre m70e sff 0845 SSD Nvme upgrade

Interesting question.

Looking at the hardware maintenance manual for the old M70e SFF machine it appears there are only two PCIe slots.  One is x16 and is obviously intended for a graphics card, and the other is x1 for some other small x1 expansion card.

An M.2 NVMe SSD drive, which WOULD fit into the M.2 connector on a PCIe adapter card like you describe (which should be low-profile as you say, to fit in the SFF case), would normally be a PCIe x4 device. This would require an x4 expansion slot for maximum performance. But your M70e does not have an x4 slot.

Nor does your M70e have a "negotiable" x16/x4/x1 slot as newer Lenovo machines do.  The "negotiatble" type of slot can be used for any of the three card situations it's designed to hold, x16 or x4 or x1.  So this would have been great for your PCIe x4 daughtercard adapter to hold an M.2 NVMe drive which needs x4.  I actually have exactly that situation in an ASUS homebuilt desktop machine of my own, based on a Z170-Deluxe motherboard that has no M.2 connector on it. But I have a PCIe-M.2 daughtercard in it, with an M.2 NVMe SSD in it, and the machine boots to Windows and operates perfectly.  I assume Linux would also work.

The x16 slot is not described as "negotiable" as the typical x16/x4/x1 slot is, so to be honest I have no idea if you could actually put a slower card in it, like your x4 PCIe-M.2 adapter daughtercard, and would it actually work in x4 speed as it needs to.  I have no experience with ever trying that since all newer machines I've worked with all have the new x16/x4/x1 slot which is designed to be negotiable.  Your M70e is old.

So I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. Only information for you, that the PCIe-M.2 adapter cards require x4 for proper performance.  Whether a "straight x16" slot can also drop down to x4 behavior if you put an x4 card into it... interesting question.  I am skeptical.

Stormwave
Paper Tape
Views: 212
Message 3 of 6

Dear DSperber thank you for your time and your answer!
I am skeptical too.
"Whether a "straight x16" slot can also drop down to x4 behavior if you put an x4 card into it..."
That's what I'm thinking too.
SeniorGuru
Views: 163
Message 4 of 6

Google is our friend.  Looks like this WILL work.

This article says you CAN do what you want, installing the x4 PCIe-M.2 daughtercard in the x16 slot, and have it work at using only 4 channels thus providing full x4 speed to your installed M.2 NVMe SSD.

"A little-known fact is that you can install any PCI Express expansion card in any PCI Express slot. For example, you can install an x1 expansion card in any kind of PCI Express slot; it doesn’t need to be installed in an x1 slot. So, if you have an x4 expansion card but your motherboard doesn’t have an x4 PCI Express slot, no problem; simply install it in an x8 or x16 slot."

Give it a shot.

Stormwave
Paper Tape
Views: 155
Message 5 of 6

I'll try this....thank you again my friend.
SeniorGuru
Views: 151
Message 6 of 6

Looking at what I believe should be the PSREF documentation for your old M70e machine, I think the motherboard uses PCIe 1.0 architecture.  This is slower than PCIe 2.0, and much slower than PCIe 3.0.

If you buy a PCIe-M.2 adapter card today it will probably be compatible with PCIe 3.0 to provide maximum performance.  The card will no doubt also work in a PCIe 2.0 motherboard, and even in a PCIe 1.0 motherboard.  But it almost certainly will not provide the top-rate spec performance for your M.2 NVMe SSD that you might hope for.  Just be realistic.

So just don't be disappointed if you don't get the speed (when measured with Crystal DiskMark or other utility) that you might be expecting.  For that you're going to have to get a new modern machine which supports PCIe 3.0.

Please report back if you go through with this, as to what the benchmark read/write numbers are when you test it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors