Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeyChris
What's DOS?
Views: 611
Message 1 of 2

M70e won't boot to repair DVD

I bought a ThinkCentre M70e in December, and a couple weeks ago I started thinking about backup recovery strategies, so I decided to try out the Win7 Pro 64 bit Backup & Restore program.  The vendor made a set of recovery DVDs from the hidden recovery partition on the hard drive for me, so I tried to boot to them. To cut to the chase, even when I made the DVD drive the ONLY boot device in all three BIOS settings, the machine would not boot to the DVD. I Also had an XP installation DVD and tried to boot from it (it worked in other machines) and this M70e would not boot to it. So I took it to the dealer where I bought it, they checked it out and it worked fine. So I figure it had to be something peculiar to my setup at home. The first thing I tried was NOT connecting my external USB HD, and sure enough, the computer booted to the recovery DVD. I hooked up the ext USB hard drive, and the computer would NOT boot to the DVD. No idea WHY (I made sure the USB drive was not even listed in the boot sequence, and it isn't bootable anyway).

Next I tried to boot to the system repair disk I had made in windows, and the computer would not boot to it EVEN WITH ALL USB DEVICES DISCONNECTED! So I made another repair disk, and it wouldn't work either. All-in-all I made a couple Systems repair DVDs and a system repair CD, and none of them worked.

So, anyone have any ideas on what's happening here? I can't recover using the system image on my external drive because I can't boot to the system repair disk, and chances are, since I can't boot to the recovery DVDs with the USB drive connected, I couldn't use the USB drive anyway. So how to I recover if my internal system hard drive fails? Sure I can disconnect the USB drive and boot to the recovery DVDs to get back to factory as-delivered state, but then I would have to reinstall all programs and restore data backups - a pretty big pain in the posterior. I would much rather be able to boot to the system repair disk and use the system image to restore everything at once.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Former Employee
Views: 593
Message 2 of 2

Re: M70e won't boot to repair DVD

hey MikeyChris,

although this might seem a lil bit mad; but I would like to know if those recovery disc can be read on a different machine and/or through windows' "my computer" ?

also at the same time could you perform a full system update.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors