Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jijako
Paper Tape
Views: 682
Message 1 of 4

M58P - White dash trying install W10 via USB Boot

Hi,

Before anything, I would like to apogolize for my bad English, I’m like so many french guy bad at other languages !

I got a problem with my Thinkcentre 7635-W1n. It’s a computer I bought with W10 OEM pre-installed on a HDD. However, I wanted to replace this HDD by a SSD. So when I receive the computer I make the replacement and I erase the HDD for using as a save HDD.

After create an USB boot with Rufus, the screen displays « Error 1962, no operating system found ». After many tries :

• Convert the SSD in GPT format and create an USB boot UEFI compatible (yes, I was able to use Gparted from live USB) ;
  • Change thing in the BIOS : but there is no thing about Secure Boot/Legacy in the settings.

But this recent tries don’t lead to boot on USB. Now, after try booting on USB, I have a white dash sign in the top left corner.

I read that there is a problem with the Lenovo with an OEM OS but can’t find the solution myself.

Thank you for reading my post and have a nice day

M83P - 7635-W1M - Core 2 Quad 9400 - W10 OEM - 4GO RAM
Jijako
Paper Tape
Views: 658
Message 2 of 4

Re: M58P - White dash trying install W10 via USB Boot

I'm sorry making a double post, but I can't find the edit options.

To complete my first post after viewing the trade : "Help us to Help you" :

- the system information : Lenovo 7635-W1N with Windows 10 OEM (64-bits I think)

- for the updating of the BIOS : BIOS version - 5CKT61AUS.

The BIOS version 5CKT77A seems to be the latest version, I dl it but when I read the readme.txt, I was a bit lost with the information and I don't know if a BIOS update can solve my problem.

Thank you

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 655
Message 3 of 4

Considering the age of the system, you may be more successful burning a DVD (CD for BIOS) with the ISO image and updating via the optical drive (USB drive is more apropos for newer systems.) 

Jijako
Paper Tape
Views: 636
Message 4 of 4

I succesfully updated the BIOS ! But with an USB Key I have the same problem for booting Windows. So I create a DVD with W10 and I have no success, the screen displays and locks on "Booting an AHCI DVD-ROM". So I change a setting in the BIOS : I turn "Legacy Free" in Enabled and when I try to boot from the DVD-ROM the Windows logo appears Smiley Happy

However, I have a question before installing Windows 10. The SSD is in GPT format and I don't know if I need to convert the SSD in MBR format, because when I boot on DVD there is no "UEFI" before the DVD ROM on the boot menu and I don't the if the BIOS is UEFI ou MBR.

So there is a photo of the Legacy Free explanation.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors