Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 1 of 6

M700 Tiny: Starting with a Fresh HDD [NOOB]

2021-02-23, 16:54 PM

My M700 came w/o HDD included, so I bought a SATA M.2, and I am told it has Windows 10 pro key embedded. 

Are there a best practices for getting set up? Can I just install the drive, and power it on?

Answer
Options

3822 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12572 Signins

182096 Page Views

• Views: 182096

Re:M700 Tiny: Starting with a Fresh HDD [NOOB]

2021-02-23, 17:36 PM

My M700 came w/o HDD included

Did you buy this system new, i.e. with no HDD and no OS, or did this system at one point have an HDD running Win10?

I am told it has Windows 10 pro key embedded

The Windows license key is embedded in the BIOS the first time that Windows is run on that system. Hence my previous question.

If there's already a Win10 Pro key embedded then you don't need a new one even if you change storage devices. If not then you'll need to buy a Win10 Pro license.

Once that's dealt with there are numerous articles on the web that describe how to do a clean install on a new storage device, e.g. How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

3822 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12572 Signins

182096 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2021-02-23, 17:36 PM

My M700 came w/o HDD included

Did you buy this system new, i.e. with no HDD and no OS, or did this system at one point have an HDD running Win10?

I am told it has Windows 10 pro key embedded

The Windows license key is embedded in the BIOS the first time that Windows is run on that system. Hence my previous question.

If there's already a Win10 Pro key embedded then you don't need a new one even if you change storage devices. If not then you'll need to buy a Win10 Pro license.

Once that's dealt with there are numerous articles on the web that describe how to do a clean install on a new storage device, e.g. How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

22 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-02-23, 17:57 PM

Thanks for the reply! Having never used a windows PC, I really appreciate your response, and I just read the article you linked. I apologize if my questions are bird brained, but I did try to do a bit of research before asking I swear.

It is new to me, but at one point it did have a HDD running Win10.

So when I get to the point in the installation, I go to activation in the search box, and see if it is activated, correct?

Once that's dealt with there are numerous articles on the web that describe how to do a clean install on a new storage device, e.g. How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

I have to download the windows installation to a USB regardless of the state of the Windows10 Pro license is that correct?

Options

5094 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8275 Signins

130538 Page Views

• Views: 130538
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-02-23, 18:07 PM

I'm not Microsoft certified, nor a Windows expert in any respect, but would it make sense to order the media recovery download (to create a bootable USB drive) from Lenovo for this system?  Restore it to the way it came from the factory. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

3822 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12572 Signins

182096 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-02-23, 21:05 PM

It is new to me, but at one point it did have a HDD running Win10.

Then it's activated.

So when I get to the point in the installation, I go to activation in the search box, and see if it is activated, correct?

You can install Windows without it being activated. Once installed you can check to confirm (Windows Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation.)

I have to download the windows installation to a USB regardless of the state of the Windows10 Pro license is that correct?

Yes.

Also once Windows is installed,

1. Windows Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update to download and install updates, security patches, drivers, etc.

2. Microsoft Store. Download Lenovo Vantage. Run its System Update to get the latest versions of Lenovo specific software, drivers, etc.

Options

3822 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12572 Signins

182096 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-02-23, 21:09 PM

@ BiggAl wrote:

I' not Microsoft certified, nor a Windows expert in any respect, but would it make sense to order the media recovery download (to create a bootable USB drive) from Lenovo for this system?  Restore it to the way it came from the factory. 

You could. Or download/install the vanilla Windows media, then download/install Lenovo Vantage. I prefer the latter because it's likely to be more current so there's less stuff that needs to be updated.

If you order physical recovery media from Lenovo it will take time to get it. If you have the speed and bandwidth, downloading is faster.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms