Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoJoNYC
Paper Tape
Views: 5,118
Message 1 of 18

M700 Dual Monitor Issue

I have a brand new M700 running Win 10 Pro. i am running dual monitors - a brand new Asus on the DisplayPort which is working fine. any monitor attached to the VGA woks but has faint colors. i have tried two new monitors and one old with the same results. Monitors work fine on the DP but not on the VGA. Tried new cables BIOS tweak etc. and nothing works. Lenovo Tech was out here and replaced the mother board but the problem still did not go away.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,073
Message 2 of 18

Re: M700 Dual Monitor Issue

This appears to be a desktop (ThinkCenter) system and not a ThinkStation.  So this is posted in the wrong forum.

That being said, I'd probably ask if you have any dongles/converters/interposers in between the VGA port and the display being driven off that port.  If they've swapped the motherboard on the system, then I would tend to think the issue lies somewhere after the VGA port (i.e. display, cable, or dongles).  Though it does sound like you've checked different displays and cables to attempt to rule that out.  If there's an in-line converter being used that wasn't changed out, that could be the issue.  Just a guess though.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
MoJoNYC
Paper Tape
Views: 5,065
Message 3 of 18

Thank you for your response. There is nothing in between the VGA port and the monitor other than the cable. I have tried several different cables to no avail.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,047
Message 4 of 18

What version of BIOS are you using, and what's the tweak that you wrote of?  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 5,040
Message 5 of 18

@MoJoNYC wrote:

I have a brand new M700 running Win 10 Pro. i am running dual monitors - a brand new Asus on the DisplayPort which is working fine. any monitor attached to the VGA woks but has faint colors. i have tried two new monitors and one old with the same results. Monitors work fine on the DP but not on the VGA.

What form case is your M700?  Tower? SFF?  Tiny?

Is there a reason you're wanting to use VGA for your second monitor?  Is that the only connector option you have on the monitor?  You say you've tried three monitors through the VGA connection with same results, but surely at least one of those three monitors must offer at least a DVI connector option if not also a DisplayPort or HDMI connector option.

If your monitors offer any DIGITAL connector option (i.e. DVI, DP or HDMI) then that really is what you always want to use.  You never want to use [analog] VGA if you have a digital connector option.  Image on that analog VGA-connected screen will always look subjectively inferior (color, brightness, sharpness, etc.) to the same screen operating through a digital connection.

So I'd just use a different cable, connected to the second DisplayPort connector on the M700, and going to some digital connector on your second monitor.  DisplayPort on the graphics card can feed anything at the other end on the display side, and ideally for best results and highest resolution that other end would be one of the three digital connector options... not VGA.

You can buy a DP->DVI cable, or DP->DP cable, or DP->HDMI cable, and they will all work going from your M700's second DP connector to a digital connector on that second monitor.  You can even buy a DP-VGA cable but it's actually the most expensive option and again I don't recommend using VGA if a digital option is available.

So, depending on what digital connector option is on your monitors, just pick a proper 2-ended cable with DisplayPort at the computer end and an appropriate digital connector at the other end, and use the second available M700 DisplayPort connector.  Should work and I suspect you'll be happy with the results.

Note that you have another option if you have a SFF or tower case.  You could install a discrete graphics card which doesn't use much electricity and could survive with the modest PSU in the M700 (e.g. $101 for a low-power low-profile single-slot Sapphire AMD R7-250 or $120 for a somewhat superior low-power low-profile double-slot Gigabyte nVidia GTX 750 ti OC, both of which would work in either SFF or tower cases), which for absolute sure will provide better performance than the M700's built-in Intel graphics and for absolute sure have THREE digital connectors (no VGA) you can use.  This is a "worst case option", but would also provide improved graphics performance and digital connectivity over the built-in Intel graphics on the M700.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,013
Message 6 of 18

@MoJoNYC wrote:

..  any monitor attached to the VGA works but has faint colors. i have tried two new monitors and one old with the same results. Monitors work fine on the DP but not on the VGA. Tried new cables BIOS tweak etc. and nothing works. Lenovo Tech was out here and replaced the mother board but the problem still did not go away.

I'd suggest having the motherboard replaced once more.   VGA is about as simple as it gets, if it's not working, and it's not the monitor or cable, then it's probably the motherboard.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 5,009
Message 7 of 18

The M700 has two DisplayPort connectors on it.  One is already being used to the connect the M700 to monitor #1, an Asus device, using the DP connector on the Asus I assume.

Although OP hasn't provided the brands/models of the other three monitors which are delivering "faint colors" when using the M700's VGA connector (presumably using a VGA cable going to the VGA connector on all three of those monitors), it is almost 100% certain that at the very least all three of those monitors have at least a DVI connector in addition to their VGA connectors.  They might also have an HDMI connector, and/or DP connector.

The second DP connector on the M700 can feed any of those three possible digital alternatives on these three monitors.  There's no real obligation or reason to use VGA on the monitor.

For as little as $7, a DP->DVI cable can be purchased which will connect the second DP connector on the M700 to an almost certain to exist DVI connector on any of those three monitors.  This digital path is most likely guaranteed to provide the same perfect performance on any monitor #2 as is currently seen with the Asus monitor #1.  This will avoid the need to request a motherboard replacement, and also will provide superior performance for monitor #2 gained by using a digital DP->DVI connection rather than analog VGA->VGA.

I'd at least try a proper second digital cable first, using the second DP connector on the M700.

MoJoNYC
Paper Tape
Views: 4,991
Message 8 of 18

BIOS is M05KT54A. I enabled the dual monitor function in the BIOS settings

MoJoNYC
Paper Tape
Views: 4,988
Message 9 of 18

Thank you for the lengthy response

I have the SFF case. I am not seeing another DP port in the back of the unit - just a VGA. The only one DP I have is connected to the monitor that is working. So even though the current Dell monitor has a DVI port I had to use the VGA due to the limited DP port. I have now ordered a splitter DP to DVI x 2 to see if it will work.

When dual monitors are now widley used in the business world, why would Lenove limit you to using onely one?

MoJoNYC
Paper Tape
Views: 4,986
Message 10 of 18

please see picture of the back. i am not seeing the second DP port

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors