Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2823 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11404 Signins

62116 Page Views

• Views: 62116
  • Message 121 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-13, 11:39 AM

Did you install Windows using the MS-provided Win10 download install media?  Or using a Lenovo-provided image?

If you used the MS install media, did you download and run the Intel Chipset INF utility? If not, you must.

Did you install Lenovo Commercial Vantage, and then let it update all of the necessary software and drivers for your machine? If not, you must.

Did you Settings -> Updates -> "check for Windows Updates", and look at the optional updates (which are typically for hardware drivers in that first batch) and run them all?  At this point I would.

Your latest screenshot is still interesting, but you are running something that just keeps the CPU humming at around 20% minimum. What are you running while this graph is being made?

Will you have time to close everything down and just watch the max-width graph for 30 minutes, with you doing nothing at all? That should give you two cycles through the max-width window. I just want to see if it's truly "from nothing" with CPU near zero, or is it tied to Chrome running and CPU at 20%?

Options

2823 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11404 Signins

62116 Page Views

• Message 122 of 157

2021-09-13, 11:46 AM

Now this is truly "idle". All foreground apps closed.  Only background activity.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

46 Signins

345 Page Views

• Views: 345
  • Message 123 of 157

2021-09-13, 12:03 PM

Options

2823 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11404 Signins

62116 Page Views

• Message 124 of 157

2021-09-13, 14:52 PM

Is Chrome always open and active when the freeze occurs? Have you tried another browser, like Edge, just to see if there's maybe some tie-in to Chrome?

I know you need to do whatever you do in the browser, but can you just stay out of it and do everything but browsing to see if the freeze no longer seems to occur? You obviously will be able to see the freeze visually on that graph even if you're not typing something at the time.

I'm just trying to do something to try and get a clue as to what's happening at the same time as the freeze occurs. As you can see, your normal situation on your machine is to have a general background CPU level of 20%, which seems high to me. And that must be Chrome, right? Or do you have anything else open?  You said you don't have any other software installed, so it must just be your browsing activity in Chrome that's generating that level of CPU. It just seems possible that Chrome and the freeze might possibly be connected. So we need to confirm that this either is or is not true.

Also, I asked have you installed the Intel Chipset INF utility? And Lenovo Commercial Vantage -> Check for updates? And Windows Settings -> Updates -> check for Windows Updates -> investigate optional updates? This is all very important, to get all drivers relating to hardware up to date. You may already be perfectly up-to-date, but these products will guarantee that.

I also asked what external peripheral devices you have connected. I assume a USB mouse and keyboard, and external monitor, but what are they? Anything else?

We don't know yet what is responsible for that "graph gap", but we now do at least know it is REALLY HAPPENING.  Proof. We just need to gather some clues, in order to try to zero in on what's actually happening. EVENT VIEWER showed nothing obvious.

Do you have a graphics card installed and a monitor connected to it?  Or are you using the Intel HD 630 built-in graphics with an external monitor connected to a motherboard graphics port? And what are these devices if present, i.e. graphics card brand/model and external monitor and cable connection method?

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

46 Signins

345 Page Views

• Message 125 of 157

2021-09-15, 2:32 AM

can You tell me what is Trusted Platform Update(TPM)?

I have never update TPM since purchase

so can we blame this for freezing issue?

Options

2823 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11404 Signins

62116 Page Views

• Message 126 of 157

2021-09-15, 2:55 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

can You tell me what is Trusted Platform Update(TPM)?

I have never update TPM since purchase

so can we blame this for freezing issue?

Here's the MS explanation about what TPM is and is for.

I doubt that it is involved with your freezing issue.

More importantly, I repeat my earlier questions regarding applying all of the hardware, software and driver updates that are appropriate for your machine.

Did you install Windows using the MS-provided Win10 download install media?  Or using a Lenovo-provided image?

If you used the MS install media, did you download and run the Intel Chipset INF utility? If not, you must.

Did you install Lenovo Commercial Vantage, and then let it update all of the necessary software and drivers for your machine? If not, you must.

Did you Settings -> Updates -> "check for Windows Updates", and look at the optional updates (which are typically for hardware drivers in that first batch) and run them all?  At this point I would.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

46 Signins

345 Page Views

• Message 127 of 157

2021-09-15, 3:00 AM

when the freezing occurs in the event log I have found the error of update TPM

no new update for driver

installed chipset driver from lenovo

windows 10 installed from official microsoft website

Options

2823 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11404 Signins

62116 Page Views

• Message 128 of 157

2021-09-15, 4:57 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:Wy

when the freezing occurs in the event log I have found the error of update TPM

no new update for driver

installed chipset driver from lenovo

windows 10 installed from official microsoft website

(1) What error about "update TPM"? Please post screenshot of information shown in Event Viewer. If this really does happen "when the freezing occurs", that's a useful observation. But you need to show the expanded details of what the error states.

(2) What does your BIOS show about currently installed TPM version? Why do you think you need to update it, and to what?  Where is that update available from?

(3) You are running "system update". I ask that you install Lenovo Commercial Vantage and let it determine what hardware/firmware/software/drivers are still needed for your machine, or nothing. This will obtain things from Lenovo which might be hardware-unique to your machine. Perhaps not relevant, but Vantage is the appropriate product to be using. 

(4) Where did you get the chipset INF utility from Lenovo? Probably fine, but I always get the latest version directly from Intel. Probably not relevant, but I'm just asking the appropriate questions.

(5) One more suggestion. I also install Intel's Driver Support & Assistant (DSA). It watches out for Intel hardware driver updates that apply to your machine, which might not be available from Lenovo (or perhaps not for a long time). I keep my Intel drivers current. Can't hurt.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

46 Signins

345 Page Views

• Message 129 of 157

2021-09-15, 5:02 AM

any relation between tpm chip and nvme ssd upgradation?

Options

2823 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11404 Signins

62116 Page Views

• Message 130 of 157

2021-09-15, 6:24 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

any relation between tpm chip and nvme ssd upgradation?

I honestly know little about it. I believe it has a tie-in to using Bitlocker, so that if you actually did have to update TPM and you were also using Bitlocker that there would be some prerequisite things you'd need to do first, in order to then do the TPM update. Both are crypto-related.

I do know that while the MS System Checker was available a month or two ago before being withdrawn (it was just re-issued two weeks ago, but you must be a member of MS Insiders Program in order to download it) I ran it on my own M910t and it was NOT capable of being upgraded to Win11 primarily because of its 6th-generation CPU. Of course TPM 2.0 is also required, and that is what's present on the motherboard right now. I would imagine your M710t also has TPM 2.0.

Note that HWINFO64 shows (on Motherboard) what version of TPM you're running. Also on the first General page of the BIOS I believe.

Here's an MS article on TPM activation.

So I still don't understand why you're focused on a TPM update being necessary? Again, if you would just install Lenovo Commercial Vantage and "check for updates" and let it install any required updates, and possibly some/all optional updates that are offered, you could be sure you're machine's right up to snuff.  This is a must-install product.

Also, you still haven't posted that Event Viewer item you say you keep seeing when the freeze occurs. You showed nothing "error". So it must perhaps be a "warning" or "information". But unless you post it there's no way we can discuss it and/or its possible relevance or importance.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)