Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlaqC
Paper Tape
Views: 317
Message 1 of 3

M58e won't boot from cloned SSD on SATA1, but boots on SATA2

I wanted to replace the aging HDD on my 7269E4U with an SSD. I connected the SSD to SATA2 (the CD-ROM connector) and cloned my hard drive (SATA1) using EaseUS ToDo Backup. It worked, but…

I can boot with the hard drive disconnected, but only if the SSD is on the same connector (SATA2) as when I cloned it. If I move it to SATA1, the PC will show the Windows 10 logo for a half-second and then shut off. I did confirm, in the BIOS, that the first boot device was the hard disk, and that my SSD was shown in the list of available hard disks in the following section. (Of course, it was the only hard disk.)

How can I get my M58e to boot with the SSD connected to SATA1, so I can reconnect the CD-ROM drive to its original SATA2? Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 289
Message 2 of 3

Re: M58e won't boot from cloned SSD on SATA1, but boots on SATA2

I can boot with the hard drive disconnected, but only if the SSD is on the same connector (SATA2) as when I cloned it.

Did you try leaving the SSD on SATA port 2 and connecting the optical to SATA port 1?  (All the SATA ports are the same 3Gb/s speed.) 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
BlaqC
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 3 of 3

Re: M58e won't boot from cloned SSD on SATA1, but boots on SATA2

Well, I guess I could swap the cables. Thanks, I'll do that.

That still leaves the question, why would this happen?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors