cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fugawi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,934
Message 1 of 12

M710 Tiny: How to best configure new for 1TB of SSD (M710q)?

Hello,

I want to end up with a Tiny with 1TB of SSD storage (about 250GB for boot+programs and 750GB for data) . Can you please suggest the best way to do this?

1. It doesn't appear Lenovo provides an option for 1TB of SSD, which would be the easiest solution, either with single or combined 2.5" SSD drive and/or M.2 SSD drives.
  2. I prefer to order with an SSD boot drive and keep that in place so I keep the original OS and boot disk without having to reconfigure.
  3. If I buy with only a 256GB SSD, is that in the 2.5" or the M.2 slot? If I do that, could I just purchase a 1TB SSD to install myself in the unused drive bay or M.2 slot?
  4. Any other suggestions for the most painless approach to this?

Thank you.

Mod:  edited Subject line to add system type

fugawi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,930
Message 2 of 12

Re: Tiny with 1TB of SSD - How to best configure?

As a sidenote, these Tiny boxes are pretty cool. I've been using an M700 at work for a couple of years with dual 2560x1440 monitors using the built-in displayport ports.

I want a similar setup for home, but with more storage. I haven't found any other boxes with the dual displayport built in.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,887
Message 3 of 12

Which models of Tiny are you considering, what speed of access would be satisfactory for the data (not OS/programs), how important is cost? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
fugawi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,880
Message 4 of 12

Leaning toward an M710 with i5 and 16gb memory. Prefer to stay cost-effective with good bang-for-the-buck, not the best available at any cost on the SSD. Figuring even a mid-level SSD is going to be better than HDD that I have been using.

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,865
Message 5 of 12

I ran the (USA) configurator, and my suggestion is:   M710 Tiny with i5-7500T, 8GB, 500GB HDD, 8565 WiFi     then add:

- Samsung 960 Evo,  500GB or 1TB M.2 SSD card  (for OS, programs, and higher speed data -- use HDD for data that's less speed critical, or remove.)  960 Evo has the best speed vs. cost ratio, and does well on temps.   Use the Samsung tools to clone the HDD to SSD, and optimize OS for SSD operation. 

- Kingston or Crucial 8GB 'system specific' memory upgrade

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
fugawi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,857
Message 6 of 12

Thank you for the suggestion.

My one concern is cloning the HDD to the SSD. That is the reason I  was thinking of buying a unit with the OS on an SSD, and adding another SSD. (Over the years I've been OK when an "easy" task inadvertently consumes hours trying to troubleshoot a small detail. These days I don't want to spend the hours, and lean toward a reliable plug-and-play.)

Is the process of cloning the HDD to the SSD pretty foolproof? If so, that sounds like the best approach.

It would be nice if they would just offer a 1TB SSD. They are common enough now and it's such an easy deal to use that instead of a smaller SSD.

Thanks again.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,851
Message 7 of 12

Cloning from HDD to M.2 NVMe SSD is not as straight forward as going to a SATA SSD.   If that's something you're not wanting to do, then best if you order it with the OS on the M.2 SSD, and adding a SATA SSD, a Samsung 850 Evo is a good choice. 

fugawi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,845
Message 8 of 12

Thank you! Appreciate the guidance Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,297
Message 9 of 12
Moved:

camJr - I moved your M700 Tiny post to a relevant thread. This thread is regarding configuring a new system, and since the M700 Tiny is no longer available new, the M.2 slot and BIOS information is not applicable and will confuse readers. Thx.

camJr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,262
Message 10 of 12

Lenovo direct here In Colombia is still selling the M700 Tiny as is some of Lenovo's other authorized dealers globally and Amazon and I suspect others selling their remaining stocl.
http://shop.lenovo.com/co/es/desktops/thinkcentre/serie-m-tiny/
http://www3.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/ThinkCentre-M700/p/1...

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-i3-6100T-Dual-Core-Bluetooth/dp/B01AS8SK6Y

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors