cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farid89
Not applicable
Views: 4,383
Message 1 of 11

M58: how to fix BIOS update failure (power outage)

Have a system M58, I was updating its Bios but suddenly power failure occured.

Now it is not booting, no video, but loud fan.  I reseated ram, reseated motherboard cables, but all in vain.

What to do now?

Mod:  edited Subject line to clarify problem description

palikv
Not applicable
Views: 4,361
Message 2 of 11

Re: ThinkCentre M58 - Fan speeds constantly 100%

Do you have a set drive for booting in the bios? Do you have integrated graphics card or pcie?

palikv
Not applicable
Views: 4,353
Message 3 of 11

if you have a PCIe graphics card, remove it and connect your monitor to the integrated graphics card. Configure your BIOS hdd for booting.

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 4,320
Message 4 of 11

Download the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your system. Look for a section titled: Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
NateS
Not applicable
Views: 4,315
Message 5 of 11

Good day.

For reference, here is the HMM: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/46r4780.pdf

Manual page 560 details the process that BiggAl mentions.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

farid89
Not applicable
Views: 4,298
Message 6 of 11

Solved..By Boot block Recovery

Memo10
Not applicable
Views: 3,631
Message 7 of 11

Hello, our computer (ThinkCenter M58) developed this problem (high fan, no video, etc.) after an event when the Power supply apparently died, and was replaced.....I have no video, and no response to keyboard or mouse...also has no beeps.....I could try the Boot Block Procedure on page 560 of the manual, but I do not have the boot recovery disk they speak about (all I had was supposed to be in a partition in the hard drive, which is not accessible...).  Any idea where or who I can contact to get a copy of this boot recovery disk?  

Any help will be appreciated.  

Memo10
Not applicable
Views: 3,630
Message 8 of 11

Hello,

I have this same problem following a Power Supply failure.  I replace the PS, but now have no video, no keyboard or mouse, and a high speed running fan.....for what I have seen, my best bet would be to conduct the 'Boot Block" recovery procedure in page 560 of the manual, the problem is that I do not have the boot recovery disk they speak about in the manual...the computer I have is a refurbished computer and did not come with any disks (all was suppozed to be in a partition...).  Any idea on how I can get a copy of this disk for a ThinkCenter M58?

thanks for any help / guidance you  can provide.

BiggAl
Not applicable
Views: 3,626
Message 9 of 11

If you weren't in the middle of a BIOS update when the PSU died, you may be needing to do a 'full CMOS reset' instead.

M57-58-p-Fan-runs-on-high-how-to-do-full-CMOS-reset

Since you have an older system, I suggest you replace the CMOS battery before you do this, so that you eliminate it as s possible contributing factor, and that it is good for a long time going forward.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Memo10
Not applicable
Views: 3,580
Message 10 of 11

Thanks....not sure what I did, or if I did anything at all, but now it boots (with 2 beeps) a gets into Windows.... However, It is telling me there are "CMOS Setting Errors", and the maintenance manual (page 65) shows first 2 options to resolve these issues as:

1 - To get into Setup, an Save and Exit the 'Custom Defaults'

2 - Or to load the "Factory Defaults" and Save and Exit....

I am not sure which of the 2 options to pick, since they will have impacts on the system's operation  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors