Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiredgeorge
Paper Tape
Views: 379
Message 1 of 7

M58P ThinkCentre Won't Start

Have two Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P desktops.  One of them started coming up to various stages of boot up and then powered off.  I assumed it was a hard drive crash and replaced the hard drive.   I prepared a bootable USB drive with a new Win 10 Pro image.  Now the machine won't begin to come up.  After pressing the power button, the green power LED comes on for a second then fades out.  After a second this repeats.  I am now not sure the hard drive was the issue.  Any suggestions on how I can get this machine going again.  Please be gentle as I am a motorcycle mechanic and not a computer guy...  Not sure what info is needed to have this query make sense.

Lenovo ThinkCentre Machine type 7479 Model l4U Product ID 7479 4U  (there is a symbol before the 4U that looks kind of like a cursive lower case L.  Sam for model (I put a lower case L there as an example)  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 344
Message 2 of 7

Re: M58P ThinkCentre Won't Start

@wiredgeorge wrote:

Have two Lenovo ThinkCentre M58P desktops.  ...   After pressing the power button, the green power LED comes on for a second then fades out.  After a second this repeats. 

This sounds like a power supply issue.  It is USFF?  With an external power brick, like a laptop?   You might want to try the brick from the good system on the one not powering up. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
wiredgeorge
Paper Tape
Views: 330
Message 3 of 7

Do appreciate the response.  Please gear your answers to speak at the level of a computer idiot; not familiar with the innards or any acronyms.  I do think the power supply is USFF because I saw a heat sink on eBay the exact same as mine labeled with USFF.   I am definitely not sure what brick means but any help with locating the power supply so I can get a replacement and swap it would be appreciated.  I attached a pic of my computer innards showing heat sink and where the AC to DC adapter cord plugs in; it is the blue component next to the heat sink/plastic cover.  

wiredgeorge
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 4 of 7

I did understand the "brick" reference until I looked on eBay for a power supply for a 7479 Levovo machine and I saw it was the AC to DC power cord doo-hicky.  I will now try the one from my good and identical computer per your instruction.  l am learning and soon hope to open a computer repair business bwhahahaha

wiredgeorge
Paper Tape
Views: 323
Message 5 of 7

Well, once I figured out what you meant by brick; swapped the known good one from my home office for the one is the computer in my shop office and the swap worked; power stayed on and all is seemingly well.  The "brick" that is good is marked Lenovo p/n 54Y8833 and is 19.5 VDC and 6.7A.  The one that failed says "Replacement AC Adapter" 19 VDC 6.3A.  Not sure if the electrical difference was the ultimate demise for the bad brick.  Ordered a new AC adapter from eBay.  Thanks!  Problem solved. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 309
Message 6 of 7

@wiredgeorge wrote:

The "brick" that is good is marked Lenovo p/n 54Y8833 and is 19.5 VDC and 6.7A.  The one that failed says "Replacement AC Adapter" 19 VDC 6.3A. 

My guess is that the failed power supply was a generic replacement, that was both under-rated for voltage and amps.  Replacing it with a correct Lenovo part was a wise move. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
wiredgeorge
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 7 of 7

It did say replacement and as noted, was not Lenovo and had no discernable brand.  New one on the way!  Many thanks. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors