Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhurley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,878
Message 1 of 6

Loud optical drive on ThinkCentre A61e

My A61e itself is fairly quiet (though a lot louder than my ThinkPads), but the optical drive sounds like a chainsaw -- is this normal? It's loud enough that you can hear it anywhere in the house (well, maybe not in the basement) when I'm installing software from CDs.
RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 3,870
Message 2 of 6

Re: Loud optical drive on ThinkCentre A61e

Methinks a trip to CircuitCity or the likes would solve the problem.
Some drives are louder than others, but you should not have to cope with an internal jet fighter!
sam13484
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,861
Message 3 of 6

Are you able to control the speed of your optical drive? Try a lower speed, and see if that reduces the noise.

Message Edited by sam13484 on 02-13-2008 11:40 AM
bhurley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,856
Message 4 of 6

I dunno if I can control the speed, but it is definitely quieter when not running at full speed. I played a DVD on it once and it was relatively quiet; it seems to be noisiest when installing software from CDs or DVDs, which I don't do very often so it's not a big issue. I just have to remember to never install software when someone in the house is sleeping; I installed a couple of new programs early this morning and the drive woke up my teenage stepdaughter in her bedroom.
sam13484
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,818
Message 5 of 6

Here's an interesting little program that let's you control your "read" speed. It apparently works on most modern drives:

There's seems to be some confusion on the page as to whether it works for DVDs, but you could always play around with it, and report back any results. Good luck.

jasonhockeyguy
Punch Card
Views: 3,314
Message 6 of 6

Your mileage will vary depending on the type of silkscreening that is done on each disc.
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors