Did you mean: 
mangler108
Paper Tape
Views: 8,868
Message 1 of 10

M58 Dual Monitors

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3470

+ an Onboard video card.

I am trying to do a dual monitor setup, but every time I enable one of the video cards, the other one gets disabled...making it impossible to have two running at once.

I've used the bios settings automatic, PEG, and the internal card setting (can't remember what it's called in the bios)

Any help or advice?

Message Edited by mangler108 on 07-15-2009 11:20 AM
mammon_sva
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,851
Message 2 of 10

Re: M58 Dual Monitors

the problem is that lenovo sysboards are deciding by trigger signal, which graphic port is powered off (auto/auto).

Why do you like to use the internal graphics and waste system performance? you should be able to run both screens on your ATI. The card should be able to provide analogue signals too, if you like to use an analogue one for secondary, you could use a standard DVI-Adaptre.Smiley Happy

IT - die Arbeitsbeschaffungsmassnahme aus sich selbst heraus
mangler108
Paper Tape
Views: 8,844
Message 3 of 10

because the ATI card only has one vga port, nothing else.

it doesn't make sense to me that when one is turned on, the other turns off, except for the obvious that lenovo wanted to save money by putting in a cheaper power supply.

it seems the only option i have is to use one of those cables that split into two...these do not extend the desktop but merely duplicate it right? 

NationIT
Paper Tape
Views: 8,809
Message 4 of 10

The cable spliter is a good choice.

I have the same problem only I am using 2 different Nvidia cards for a 4 monitor set up The M58 tower only allows one card to be active.

MrPats
Paper Tape
Views: 8,608
Message 5 of 10

If the graphics card is PCI-E then that will disable the on-board video. Same thing used to happen with older machines and the AGP slot.

You should be able to use a PCI video card and the on-board video, however the M58p seems to have some problems supporting GFX cards.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 8,566
Message 6 of 10

only the AMD equipped with 690v and later chipset Thinkcentre can support integrated graphics card and PCI-express card at the same time, to allow for 4 monitors under surroundview.....

If you need 4 monitors on the Thinkcentres then you should consider buying two Lenovo usb2dvi adapter, which supports DVI resolution of up to WUXGA using just the usb ports. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
dhetherington
What's DOS?
Views: 8,524
Message 7 of 10

I'm having the exact same issue with a M58p ThinkCenter that we purchased the ATI 45K1636 card with, for dual monitor use.  What a piss off to see that it's not going to allow us to run dual Monitor.

What you have to do is purchase a 20 pin display port adapter and connect your second monitor to that.

alphaquantys
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,239
Message 8 of 10

so what is the best way to proceed in order to attach 2 monitors to an M58?

1/ - buy two monitors (of course) and one DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D Monitor Cable? So the second monitor will be connected to the DisplayPort through this cable. What will the first monitor connected to (which port using which cable)?

2/ - by the way, are the monitors delivered with cables or do I need to buy the cables separately?

3/ - what about Dual Independent Display (DID) mentioned on Lenovo's website? Is it the solution I just described (2 monitors and one DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D Monitor Cable) or is it a different setup?

4/ - if DID is a different setup, what are the differences between the two setups?

Many thanks

Lenovo Employee ThinkGreen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 7,741
Message 9 of 10

From my understanding the M58 is capable of DID by means of using the internal VGA and DP with no further addition.

When you plugin a PCIe card, the DP will be no longer available. Still the VGA port should work.

I do not own a M58 - so I can't test it, but if I'm not wrong, this configuration is widely used.

Probably it's just the settings in the OS. If you can't do it using the display properties (right click on desktop background) then you should give the tools a try (Catalyst Control Center for ATI or Intel tool)

cYa ... Dirk©

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As money not spent, won't make anyone richer
so knowledge not shared, won't make anyone wiser.

... and no, I'm not working for DELL
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 7,708
Message 10 of 10

@alphaquantys wrote:

so what is the best way to proceed in order to attach 2 monitors to an M58?

1/ - buy two monitors (of course) and one DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D Monitor Cable? So the second monitor will be connected to the DisplayPort through this cable. What will the first monitor connected to (which port using which cable)?

2/ - by the way, are the monitors delivered with cables or do I need to buy the cables separately?

3/ - what about Dual Independent Display (DID) mentioned on Lenovo's website? Is it the solution I just described (2 monitors and one DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D Monitor Cable) or is it a different setup?

4/ - if DID is a different setup, what are the differences between the two setups?

Many thanks

1) DP for one monitor, the other monitor either uses vga or dvi (if you have dvi port)

2) most monitors come with at least a vga cable, and for those monitors with dvi port, then a dvi cable is often supplied.

3) DID can be activated through windows display property or the GPU driver depending on the circumstances, on most occasions, it is already activated as DID, and for Vista or WIn 7, the OS would ask which mode you want your monitors in when you first setup the dual monitor.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors