Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanieleSale
Paper Tape
Views: 19,943
Message 1 of 25

M58 Graphic card upgrade

HI everyone

I read some information on this forum about Thinkcentre M58, but nothing that can really help me.

I want to buy a new graphic card and I would like to know if there are limitation about Graphic Cards that I can install on this machine.

It's not understandable why a desktop computer cannot be upgraded if the motherboard has all the expansion slots needed!

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards

DanieleSale
Paper Tape
Views: 19,874
Message 2 of 25

Re: M58 Graphic card upgrade

HI BiggAl and thanks for reply.

I already performed a search but there are few positive match with a really low performance cards.

I would like to know from Lenovo support if there is a list of supported cards, or what kind of limitation there are.

SeniorGuru
Views: 19,867
Message 3 of 25

@DanieleSale wrote:

I already performed a search but there are few positive match with a really low performance cards.

First... I have NO true firsthand experience with an M58 machine.  I have experience with M91p, M92p and M93p machines, in both SFF and tower cases.

That said...

What's wrong with something like a low-profile single-slot Sapphire AMD R7-250?  You haven't provided info about your case, but this low-profile card comes with both a low-profile bracket as well as a full-size bracket, so it can be installed into both a SFF case or a tower case.  And it only takes up one expansion slot.  Perfectly fine mid-level

It's low-power, so it doesn't need a big PSU.  It's got a 72GB/s bandwidth, which is excellent for a low-power card.  Many times superior to other entry-level low-power low-profile cards like the HD6450.  There's really no reason to consider an HD6450 (except for its low price, if this consideration is a real budget issue) when the R7-250 is available at a very reasonable price for its performance.

There is another somewhat stronger full-size low-power option (but only usable if you have a tower case) of the nVidia GTX 750 or GTX 750 ti or GTX 750 ti SC cards.  However these are dual-slot cards (but shorter than the low-profile R7-250), and more expensive than the R7-250.  But they do provide a bit better performance, if that's important to you and if you don't mind the price.

NOTE: the low-profile R7-250 card is 9.25" long.  The M58 specs says the PCIe x16 expansion slot is "1/2-length" so I don't know if there's enough room inside the case for a 9.25" card.  In contrast the full-size nVidia 750 cards are only 6.7" long.  Obviously interior space inside your case is going to be a factor.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 19,861
Message 4 of 25

@DanieleSale wrote:

That is unfortunately the reality of an older business orientated system.    Higher performance cards weren't supported (mostly due to power supply and cooling limitations), and the BIOS was not updated to recognize the newer, much more power efficient and better performing graphics cards. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Julian_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 19,866
Message 5 of 25

I don't know if the OP is still checking this thread, but I thought I would chime in anyways. Warning: long rambling post ahead.

I had the same problems when I was looking for GPU upgrade options for my M58p (tower form factor), There wasn't too much information out there concerning aftermarket upgrades.

If I recall correctly; the information I managed to find seemed to point out that the BIOS would only recognize AMD/Radeon cards up to the 4xxx series. For nVvidia I did find mention of the 9500 GT.

Aside from BIOS limitations. The only limit there would be, is the power supply. I don't know what type of M58 your PC is. My M58p has a Delta Electronics (model# 280GB-C) 280 watt installed.
====

Now for my personal experience Smiley Happy

A few months after trying to figure out what GPU I could upgrade and having found nothing regarding cards newer than 5 years. I gave up the search and resigned myself to just having to build or buy a newer PC. On black friday; a local computer store had nVidia's low-end wonder GPU - the GTX 750ti - on for $120 with a 20 dollar mail-in rebate. Instead of letting the card sit in the box for a few months, while waiting for other parts to come on sale. I figured why not see if it can work in the M58p... IT DID!

1. Disconnected the power from the tower.
  2. Installed the 750ti in the PCIe x16 slot.
  3. Reconnected power and booted to the BIOS and disabled the built-in intel graphics.
  4. Rebooted and the screen stayed black. After 2 minutes I thought the computer had hung. but then it rebooted on it own a second time and made it into Windows 7.
  5. Start menu>Right click on Computer> Properties> then clicked into Windows Experience index. The 750ti showed up.
  6. Installed nVidia's latest drivers and rebooted
  7. Enjoying a 500%+ increase in performance over intel built in graphics Smiley Very Happy

====

I've been running it with no hiccups for 2 months now and the PSU seems to be able to handle it with no problems. I'll see if I can dig up some screenshots that prove that the card is running and recognized and utilized by the operating system and since there are so many different sub-models of the M58 and M58p. I'll check to see what model my motherboard is and which BIOS it's running.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 19,785
Message 6 of 25

@Julian_ wrote:

On black friday; a local computer store had nVidia's low-end wonder GPU - the GTX 750ti - on for $120 with a 20 dollar mail-in rebate. Instead of letting the card sit in the box for a few months, while waiting for other parts to come on sale. I figured why not see if it can work in the M58p... IT DID!

I've been running it with no hiccups for 2 months now and the PSU seems to be able to handle it with no problems. I'll see if I can dig up some screenshots that prove that the card is running and recognized and utilized by the operating system and since there are so many different sub-models of the M58 and M58p. I'll check to see what model my motherboard is and which BIOS it's running.

Well done!   Thanks for theupdate.   Please let use know what exact model M58p you have (from the case label), and the BIOS version.   Thanks. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Julian_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 19,765
Message 7 of 25

@BiggAl wrote:
Well done!   Thanks for theupdate.   Please let use know what exact model M58p you have (from the case label), and the BIOS version.   Thanks. 

My model is a 6209-A1U.

As you can see in the image below; the BIOS version is 5CKT41AUS  - from January 9th 2009 (last published BIOS version is 5CKT77A - from May 16th 2012).

System summary showing the active video as NVIDIA

HWiNFO on the motherboard panel:

On the GPU panel, with GPU-Z:

====

Here is a link to the specific card I have installed: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti - 02G-P4-3751-KR

I'll try to post an actual shot of the GPU inside the case within the next few days. If you have any questions or want more info - feel free to ask Smiley Happy

ETA: images aren't clickable. To view full-size; open in new tab.

lundily
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,553
Message 8 of 25

Found this post after searching M91p.

Would you be able to tell me if the Thinkcenter M91p is compatible with an R9 270?

Trying to figure out if it's MOBO problems or DOA card.

Thank you.
SeniorGuru
Views: 19,546
Message 9 of 25

@lundily wrote:
Found this post after searching M91p.

Would you be able to tell me if the Thinkcenter M91p is compatible with an R9 270?

Trying to figure out if it's MOBO problems or DOA card.

Thank you.

The R9 270 requires supposedly requires 500W minimum PSU, which certainly is not the stock PSU in the M91p (I think it may be 280W).

Furthermore, the card needs 6-pin additional PCIe power from the PSU, and I didn't think the stock PSU in the M91p even provided a PCIe power cable.

So unless you've replaced the PSU in your M91p with something much stronger than what Lenovo provided, I'd say your dream of having this card in it is just that... a dream.  I can't swear to this, but that would be my guess.

Furthermore, I would be dubious that the BIOS and motherboard and chipset in the M91p can handle the very high-performance high-bandwidth 256bit GDDR5 memory and bandwidth requirements of the card.

As was indicated earlier in this thread, your best bet is to go with an EVGA nVidia GTX 750 ti (or SC) card, which is a low-power card with very high performance.

lundily
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,593
Message 10 of 25

I've indeed swapped out the PSU for an XFX TS 650W which should be more than enough. My troubles getting a signal to a display from the GPU makes me thin the Mobo is indeed not powerful enough to handle this card. Might have to drop 50$ on a new mobo and money on Windows Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors