Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KlickLeno
Paper Tape
Views: 8,146
Message 1 of 9

M700: upgrading graphics and power supply

The M700 comes with a 250W PSU.  No other options are offered.

But there is an option to configure the M700 with a GeForce GT720 1GB card.

Nvidia's product site says the GT720 requires a minimum 300W PSU.

Why does Lenovo is configure a machine that doesn't meet the requirements given by the graphics card manufacturer?

But more importantly - if I follow threads correctly, Lenovo PSUs are a bit of their own animal.

Are there PSU part numbers for larger PSUs from other models that could be used to upgrade the 250W supply in the M700?.   (eg. the 650W supply available for the P500/510?)

Tnx for any ideas/thoughts.

Mod:  edited Subject line for more detail and clarity

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,128
Message 2 of 9

Re: M700 power supply - upgrading

From an update tread I'm working on.   Let me know if you have any Qs or comments.

Power supply or PSU:
The Mini-Tower uses a standard ATX power supply, and the SFF a standard TFX power supply. A power connector adapter (ATX to Lenovo) is required for systems built 2012 and later. For the SFF, the maximum aftermarket TFX is 400w, with 350w being more common -- not a huge increase over stock. For the Mini-tower, I have had an 650w aftermarket Corsair in mine (I recommend one that is semi-modular and shorter, as space is limited inside the case.) A good example for the mini-tower is the Corsair CX-M series.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
KlickLeno
Paper Tape
Views: 8,125
Message 3 of 9

This is very helpful.  Thanks.  Its a standard form factor tower box we're looking at, so if I understand correctly any TFX power supply, combined with the ATX to Lenovo adapter (seems to be about $5 at amazon) will fit and do the trick?

But the end goal here is to try to up the graphics capabilities of an M700 -- which other than for graphics, can be configured nicely for our needs. 

So it looks like it is possible to up the PSU a bit.  Awesome.  I'll search threads for ideas on what people have been able to successfully install in terms of upping the graphics capabilities.  (The M700 seems to be pretty new, so there aren't many threads talking about it.)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,118
Message 4 of 9

Make sure the power adapter works with a M700.    However:  

Graphics:
There is 'white list' for graphics cards, only some will be recognized by the BIOS (and bear in mind the ThinkCentre is a business focused system, not gaming.)
The SFF models require a low-profile card, while the Mini-Tower accommodates a short full-height card. Tinys don't have a PCIe x16 slot.
The stock (factory installed) power supply is another limiting factor, and slot length is the third limiting factor. In later systems (M90 forward), a shorter GTX 750 Ti is the known top card supported by the BIOS, the slot length, and the stock power supply. For example, a short EVGA card is known to work well with the Mini-Tower, and a MSI low-profile card with the SFF (models that don't require a 6-pin PCIe power cable.)
You can upgrade the the power supply, and install a stronger graphics card, but it's dependent on what your BIOS will recognize.
The best way to know which graphics card will work in your system is to use the search engine above (and search the web), searching on your system type (eg. M92, M58) and 'graphics', to see what has been successfully installed.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
KlickLeno
Paper Tape
Views: 8,113
Message 5 of 9

Re: M700 power supply & graphics - upgrading

Even more helpful -- thanks!

We've been pretty loyal to Lenovo - rock solid reliability to date, including in the ThinkStations we've bought. (I particularly appreciate the tool-less designs.)

Ergo my desire to see if we can't tweak an M700 for our needs.  It's not gaming we need. But I do want to ensure we've got the graphics capability to render CAD diagrams and the like.  Not heavy duty stuff that would require a full workstation -- just a bit more humpf on the graphics side than comes in a base business focussed system. 

My org can't be alone in the need for some graphics power in a business machine, so I'm really surprised that Lenovo's business line doesn't at least give a nod to allowing some modest graphics upgrades.

I'll see if I can find that whitelist. Hopefully its got some hints for me. I'm worried that there might not be enough of an installed base of M700s for many people to have gone down this path yet.

Tnx again.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,107
Message 6 of 9

The whitelists are unpublished.  

The gtx 750 Ti is decent for CAD, it's above the recommended adapter for the 2020 interior design CAD,   and will work with the stock power supply (you can put that money into a SSD to increase system performance.)  

flycoop
Punch Card
Views: 8,065
Message 7 of 9

This has been a great discussion. Thanks for the info.

I've heard that some manufacturers have stopped using the standard 20 or 24 pin connectors that are used to connect the power to the motherboard. Do you know if Lenovo has done this?

Thanks.

Coop

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,047
Message 8 of 9

@flycoop wrote:

I've heard that some manufacturers have stopped using the standard 20 or 24 pin connectors that are used to connect the power to the motherboard. Do you know if Lenovo has done this?

Yes, it has.   Please see my previous info above.    Some are 14-pin, some 10-pin.   Check the connector on your system, or ensure it designed to work with a M700.

spgs-itsupport
Paper Tape
Views: 5,307
Message 9 of 9

I do not know about M700, but M800 SFF does NOT use standard TFX power supply.

It has FSP210-20TGBAA with measurements  81.5(W) X 150(L) X 65(H) mm

Which is almost like FlexATX (only difference 65(H) mm --> 40 mm

Does 400W power exists in this strange form factor?

Seb

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors