cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calc
Token Ring
Views: 719
Message 1 of 5

M710 Tiny / M910 Tiny - Data Request - PCI configuration space - m.2 PCIe/NVMe SSD

Can anyone with a M710/M910 Tiny please run RW Everything and save the full PCI data to a file and attach it to this thread. If you run Linux instead the command is 'lspci -vvv -xxx' (run as root). I think they have fixed the m.2 PCIe/NVMe SSD bug in the UEFI for it based on the recent changelog entry. If they have then we should be able to get them to fix it for the m900 Tiny as well.

In particular I'm interested in the bytes 4Ch - 4Fh in the PCI configuration space for each of the PCIe ports.

RWEverything

CHANGES for M1AKT15A
  	- Enhance Tiny NVME SSD support. 

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkStation P320 - ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad P50 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
calc
Token Ring
Views: 559
Message 2 of 5

Re: M710 Tiny / M910 Tiny - Data Request - PCI configuration space - m.2 PCIe/NVMe SSD

I have found you can also use lspci in Windows.

PCI Utilities - Windows

Does anyone have a m710/m910 yet to gather this data?

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkStation P320 - ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad P50 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 373
Message 3 of 5

Re: M710 Tiny / M910 Tiny - Data Request - PCI configuration space - m.2 PCIe/NVMe SSD

Now that these systems have been out for a while, if someone could help out with this info, that would be much appreciated.  Thx. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
camJr
Paper Tape
Views: 335
Message 4 of 5

Regarding the orignal specs on the M.2 as SATA3 only these things after lots of reserach:

- the compatibale SSD on Levono Quick Picks reflect the much faster NVMe - of the Samsung SM961

- at the same time, using another Lenovo parts looks up shows the 2016 Samsung CM871a - an SATA3 only SSD and this probably could have beeb used as a boot device w/o the lastest BIOS upgrade - next commment

- just his month, July 2017 a BIOS upgrade became available to resolve SSD compatibilty problems and I'm fairly certain to resolve / correct the original spec error of the M.2 being SATA3 only along with coding changes to be compatibily expecailly with the faster SSD introduced especially by market leader Samsung mid 2016 along with few other major suppliers like Intel - as one example.
It is not clear/unknown if the revised BIOS also corrects known errors - compatibilty issues with the 2.5 SATA3 only connector for use with the faster SSHD's.

I´m waiting on delivery of both the CM871a - Lenovo OEM part and the much faster NVMe SM951 - one verson before the SM961 and one before the newest and faster Samsung 960.

Finally, while the motherboards and chips set are different between the M700, 710, 900, 910, in my expereince working internally at Intel and other major mulitnationals designing both the from the controller and drive side - all products in production of similiamr performance have to met one only specifications.  Said another way - why the motherboards many use dfferent chips - they all have to be compatible with the list of present drives - SSD and SATA the company has approved.
And compatiblity with non approved/offered drives is hit and miss and then depends upon the chip sets and the BIOS ans drivers - offered by the computer supplier - and the updates, as mentioned above, attempts to correct them - for the most popular newer drives as they become available in the market place.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 295
Message 5 of 5

@BiggAl wrote:

Now that these systems have been out for a while, if someone could help out with this info, that would be much appreciated.  Thx. 

Can anyone help?

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors