Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emvb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,335
Message 1 of 7

M53 won't boot to BIOS screen after Win 10 Version 1511 update

After installing the Windows 10 update 1511, my Thinkcentre M53 will not boot beyond the initial  "Lenovo" screen, and there seems to be no way of accessing the bios. Nor can I boot from an external device, as the the boot routine doesn't get far enough to enable this.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, but no change. The Lenovo UEFI diagnostic tool can be used because the device needs to see it on an external USB.

The device will recognize the keyboard, as I can use the ctl-alt-delete command to restart.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

libzhark
What's DOS?
Views: 2,329
Message 2 of 7

Re: M53 won't boot to BIOS screen after Win 10 Version 1511 update

The latest BIOS images available for the M53 freeze when booting to Windows 10. The original BIOS works with Windows 10.

To reflash, download FRKT25A from https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_bios/frjt25usa.zip. Create a bootable USB flash drive (you can use Rufus, https://rufus.akeo.ie/, to create a bootable flash drive and then unzip he contents of the frjt25usa.zip on to it, overwriting the autoexec.bat file). With the system powered down and power unplugged, open up the unit and remove the cable from the harddrive. Plug in the flash drive, reapply power and go through the BIOS update process. After it finishes and reboots, remove power from the unit. Remove the flash drive, plug the harddrive back in, reapply power and enjoy Windows 10 on the M53!

nec
What's DOS?
Views: 2,236
Message 3 of 7

After having the same problem with my M53 following a Windows 10 upgrade from 7, and getting no satisfaction from Microsoft and only a repair-return authorization from Lenovo, I followed these instructions exactly, though I recovered my system back to Windows 7 instead of keeping Windows 10. The Windows 10 incompatibility problem with BIOS version FRKT40AUS appears to be based in the system Power Settings. After some difficulties, I reset Windows 10 to allow Hibernation but the unit completely bricked when I then put the unit into hibernation the first time. Thereafter, the system only booted to a hung Lenovo splash screen. So, by disconnecting the hard drive and then using Rufus on a USB thumb drive to flash the old BIOS (FRKT45A), I was able to reboot and recover the previously installed Windows 7.

Thanks libzhark for these instructions. FWIW, I have reported this problem and the resolution to Lenovo support.
nec
What's DOS?
Views: 2,187
Message 4 of 7

Sorry... old BIOS version should read "FRKT25A"

zdubu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,856
Message 5 of 7

Thank you so much for posting this. You saved me a great deal of hassel. This fixed my issue perfectly. Lenovo support's only option was to buy a new hard drive. 

I had been putting off upgrading to Windows 10 for so long and when I did decide to do it six months ago, it never completed. Finally the option to upgrade from inside Windows Update came along and I tried that and it worked... until I got the black screen and then nothing. Really wish BIOS checks were part of the prerequisite checks that it ran before it upgrade. Would have saved a lot of hassel.

Anyway, thanks again! One comment to your list of instructions. When using rufus, be sure to choose FreeDOS that comes with Rufus. I missed that option and spent a lot of time messing with Windows 10 iso and some other DOS iso and it wasn't until I saw this that I realiazed that Rufus had its own DOS http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

rockandroller
Paper Tape
Views: 956
Message 6 of 7

Can anyone confirm that BIOS Version FRKT48A   solves this issue???

I did the downgrade some time back when buid 1511 upgrade was happening.

NOW RUNNING BUILD 1607 ( 14393.1198 )

trying to open a support ticket, but the support system appears BROKEN ( hangs trying to send me a new password, and does not send one...)

Renrip
Paper Tape
Views: 788
Message 7 of 7

I got the "Lenovo" splash screen hang during a recent Win10 (1703) update attempt.

After unhooking the internal drive and flashing to FRKT48A (from FRKT40x?...I did not note my exact original version) via bootable USB drive, I rehooked up the internal drive and my machine booted and continued installing the Win10 update.

All seems to be fine. Will report back if I experience suspected BIOS related issues.

Not sure if this was a fix of the firmware itself or the BIOS parameter reset that probably happened during the flash.

Craig

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors