Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbu10
Paper Tape
Views: 17,329
Message 1 of 32

M57 and any graphics cards - total lack of support - and do not buy

well just been in touch with support to find out if a new bios is coming out to support graphics cards that most people have. (HD5450 nothign over powerful)

Sorry not suported in any way, only 3 crappy cards are supported officially.

Basically told to sling hook

Remind me not to buy IBM again from the total lack of support or updates.

PCI-E standard - not if your IBM

mbu10
Paper Tape
Views: 17,299
Message 2 of 32

Re: M57 and any graphics cards - total lack of support - and do not buy

just as a note i have a motherboard from over 2 years ago with a standard pci-e slot and it works on that!!!!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 17,281
Message 3 of 32

for some reason many Lenovo Desktop have problem with the ATI GPU from 5xxx series. Take the desktop to a computer store, and try out the older 4xxx series ATI graphics card instead. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
mbu10
Paper Tape
Views: 17,274
Message 4 of 32

well to be honest, why

i have now tried on over 6 diffrent machines and all of them worked fine(boards going back over 4 years)

even tried on a older lev machine and did not work on that either

PCI-E is a industry standard that must be followed

have worked with computers on a tech level for 15 years

i even have put old 9 years plus pci cards into new machines and they pick up fine

they shoudl release a new bios to fix this instead of fobbing people off because the graphics card in question is not on there list

There are only 3 supported GPU's all of them crap for Lev's

IBM get your act together PCI-E been out 5 years its the standard

Elkvis
What's DOS?
Views: 17,030
Message 5 of 32

I am really dismayed to hear that Lenovo have intentionally crippled such basic functionality on their premium workstations. Slightly more dismayed as i have a HD5570 sitting on my desk.

What exactly is the point of having including a industry standard slot in a PC, only to impliment a bastardised crippled version. This is blatant false advertising.

Not good enough.

Papfox
What's DOS?
Views: 16,990
Message 6 of 32

Hi,

I've just acquired an M57 (6088-A35) small form factor desktop. It has an FRU39J9334 DVI adaptor card in the slot so it seems to be using the onboard graphics.

CPU-wise it is enough for my application but it is seriously lacking in the graphics department. I would like to put the hottest graphics card in it that it will support but this thread (and the 280W PSU) seem to limit my options. The brochure mentions 2-series ATI cards as being purchase options.

What are the most powerful graphics cards that will actually work in this machine please?

Thanks,

Paul.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 16,669
Message 7 of 32

@Papfox wrote:

Hi,

I've just acquired an M57 (6088-A35) small form factor desktop. It has an FRU39J9334 DVI adaptor card in the slot so it seems to be using the onboard graphics.

CPU-wise it is enough for my application but it is seriously lacking in the graphics department. I would like to put the hottest graphics card in it that it will support but this thread (and the 280W PSU) seem to limit my options. The brochure mentions 2-series ATI cards as being purchase options.

What are the most powerful graphics cards that will actually work in this machine please?

Thanks,

Paul.

there isn't any more graphics card option for the SFF Thinkcentre, you can't expand the graphics card with the proprietary PCI express card slot. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
zuuuuuup
Paper Tape
Views: 15,104
Message 8 of 32

Hello from Germany!

I just wanted to report that the Geforce 4GT graphic cards work perfect with the lenovo M57 SFF!

Today i got my m57 6072 with E8200 (2x2,66GHz), 1GB RAM and 160GB!

I also bought the MSI 440GT Low Profile Card with 1024MB GDDR3.

She comes with 2active coolers in a aluminum housing and doesnt fit in the case. so i removed the aluminum fan case and mounted the fans without it. Also i removed the big 3,5" HDD and replaced it with a 2,5" notebook HDD to get more space for the graphic card. Result: Works perfect and is still kind of quiet! I also orderd 3 additional GB of RAM! It's a perfect small and quiet 2nd PC for me!

The 440GT performs well and gives me a windows experience index of 6,8 for Aero and Gaming graphics!

I payed only 200€ for all components and i have a guarantee on it! Those lenovo systems are so smart and well built! I can recommend it for everyone looking for a cheap, small, quiet, energy saving and still gaming capable PC!

Windows experience index: CPU: 6,3 RAM: 6,2 Aero: 6,8 , Games: 6,8 HDD:5,9

=)

mucekmarko
What's DOS?
Views: 13,582
Message 9 of 32

Thid any body try a Radeon 6750 or 6670 or 5750 on this system?

Tnx

royengland
What's DOS?
Views: 8,229
Message 10 of 32

I wasnt going to bother registering and writing an update, but I manged to get mine to work "A work around" ONLYso wanted to share. I'm also a cpmuter engineer and have been for 17 years.

I only wanted the M57e for a second desktop with 2 screens as I do remote support from home. He's the problem I experienced: Pc would go in to sleep mode, then lock up. You've got no chance of unlocking except remove bios battery and power and leave for a few days. The guy previous pointed out something of value by removing the ram. I tried switching, nothing. I tried removing one stick which worked. I replaced the 2nd stick and everything was back working.

Work round: Update your bios to a current version, not the solution but I found didn't cause the issue as much. Then set windows to never go in to sleep mode. If I do it manually its fine, if I shut it down its fine.. however if I let the computer do its own thing it aint fine. My card is a: Radaen 6 series HD. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors