cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobbear43
Paper Tape
Views: 1,357
Message 1 of 10

M57: Graphics Device Driver Error After Recent Win 10 Update 1803 (Installed GT 710)

Windows 10 Home Version 1803 up to date, Lenovo M57 PC Intel Duo Core E6750 2.66 GHz, 3 Gb RAM, 32 bit

Had two sessions with Microsoft tech support for a problem which first became obvious in Windows Live Mail. The main page of the app does not format correctly, and has some text reflected vertically from the end of strings and other errors of things misplaced. I later found some errors in browsers. MS Tech Support removed the virtual device for display and the current driver. The first person left me with the original problem without finalizing the chat session after trying several fixes. The second person removed the virtual device and replaced it with generic 2006 MS display adapter support. My resolution is now 1280x1024 on a monitor which is normally at 1920x1080. Things are able to be read, but the resolution is not in proportion.

In Device Manager, Display Adapter now says Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, but the actual on board adapter is from Intel. The driver used is from 2006, and does not offer recommended resolution for the monitor.

How do I use the actual Intel graphics adapter and get a driver for the current version of W10 that will display correctly?

Mod:  edited Subject line to add system type and expand problem description

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,302
Message 2 of 10

Re: Device Driver Error After Recent Windows 10 Update 1803

@bobbear43 wrote:

Windows 10 Home Version 1803 up to date, Lenovo M57 PC Intel Duo Core E6750 2.66 GHz, 3 Gb RAM, 32 bit

How do I use the actual Intel graphics adapter and get a driver for the current version of W10 that will display correctly?

There is not a graphics driver for that version of Win 10, or any version of Win 10.  Your Intel processor / graphics processor is not supported by Intel for Win 10, is several generations earlier than Win 10 is supported (Ivy Bridge.)  One option is to install a low-end Nvidia graphics card that will have Win 10 drivers.  Since your system has PCIe version 1.1, you should install a card that has PCIe 2.0, and not the current 3.0 (which can have compatibility issues with 1.1.)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
bobbear43
Paper Tape
Views: 1,289
Message 3 of 10

By the continuing operation of the PC my graphics card was supported by Windows 10 until the most recent 1803 update. The monitor worked perfectly well for the 3 years or more that i have had windows 10.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,285
Message 4 of 10

With each major release of Win 10, it evolves further away from the Windows 8 drivers for the Chipset and Graphics processor that you are running, so there's increased potential for compatibility problems.   Have you considered undoing the 1803 update? 

Lenovo devices tested for Windows 10 version 1803 (April, 2018)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
bobbear43
Paper Tape
Views: 1,164
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for your help! I was able to find a PCIe 2.0 graphics card very good price. Install was easy though involved replacing the bracket for half height. Monitor resolution is even better than before the Windows update which did not support the on-board graphics card. And HDMI connection is what i wanted as well.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,079
Message 6 of 10

Great news!  Can you tell us the manufacturer and model number of the card you installed, that could help other owners. 

Answered:  "The card which I installed was from Amazon, ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3 PCI-E2.0 DL-DVI VGA HDMI Passive Cooled Single Slot Low Profile Graphics Card (ZT-71301-20L)"

BobB43
Paper Tape
Views: 527
Message 7 of 10

(Forums would not let me get into my Bobbear43 username.) This solution is not complete. Nvidia tells me that they will not have any future versions of the driver for the ZOTAC FeForce GT710. While the card supports the monitor, it is 64-bit, which is not what I was told when purchasing. There are instances when the screen goes black and then recovers either in total or within a window. Chrome becomes unusable at times, so don't use it. Videos did not work in Facebook until I starting using IE for Facebook. Edge does not work. There is no longer support in Windows 10 for the graphics card which came with the M57 machine. Can anyone recommend a replacement 32-bit graphics card which does have support for Windows 10?

Replacing the PC is really not a solution for me. It is 12 (?) years old, was updated to a SSD hard disk, and still performs better than my very recent Ideapad 320 when that one is working correctly. The PC is my repository for data, fotos, etc. Yes, it is backed up, external SSD drive and cloud. I just want it to keep working.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 512
Message 8 of 10

@BobB43 wrote:

Nvidia tells me that they will not have any future versions of the driver for the ZOTAC FeForce GT710. While the card supports the monitor, it is 64-bit, which is not what I was told when purchasing.

Just so I understand your question correctly:  Are you reporting that Nvidia will not have any further Win 10 32-bit drivers for this card beyond the Mar 2018, ver. 391.35, driver I see on their download site?   What is it that is 64-bit?   Thx.  And be aware that a card with more than 1 GB will eat into your 3 GB system memory space.  2 GB, which many newer cards are, will reduce your system memory to 2 GB. 

BobB43
Paper Tape
Views: 501
Message 9 of 10

I experienced "blue screens" with video interrupt errors as well as screen recoveries full screen or within a window. I chatted with Nvidia support. They were aware of those errors. They advised stop using Chrome, and got no more blue screens. Windows help articles said get updated driver. My PC has the driver version you specified. Nvidia told me that there will be no future drivers for this device, and that there are no updates beyond that version. They also told me that the GT710 card has a 64-bit bus, and that my PC needs a 32-bit card. I was a software developer, but not a PC hardware expert. Nvidia gave me a chart of model numbers and planned last driver updates which showed March 2018 as last planned update for GT710 driver. I no longer have that as it was in the chat session and not saved.

My GT710 card specs say it is only 1 GB.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 363
Message 10 of 10

@BobB43 wrote:

Nvidia told me that there will be no future drivers for this device, and that there are no updates beyond that version. They also told me that the GT710 card has a 64-bit bus, and that my PC needs a 32-bit card.

Not true.  The memory bus width is unrelated to the OS that can support it.  Otherwise how could your card have had 32-bit drivers until March of this year, and a GTX 1080 could only be supported by a 256-bit version of Windows.   Since you're in conversations with Nvidia, I suggest you ask them which low-power cards (30w) will have 32-bit drivers for the foreseeable future.   (And I saw that they released 64-bit drivers for this card, GT 710, this month -- it appears only drivers for the 32-bit version of Win 10 have been discontinued.)

f-1080 spec.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors