cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
THWCC
Paper Tape
Views: 433
Message 1 of 6

M52 8113-D1G - CPU usage shoots up after adding 2nd PCIe graphics card?!?

We require some kind of quad monitor setup for our security control room.

The bulk of our desktop stock is M52 8113-D1G ThinkCentres (these are normal size tower units) which have the following slots:

1 PCIe (x16)

1 PCIe (x1)

2x PCI

We built a test machine with two NVS 300 cards fitted (one normal x16 full length and one with a shortened x1 slot). This seemed to be fine; all four monitors function normally, the machine has sat stable for 24+ hours etc etc.

However we have now noticed that the CPU usage rockets while the machine is configured like this. It is constantly at around 50% when left idle and then reaches problematic levels (at or close enough to 100%) when you start to actually use the machine.

- When one card is installed with the driver installed, everything is fine.

- When two cards are installed but no driver it's fine (although slightly dysfunctional as you'd expect without a proper graphics driver).

- But as soon as you have both cards in there with the driver installed you get this CPU usage issue, always at least 48%.

This is both with our own build (XP SP3) and with a plain XP SP3 with literally nothing put on yet except the nVidia driver. We have the latest system board BIOS and nVidia driver.

The card is not on the supported list so if it had refused to boot up or wasn't stable, then fair enough.

But instead it's working fine, only at the expense of the CPU... I really can't think of any logical explanation for this to be happening?

There is nothing in task manager visible. The CPU-meter is at 50% but in Task Manager nothing is visibly active, some processes pop up at 1/2/3/4% then disappear back down to 0% immediately; System Idle Process is at 97-99% always.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 417
Message 2 of 6

Re: M52 8113-D1G - CPU usage shoots up after adding 2nd PCIe graphics card?!?

The NVS 300 requires PCIe x16. The one that's in the x1 slot will not function correctly.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
THWCC
Paper Tape
Views: 412
Message 3 of 6

You'd need at least a hammer and maybe a saw to even get a x16 card to fit in the x1 slot.

It's the shortened x1 version which they released specifically to be used as a 2ndary card in the smaller slots... which you'd think would mean the driver wouldn't ever be a big problem in this scenario... but if it's something to do with the architecture of the system itself then why only the CPU usage as opposed to failure to boot, instability etc that you'd normally expect?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 404
Message 4 of 6

My mistake. I looked up the specs and only saw the x16. Expensive little bugger.

Could be something related to XP. I'm running 3 monitors on a AMD 6670 with Win 7, but with XP would be limited to 2. You might try this question on a Nvidia forum.
I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
THWCC
Paper Tape
Views: 391
Message 5 of 6

We now have things working with a single x16 card and a pair of USB graphics adapters to make four monitors total.

If anyone has any info it would still be much appreciated as the USB driver is rubbish and not really up to the job of what we wanted.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 388
Message 6 of 6

Have you tried Nvidia tech support? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors