Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 1 of 157

M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2018-02-07, 3:19 AM

Hello there,

I am thinking of puchasing an M710 and I had a few questions I am hoping people could answer for me before taking the plunge.

In terms of the power supply I belive its quite low wattage, in the low 200's - is it possible to upgrade this at a later date. I may down the line wish to buy a graphics card and I know it will need a better psu.

In terms of graphics cards, the power should be the only issue, the case itself is big enough to fit some standard graphics cards.

For RAM, how many RAM slots are there? if I get the 8GB option, is that going to be one stick of 8 or 2x4gbs - again if I want to upgrade this, will there be an available slot, or will I have to get rid of the exsisting RAM?

I am going to add an SSD, will they automatically load the OS on the SSD as opposed to the standard 500gb hard drive?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Answer
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11511 Signins

63486 Page Views

• Views: 63486

Re: M710 - SSD and PSU questions

2018-03-13, 8:50 AM

You already have the primary 3.5" SATA bay occupied with that 1TB SATA3 HDD.  And you already have the one M.2 connector on the motherboard occupied by the 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD that you ordered.  Incidentally, the M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD is where Windows will be pre-installed by Lenovo and will run from.  The 1TB HDD will be a secondary data drive and will have a "data" partition allocated on it.  All good.

To answer your question, the M710 tower case has a second 3.5"/2.5" SATA bay, into which you can install either a second SATA3 HDD or a SATA3 SSD.  To do so you must order the Thinkcentre tower storage kit (part #4XF0P01009, which you can buy from Lenovo or other online retailers) to get the proper 3.5"/2.5" brackets and SATA data cable (which will connect from your HDD/SSD drive to a free SATA3 controller socket on the motherboard).

The second drive also must have a SATA power cable.  Lenovo used to have an extra SATA power connector on the long SATA power cable running either to the optical drive or to the HDD.  The extra length of cord was folded up inside the metal chassis, so you just had to pull it out and then unfold and connect it to the secondary HDD/SSD you were installing.  But recent threads have advised that this is no longer the case, and instead Lenovo has placed open available 4-pin power sockets on the motherboard.  So you must get a special Lenovo SATA-to-4-pin power cable, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available for purchase from Lenovo even though they show a picture of the cable.  It would have come pre-installed from Lenovo if you'd ordered that second HDD/SSD from them, but you didn't.

Not to worry.  The proper required SATA power cable is available on the retail market, like this one.  You will just connect it to your second HDD/SSD and the other end goes to an open 4-pin power socket on the motherboard.

Worst case, you could even use a SATA power Y-splitter like this one (just be sure the length you buy is adequate to reach both drives).  You connect the single end to the PSU cable connector currently going to the primary HDD, and then you'd connect the other two ends to each of your two SATA drives.

Check the hardware maintenance manual for the M710t for pictures and instructions.

Replies(156)
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11511 Signins

63486 Page Views

• Message 2 of 157

Re: M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications

2018-02-07, 13:53 PM

Looking at the PSREF for the M710t tower as well as the Hardware Maintenance Manual, it appears there are 4 DIMM slots for memory each supporting up to 16GB, and the machine supports up to 64GB (i.e. 4x16GB).

If you get any memory configuration from Lenovo up to 16GB it will no doubt arrive with a single stick installed into one of the four DIMM slots. So you'll get 1x8GB or 1x16GB.  With 32GB you'd get 2x16GB. Either of these leaves the remaining DIMM slots for your own additional memory expansion if you want, again supporting up to 16GB in each slot.

If you buy an SSD from Lenovo, with or without an HDD as well, the operating system arrives pre-installed on the SSD and not on the HDD.  If you decide to go with the HDD from Lenovo and to upgrade things yourself later by adding your own SSD later (either a second 2.5" SSD SATA drive in the second drive bay, or an M.2 NVMe storage drive using the motherboard's M.2 connector and the separately purchased M.2 SSD Storage Kit part 4XF0P01011 which is required to physically install an M.2 drive), the OS will arrive pre-installed on the HDD.  Then you will have to do something like use Macrium Reflect to clone all the partitions from the Lenovo HDD over to the SSD, and change the BIOS boot sequence to boot from the SSD. Then you can delete the partitions on the HDD and re-purpose it yourself for "data" by creating one or more "data" partitions on it.

But if you just buy both HDD and SSD from Lenovo it will all arrive exactly right and guaranteed, pre-installed and tested by Lenovo (including the required adapter bracket part for the installed M.2 drive), and Windows will already be on the SSD, and the HDD will already be partitioned for "data".

As far as power, it appears there are two different PSU's, either 180W or 210W.  If you don't order a graphics card upgrade with your machine I'm sure you'll get the 180W PSU. If you order a graphics card upgrade (and it appears that only the single-slot nVidia GT730 (35W) option is available for $70 from Lenovo, even though the double-slot AMD R7-350 (75W) option shows as also theoretically available in the PSREF, then you get the 210W PSU.  I just tried to "shop" the M710t and there isn't a customization option that allows you to pick the PSU yourself, optionally paying a few dollars extra for the larger one.  But if in theory it can support the R7-350 at 75W, then you should be able to install your own 75W graphics card if you have that 210W PSU.

Lenovo may also upgrade the PSU to the larger size if you upgrade the CPU.  But either ordering the upgraded CPU (which you would keep), or the upgraded graphics card (which you might order and then discard, if you want to install an even stronger graphics card with additional digital video connectors for multiple monitors), you would have to pay to upgrade something needing more power in order for Lenovo to ship with the 210W PSU.

So in theory, that 210W PSU should be able to support the full 75W graphics card spec in the machine and you can then use a 75W full-size graphics card that will physically fit (i.e. length < 189mm), like EVGA GTX 1050ti SC.

Options

5905 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8543 Signins

140523 Page Views

• Views: 140523
  • Message 3 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications

2018-02-07, 16:56 PM

As far as power, it appears there are two different PSU's, either 180W or 210W.  If you don't order a graphics card upgrade with your machine I'm sure you'll get the 180W PSU. If you order a graphics card upgrade (and it appears that only the single-slot nVidia GT730 (35W) option is available for $70 from Lenovo, even though the double-slot AMD R7-350 (75W) option shows as also theoretically available in the PSREF, then you get the 210W PSU. 

Not always true.  

Using the Lenovo PSREF, you can determine what power supply each specific model (full model number) has.   First, sort on the region where you live, you appear to be in the US.  Then scroll far to the right, you'll find a column for the power supply.   All the US region systems have the 210w supply, irrespective of whether a graphics card is installed at purchase.  However, I suggest you double-check the full model number of the system you may purchase against this list.   In other regions, the majority of systems have 180w, but some, such as this one have the 210w without a graphics card. 

Update:  the easier and more definitive way to determine the wattage of your power supply, is to remove the cover, and look for a label on the power supply itself - it will give the wattage. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

10 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 4 of 157

Re: M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications

2018-02-07, 17:08 PM

This is supremely helpful. Thank you gents

Options

10 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 5 of 157

M710 - SSD and PSU questions

2018-02-26, 16:38 PM

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing an M710,

I notice there are a couple of SSDs I can buy all appear to be m.2 but I wonder are they PCIe or SATA. I was considering the 500gb one over the 250gb one... are they the same speed or is the 250gb faster?

Also, is there a way to request the 210w. PSU as I will likely put a gpu in later but stick with the onbaord graphics for now. Can I request the higher wattage PSU as I'm  guessing you can't put a great GPU with a 180w.

Thank you so much

Options

5905 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8543 Signins

140523 Page Views

• Views: 140523
  • Message 6 of 157

2018-02-26, 18:43 PM

I notice there are a couple of SSDs I can buy all appear to be m.2 but I wonder are they PCIe or SATA. I was considering the 500gb one over the 250gb one... are they the same speed or is the 250gb faster?

Also, is there a way to request the 210w. PSU as I will likely put a gpu in later but stick with the onbaord graphics for now. Can I request the higher wattage PSU as I'm  guessing you can't put a great GPU with a 180w.

The PSU question was answered for you above, and the M.2 SSD are indeed PCIe (as shown in the spec below.).  While technically, there usually is slight difference in the speed between different capacity SSDs, it is so negligible as to be effectively no difference is real life use.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

10 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 7 of 157

2018-02-26, 18:57 PM

Thanks again so much. I must have missed that bit about all the m710s in the us have 210w :)

Thanks for the SSDs. I'll get the bigger one!!

Options

10 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 8 of 157

2018-03-13, 2:42 AM

Hey there so I went ahead and bit the bullet ?

Part No: 10M9CTO1WW
Configuration Details
●  Intel Core i7-7700 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.20GHz)
●  Windows 10 Home 64
●  Windows 10 Home 64 English
●  Tower 85% Power 210W
●  16GB DDR4 2400 UDIMM
●  NVIDIA Geforce GT730 2GB DDR5 64bit DP High Profile
●  1TB Hard Drive, 7200 RPM, 3.5", SATA3
●  512GB SolidState Drive M.2 PCIe Opal
●  Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
●  Intel 8265 2x2AC+Bluetooth Version Non-vPro

Just had one last question.. I know I can add another HDD. Can I add an SSD... it seems you put them in the pcie slots?

Thanks for all the help

Answer
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11511 Signins

63486 Page Views

• Message 9 of 157

2018-03-13, 8:50 AM

You already have the primary 3.5" SATA bay occupied with that 1TB SATA3 HDD.  And you already have the one M.2 connector on the motherboard occupied by the 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD that you ordered.  Incidentally, the M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD is where Windows will be pre-installed by Lenovo and will run from.  The 1TB HDD will be a secondary data drive and will have a "data" partition allocated on it.  All good.

To answer your question, the M710 tower case has a second 3.5"/2.5" SATA bay, into which you can install either a second SATA3 HDD or a SATA3 SSD.  To do so you must order the Thinkcentre tower storage kit (part #4XF0P01009, which you can buy from Lenovo or other online retailers) to get the proper 3.5"/2.5" brackets and SATA data cable (which will connect from your HDD/SSD drive to a free SATA3 controller socket on the motherboard).

The second drive also must have a SATA power cable.  Lenovo used to have an extra SATA power connector on the long SATA power cable running either to the optical drive or to the HDD.  The extra length of cord was folded up inside the metal chassis, so you just had to pull it out and then unfold and connect it to the secondary HDD/SSD you were installing.  But recent threads have advised that this is no longer the case, and instead Lenovo has placed open available 4-pin power sockets on the motherboard.  So you must get a special Lenovo SATA-to-4-pin power cable, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available for purchase from Lenovo even though they show a picture of the cable.  It would have come pre-installed from Lenovo if you'd ordered that second HDD/SSD from them, but you didn't.

Not to worry.  The proper required SATA power cable is available on the retail market, like this one.  You will just connect it to your second HDD/SSD and the other end goes to an open 4-pin power socket on the motherboard.

Worst case, you could even use a SATA power Y-splitter like this one (just be sure the length you buy is adequate to reach both drives).  You connect the single end to the PSU cable connector currently going to the primary HDD, and then you'd connect the other two ends to each of your two SATA drives.

Check the hardware maintenance manual for the M710t for pictures and instructions.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 10 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-07, 0:53 AM

lenovo claims thinkcentre M710t supports m.2 2280 nvme pcie3x4 ssd but in bios its using AHCI protocol to communicate between os and processor

why lenovo claims this types of fake specification

I am a victim of this type misinformation I have purchased brand new samsung 970 pro 1tb model MZ-V7P1T0 but after installing this my system freezes randomly for 3 to 4 seconds during freezing its totally getting hanged, I have checked in the bios that after installing the ssd, system accesses the data by ahci protocol thats the real reason  of freezing.

Also in primary boot sequence option its showing windows boot manager is loaded at SATA1 .

so no use of nvme ssd if we install ssd its still using sata drive protocol to communicate thats the reason behind freezing.

I have also changed the ATA Drive setup settings from AHCI to Intel RST with Intel optane in BIOS but in primary boot sequence menu its still shows windows boot manager in sata 1 .

which means nvme port is connected to processor via sata controller. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/lenovo-thinkcentre-M710t-M-2-nvme-ssd-support/m-p/5097964?page=1#5423957

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms