Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gamerlite78
Token Ring
Views: 12,620
Message 1 of 32

M58 M58p upgrade: processor & fan, memory, graphics GPU, SSD (with photos, video, benchmark)

Hello, two months ago I purchased a M58, 7360 from a local computer recycling center.

Original configuration at date of purchase: 

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500

2Gb Lenovo DDR3 1066Mhz

No HDD

BIOS 5CKT77AUS

Current configuration running:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz 1333Mhz FSB-$50

120Gb SSD Crucial-Free

500GB WD 7200rpm-Free

2x2Gb Kingston 1333Mhz RAM-$20

2x2Gb Lenovo 1066Mhz RAM-$10

eVga GT 710 2Gb PCI-E-$75

40mm fan for Northbridge heatsink-$20

Linksys Wireless AC Dual-Band AC1200 USB adapter-$30

M58 BIOS version 5CKT77A-$30

Grand total of $235

Ok, this is a LONG story lol.

I found this online for $30 here in town. I never knew about this electronic recycling center. When I got there, they had an ENTIRE pallet stacked and shrink wrapped with these machines.

I bought the M58 and another stick of 2Gb ram for $40.

With some parts lying around from other upgrades, I was able to put in a 120Gb Crucial  SSD and installed Windows 7-64bit home. It installed just fine, and it updated Windows without a hitch. I went onto Lenovo’s support site and downloaded all the drivers. Chipset, audio, etc...

I installed an old 512Mb Radeon HD4350 to get dual monitor running.

40mm fan for the Northbridge heatsink. It was getting pretty hot.

About a month later the same place had an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 for $50. It was very easy to remove the CPU heatsink and clean everything with 90% rubbing alcohol.

I seated the Q9550 and used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste with no problems. The computer booted up as if no changes were made. The only issue I ran into was Windows, a few days later I had to re-enter the Product key.

A few days ago I found 2x2Gb Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz on Craigslist for $20. That installed without issues as well.

The old Radeon HD4350 512Mb would get pretty hot just sitting there Idle. I was never a big fan of that card, that's why I removed it from my HTPC and installed a eVga GT 710 1Gb.

I ordered another eVga GT 710 2Gb on Amazon and in total with shipping it came to $75.

Now with a better CPU, more RAM and a 2Gb video card, I wanted to game a bit on it. I installed a used WD 500Gb to store my games. It's not a great gaming machine, but it plays a lot of games on low to med settings with an average of 25 fps. I've also been playing a lot of NES Rom's on it, and as you would guess, they run very smooth.

Overall, it's not a gaming machine, but it makes a great media PC. It currently resides in my garage. I use it mostly for searching the internet, watching Kodi, Youtube, anything I download from my HTPC, and playing Nintendo ROM’s.

I really love this machine because I haven't had to spend that much on it and the upgrades were cheap due to everything being used.

This machine is VERY upgradeable and parts are everywhere online. Or if you’re lucky, in your own town.

I’ve made a video of it before I upgraded it. I’m working on the upgrade video. Take the time and check it out.

https://youtu.be/hPciDtnztBo

Thank you for reading my long winded post. I hope it’s helped some of you.

Garage PC.jpgGarage PC - 2.jpgGarage PC - 4.jpgGarage PC - 5.jpgGarage PC - 3.jpg

Mod:  split from an other processor upgrade thread for it's greater scope / visibility and edited the Subject line; corrected the processor type from Duo to Quad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,595
Message 2 of 32

Re: thinkcentre m58 7359 and q9550?

40mm fan for the Northbridge heatsink. It was getting pretty hot.

Very well done!   Thank you for the write-up and photos.   It would help to know the 4 digit model number. 

Also, could I ask for more details regarding the fan, in as much as you can (make, model, physical fitment, where is it connected, 3 or 4-pin, does the BIOS control the fan speed, temps before and after, espec. while gaming, also GPU temps.)  Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Gamerlite78
Token Ring
Views: 12,580
Message 3 of 32

It's a M58p 7360.

The 40mm fan is a Noctua.

IMG_7702.JPG

I plugged it into the 3-pin header on the board. I'm also running a 60x60mm attatched to the HDD caddy.

The noctua fan came with a low noise 3-pin adapter. The 60mm runs loud, so the adapter helps.

IMG_7712.jpg

As for mounting the 40mm, I "screwed" it into the heatsink.

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

As for GPU temps, while watching Youtube in the background and writting this post it's running at 44c.

While gaming it runs at 56c.

The CPU is at 45c and while gaming its around 58c.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,549
Message 4 of 32

Thank you.  Can you tell us about where and how you mounted the SSD, and about the data and power connections.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Gamerlite78
Token Ring
Views: 12,507
Message 5 of 32

ThinkCentre M58 PassMark Score

Just did a test on PassMark.

Lenovo M58p PerformanceTest.jpg

Mod:  Please keep related posts together in the same thread.  Ty. 

Gamerlite78
Token Ring
Views: 12,531
Message 6 of 32

M58p CPU, RAM, GPU upgrade video

Hi guys, I've finally finished upgrading my M58p 7360.

The BIOS i'm using is 5CKT77AUS

New video

First video

fajny
Punch Card
Views: 12,510
Message 7 of 32

Re: M58p CPU, RAM, GPU upgrade video

Excellent work . M58 p is the last and the best desktop design by IBM not by Lenovo just like t60 laptop series both very much future proof. In my opinion every thing after is half the quality and upgrade compatible. You got lucky with the ram because when I had mine about two years ago I couldn't match the right modules for it . Also you can try fanless video card ati sapphire 5450 1 GB and quad-core cpu q8400 which will perform little slower but more productive then the dual core . Nice work with the ssd drive . Keep the legend alive 👍

T60p Frankenpad
fajny
Punch Card
Views: 12,502
Message 8 of 32

Ok update on ur second video. It's a powerful CPU and GPU,run stress tests and make sure not to burn the motherboard. Again great job .👍

T60p Frankenpad
Gamerlite78
Token Ring
Views: 12,496
Message 9 of 32

I ran Prime95 on the CPU for a couple of hours. It ran great. 

Cleveland612
Paper Tape
Views: 12,149
Message 10 of 32

I've been following your posts closely for the past few weeks since I too recently picked up a M58P (#6137).  It came loaded with a clean install of Win7 Pro, 160 Gb-7200rpm HDD (16Mb cache) and 2 sticks of 2Gb DDR3 ram (4Mb total).  I've been using your posts as a "guide" of sorts during my upgrades. 

My results are as follows:

1.  My first project was to try adding an old ASUS EAH5450 Radeon Vid card that I had laying around, but the machine would not POST with it installed...I couldn't even get to the bios.  After doing some additional research, I decided that a bios update could make a difference.  So, I updated my bios using the USB "boot drive" method.  I went from  #18 to the latest version from 2012 (77AUS I think).  This worked!  The machine booted after the 5450 was re-installed and the 5450 was recognized in Windows.  Drivers were added, Origin and Half Life 2 was installed....as a test of sorts.  FYI...HL2 runs great at Med-High settings!  No issues

2.  My second Project was to swap the HDD with a newer WD Blue 1Gb model (64Mb cache) that also had laying around.  I temporarily removed the DVD drive and connected the 1TB drive for the purpose of cloning.  After the clone was done I swapped the newer 1TB drive with the original drive (Samsung) and re-connected the DVD.  All went smoothly.  No issues.

3.  My third Project was to upgrade the RAM to 8Gb....but I was hesitating.  I spent some time researching this since I knew that there sould be some compatability issues.  I also didn't want to be buying older used Ram without the ability to return it if it didn't work.  But then, I had a great idea!  I remembered that my everyday desktop PC (I5 3550) was about 4 years old and I figured that it had to have DDR3 Ram.  It did!.  So, I removed the two 4Gb sticks of Corsair XMS DDR3 Ram (1333) and stuck them in.  The inital response was a sequence of rapid beeps (uggh).  However, I decided to shutdown, unplug and try again after a few minutes...and surprise, the machine started to Post.  I immediately went into the bios and checked to see if was discovered and indeed it was.  I "saved and exited" from the bios and the machine booted into Windows without any issues.  All has been good since.  I now have 12Gb RAM.  fyi.  I bought two 8Gb sticks of Kingston DDR3 1600 Ram from a guy on Kijiji the next day for $75CAD to replace the stuff in my everyday desktop (8Gb upgrade).

4.  My Fourth Project was to attempt the free upgrade from Win7 Pro to Windows 10 (this can still be done legally in early 2017...use google!).  This took a few days since I tried the automatic update method 3 times. However, I never got beyond the 99% mark (common issue).  I finally gave up and went through the process to download and create a Windows 10 upgrade DVD instead.  This worked!  Windows 10 was installed easy with no issues.  All drivers work with no issues.  In the end, It's not any faster, but I expect that it will be after I stick an SSD inside!  fyi...I still had the original 160Gb HDD to use as a backup if the Win10 upgrade went bad.

5.  My fifth Project (pending) is to swap the 1TB HDD with a used 240Gb Kingston V400 SSD that I got used for $75.  I fully expect this to "wake up the unit".

6.  My 6th Project (pending) will be to replace the Radeon 5450 with a newer low profile GT 730 (64 bit with a passive heatsink).  I've already ordered the card and it should arrive in a day or two.

Summary:  I will update my post in a few days and let you know how the GT 730 install went

fyi...I also orderd a Gt710 (like yours) just in case.  I'll return it unopened if I don't need it.

My goal is to have a fully functional HTPC that is similar in size and appearance to my HT audio Receiver.  I need small, quiet and yet capable of some light gaming, web browsing etc.  If I need to add a low profile sound card, I figure I will be able to add one easily enough

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors