cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IndyBob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,796
Message 1 of 10

M58p: how to update BIOS to ver. 77 via CD-ROM (M58)

What is the best way to flash Bios update on 64bit OS? CD-rom w/ 5cjy77usa.exe does not work. Says no boot filename received (PXE-E53). It is for M58p-6234-A1U

Mod:   edited subject line to add system type and clarify question

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,786
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problems w/ Flash Bios Update via CD-rom.

Download the CD ISO file, and 'burn' to a CD.   Boot from that CD, you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS if it doesn't go to that drive before the HD.   It may ask if you want to change the model and serial number, reply No. 

Burn a Disc Image from an ISO or IMG file in Windows 7

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
IndyBob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,763
Message 3 of 10

I did all that. Checked the file on the CD before rebooting (burning to disc is not the issue). Changed the CDrom to boot first. Still no go! Must be the wrong file? Tried 3 times & no luck. When I download the proper file for x64 OS, it is a folder not a file - 5cjy77usa. Do I need just the iso file on the CD? How do I find that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,742
Message 4 of 10

.iso is the second one down.   More instructions (and the prior version (76), if you feel that the 77 file is corupt) is at the bottom of the page:

Flash BIOS update - ThinkCentre M58, M58p

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Highlighted
IndyBob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,732
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Al! I'll post results tomorrow after I try the new file tonight.

IndyBob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,708
Message 6 of 10

Thanks Al! That info did the trick! Still had to upgrade to the older one first 5CKT76A but then it took the newer one. Definitely need the correct file to make it happen! The CD iso file was the one it needed. The newer version also downloaded a folder along w / the iso file but it took it. I verified that my system info is seeing the 5CKT77A Bios now. Thanks again!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,626
Message 7 of 10

Do you recall what version you were at before the update?   That may help others if they run into issues going straight to ver 77. 

IndyBob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,605
Message 8 of 10

It was at 5CKT54AUS. Also I added 4 new memory sticks - 2GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 UDIMM Part # 46R3323 and had no issues at all. Computer is operating much better now so thanks for all the assistance!

boosh
What's DOS?
Views: 4,468
Message 9 of 10

Does anyone know if the bios update will allow the computer to support more total RAM i.e. more then 8 since two of the updates to the BIOS state that it will now support 4 GIG DIMMS so would the system now support 4x4 Gigs or 16 Total?

Thanks in advance for the help

The ones are

5CKT67A/5CJT67A- Support 4GB DIMMs

and

5CKT64A/5CJT64A - Support 4GB DIMMs

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,466
Message 10 of 10

Yes, depending on your model.   Finding 4GB Dimms may prove difficult, as they use low-density chips that are in short supply. 

read this thread:  M58-M58p-4GB-DIMM-support-for-16GB-max-memory-RAM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors