Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 3 (316 Views)

M57P getting rid of RnR and putting plain XP MBR. Acronis Ture Image HD recovery to new HD

I found the utility  Recovery Repari Diskette and wanted to verify as I looked long and hard at the options.

MBRs are critical to anything working

I booted to recovery console and when I typed   FIXMBR

it complained I might lose everything as the MBR was non-standard or invalid MBR

Recovery Repari Diskette

1. Repair the current master boot record

2. Replace the current master boot record]

When choosing #2

The sub options say

A: supports the newer IBM Rescue and Recovery

B: Supports previous versions...

C: Supports only the main operating system environment

Option C: seems to say it will put a vanilla MBR for windows SP SP3
"without Rescue and Recovery"

( This is quoted from Thinkwiki.org )

Retired SuperMod
Message 2 of 3 (302 Views)

Re: M57P getting rid of RnR and putting plain XP MBR. Acronis Ture Image HD recovery to new HD

I'm not sure what you're asking / trying to achieve. What's throwing me is the reference to Acronis in the subject line.

Are you trying to fix the MBR after a failed recovery from an Acronis image? What are you experiencing at boot, a blinking cursor?  What was your setup? Did you re-image the drive outside of the system? Try it with the target drive installed in the system.

Sorry about all the questions, but I feel there is some information missing which might help members help you.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
Message 3 of 3 (287 Views)

Re: M57P getting rid of RnR and putting plain XP MBR. Acronis Ture Image HD recovery to new HD

The Acronis recovery worked, with as I said many dupe files which is now fixed.

If I put a CD or Floppy which have  BOOT.INI and NTLDR and NTDETECT, the black screen

with the blinking cursor in the upper left does not happen.  If I let it boot from the HD it takes

1.25 minutes to finally boot.

Possibly figuring that it was looking for NTLDR or NTDETECT somewhere in the MFT of the disk

becasue of all the dupe files and about 300 in the root of the drive, I was thinking that RnR MBR

might be affecting the boot process.

I want to understand the diskette that changes the MBR to either turn on or turn off RnR.

As I said, I know MBRs are serious things and can distroy your HD so it cannot boot windows

Acronis was booted from their CD and used an external USB HD to recover the backups to a new, same sized, same

manufacturer, later model disk.

"I think it was slow prior to the soft crash, to boot from turn on in the morning, but since it turn on and

walk away normally, I waclked back in and it was doing a chkdsk cause the HD was going bad.

To reiterate:

If I put a CD or Floppy which have  BOOT.INI and NTLDR and NTDETECT, the black screen
with the blinking cursor in the upper left DOES NOT HAPPEN.  If I let it boot from the HD it takes
1.25 minutes to finally boot.

Top kudoed Authors