Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheAdmiralty
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 1 of 5

M55e Hardware Support?

Howdy!

I've recently come into possession of an older Lenovo M55e desktop.

I'll get straight to the point:  Intel's GMA isn't going to cut it, and I'd like to stick something in there a little faster than a C2D E4300.  Now, I've heard that it's going to be nearly impossible to get a video card to work due to some sort of BIOS-level whitelist?  Nobody seems to agree on this, from what I've read in other posts... I can get a Radeon R7-240 for $40 right now, but I'm not wasting that money if it's just going to hang on boot.  Secondly, exactly which processors does this unit support?  Model is 9632-B57; I've read through the BIOS update notes, but "Added support for three processors" really doesn't help in any way.  A C2D E8600 would be great, if at all possible.  I've got 2G's of memory in there right now, which should be enough for the time being.

Can someone please help verify what exactly this thing can support?

Much appreciated.

Guru
Views: 744
Message 2 of 5

Re: M55e Hardware Support?

There is a BIOs whitelist to prevent higher powered cards from blowing the power supply. You have an economy corporate class machine, it really isn't up to gaming. Check the compatibility matrix HERE for officially supported cards. (3rd Tab, scroll down to your machine)

TheAdmiralty
Paper Tape
Views: 737
Message 3 of 5

I understand - that was never my intention, but when the onboard video can barely handle a relatively resource-hungry Linux desktop environment, I'm going to need just a bit more power.

So, by that list, the only card oficially supported by my model of the M55e is an HD 2400XT?  Why do these people claim to be working with Geforce 210s, 440s, and the Radeon HD 4xxx series?  They aren't even listed on that whitelist sheet.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edge-Series-ThinkCentre/M55e-Graphic-card/td-p/751415

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edge-Series-ThinkCentre/M57-and-any-graphics-cards-total-lack-of...

...I just don't understand all the conflicting information I've been reading.

I'm seriously considering dropping $20 on an Intel mATX board to just get rid of Lenovo's.

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 726
Message 4 of 5

Try a Quadro NVS, I've never had a Thinkcentre that wouldn't take one. You can find 200 series Quadro cards really cheap on eBay. All of them except the 295 have DMS-59 conectors, so you'll have to find the dongle as well. But even the 295 is only around $20.

2647-4EG
Paper Tape
Views: 693
Message 5 of 5

Regarding the video card whitelist: Currently I'm running a HD6850 in my M58p Tower without any BIOS-modifications. I've replaced the stock PSU, though. Smiley Wink

YMMV with the M55e, of course. But there doesn't seem to be a global BIOS-whitelist for all of the ThinkCentres.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors