Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

5777 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8489 Signins

139033 Page Views

• Views: 139033
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: M55 8810: how to boot from SSD Drive?

2019-04-29, 19:41 PM

That I don't know, but SSD does appear to work with Windows. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

18 Posts

11-15-2017

United States of America

31 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 12 of 15

2019-04-29, 22:37 PM

When I was cloning my boot drive a few months back, I noticed that my 8811 was vary particular about which SATA cable it was going to look at first during bootup.  That is, the cloned SSD needed to be plugged back into the the very same SATA cable mobo port that the original HDD had been plugged into.  If I plugged the cloned SSD into one of the other unused SATA mobo ports, it was a no go.  Perhaps try plugging in your new SSD systematically into each available SATA mobo port and then restart after each to see whether the bios recognizes the new SSD at startup.

Options

8 Posts

04-19-2019

Canada

8 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 13 of 15

2019-04-30, 11:11 AM

wrote:

When I was cloning my boot drive a few months back, I noticed that my 8811 was vary particular about which SATA cable it was going to look at first during bootup.  That is, the cloned SSD needed to be plugged back into the the very same SATA cable mobo port that the original HDD had been plugged into.  If I plugged the cloned SSD into one of the other unused SATA mobo ports, it was a no go.  Perhaps try plugging in your new SSD systematically into each available SATA mobo port and then restart after each to see whether the bios recognizes the new SSD at startup.

Yes I did try your suggestions of paying particular attention to where the drive was plugged, duplicating where the  original boot device was and using that very same SATA port and cable,  then trying  a new cable, then trying the other two ports. It did not make a difference, So later this week I'll take  a stab at  CMOS clearing and Reset, when I have another machine to do the local routing. Cloning is problematic because of drive size mismatch. I don't really want to do that anyway for a  tonne of reasons. prefer a fresh install. and the settings  for the router can be loaded from a backup.  .

Options

8 Posts

04-19-2019

Canada

8 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 14 of 15

2019-05-02, 11:52 AM

Appear in the context you use is vague. Windows is not an option, sir. The fact is the SATA ports on the 8810,at least in my sub-model, are 1st generation SATA and the drive I want to use is SATA3 backward compatible to SATA2. So that is the end of that.

WINDOWS is not an option

Cheers

wrote:

That I don't know, but SSD does appear to work with Windows. 

Options

5777 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8489 Signins

139033 Page Views

• Views: 139033
  • Message 15 of 15

2019-05-02, 13:23 PM

Yes, you are taking it out of context.  I asked previously if you could run a different Linux, my thinking being that the issue could be Smoothwall related (since SSD does work under Windows.)  I understood from the get-go that you need to run Linux, and was not suggesting you run Windows.  My apologies for the confusion, poor wording on my part.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)