Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11501 Signins

63351 Page Views

• Views: 63351
  • Message 11 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-07, 4:14 AM

Please provide some more details about what you've done with your M910t.

First, the following screenshot shows the M710t motherboard, highlighting the M.2 storage slot (9) you should have used to insert your Samsung 970 Pro SSD.

And the M.2 storage slot (9) lot on the motherboard actually is oriented "off-board", so that when you insert the M.2 SSD it will project out over the edge of the motherboard and over the metal chassis itself. To support this off-board projection Lenovo provides the correct "M.2 storage drive bracket" separately purchased accessory part, which snaps into the chassis just by pushing it in properly. And then the off-board extension of the M.2 SSD can be fastened down at its tightening end, using the push-pins provided with the M.2 storage bracket.

Can you confirm that you purchased this M.2 storage bracket, part 4XF0P01011, either from Lenovo or 3rd-party. And that you have snapped the bracket onto the chassis, and then inserted the Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD into the motherboard M.2 storage slot (9), and then fastened down the off-board projecting end of the M.2 SSD to the push-pin-hole at the end of the storage bracket.

I'm just wanting to confirm that you've physically installed the M.2 SSD properly.

Note that there is also a second M.2 slot on the motherboard, numbered (22) in the first screenshot above, which is NOT for an M.2 storage SSD. This other (22) slot is for an M.2 WAN card and of course should not be used for the Samsung 970 Pro SSD.

Next, you did not state whether you were ADDING the M.2 SSD as a SECOND drive in your M710t, in addition to the existing SATA primary drive already installed? You didn't describe your current hardware, which certainly would be at least one SATA drive (probably 3.5") in the primary drive bay of the machine. Or, maybe you've upgraded it in the past to be a 2.5" SSD in the same bay. Or maybe you've added a second 2.5" SATA drive to complement the primary 3.5" SATA drive.

This is very important to know, to explain your observed results where you now say "Boot manager is SATA". That of course WOULD BE CORRECT if you were still booting from your primary 3.5" HDD / 2.5" SSD that your existing Windows system was on, and you installed your new M.2 SSD (to be a second or third drive), and now booted. The BIOS would still boot to the Boot Manager partition on your existing primary drive, which certainly is SATA, unless you altered the boot device list in BIOS to point to the new M.2 SSD if that's where you reinstalled Windows to and now wanted to boot from it as your new primary drive.

So, did you manually cold install a new Windows to the M.2 SSD?  Had you first removed your current primary SATA HDD/SSD before doing this new install to the M.2 SSD? Or did you just leave your existing SATA primary drive in the machine when you did the new fresh install to the M.2 SSD?  Did you then change the boot device list in BIOS to now point to the M.2 SSD as first in the list, instead of "Boot Manager" which would still be pointing to the original primary SATA HDD/SSD?

Typical intent is to install an M.2 SSD and have it become the new primary drive for the Windows C-partition (and possibly additional "data" partitions, depending on drive size). Coming from an existing operating Windows (running from the standard factory 3.5"/2/5" HDD/SSD SATA drive) a very easy method for accomplishing your objective is to use a wonderfully reliable and easy-to-use program like Macrium Reflect Free to "clone" your existing SATA drive partitions over to the M.2 SSD. Then you reboot the machine, get into the BIOS and change the boot device list to point to the M.2 NVME SSD as first, SAVE and let the boot proceed.

When you come up you're now booted to the M.2 NVMe SSD, which is an exact duplicate of your existing Window system as still is on the SATA drive, you're just now booted from the M.2 NVMe SSD instead. In fact all partitions from the SATA drive have been "duplicated" onto the SSD (depending on drive size, of course).  And this means you can now "re-purpose" your original primary SATA HDD/SSD drive that is still physically installed (but no longer in use as the Windows C-partition, which is now on the M.2 NVMe SSD) for use as a second "data" drive. You could then use a nice utility program like Minitool Partition Wizard Free to (a) delete all of the existing partitions on your old SATA HDD/SSD, and (b) create one or more new "data" partitions on that drive. Note that Partition Wizard allows you to pre-select the drive letters of the newly created partitions if you want to. Or, you can do it later (i.e. change whatever gets assigned by default now).

So if necessary you can then use either Partition Wizard or Windows' DISKMGMT.MSC to change the drive letters of all of your new partitions (i.e. both the ones other-than-C that are now on the cloned M.2 NVMe SSD physical drive, as well as whichever one or more "data" partitions you newly created on the old primary SATA drive).  And you should now be done, booting to the M.2 NVMe SSD's "cloned" Windows , with your old SATA drive now available for additional "data".

Or, if you want, just do a complete brand new Windows install targeting the free space of your brand new empty M.2 NVMe SSD, and forget about cloning your existing SATA-based system. You can do this, and still when you're done re-purpose the original SATA drive for "data". But even using this from-scratch method of getting a fully operational brand new Windows onto your M.2 NVMe SSD, you STILL MUST GET INTO THE BIOS TO CHANGE THE BOOT DEVICE LIST SEQUENCE, in order to actually boot from the M.2 NVMe drive instead of from your old SATA primary drive.

Now, please provide the details of what you've actually done.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 12 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:18 AM
i have only installed the m2 ssd as system drive no existing hdd has been removed totally
Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 13 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:22 AM
first I have install m.2 2280 ssd along with hdd and the m.2 drive use as system drive same problem occurs then I have removed all hard drives only install the m.2 ssd as system drive and fresh install windows 10 pro same problem occurs third I have changed ssd install kingstone A2000 m.2 nvme pcie3x4 ssd same problem occurs now we can not blame the ssd because every time same problem occurs irrespective of ssd brand
Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11501 Signins

63351 Page Views

• Message 14 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:25 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

i have only installed the m2 ssd as system drive no existing hdd has been removed totally

So the physical install was as I described above, with the M.2 SSD Storage Bracket accessory part?  And you physically removed your existing HDD? So the M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 Pro is the ONLY drive in your system?

And you did a brand new from-scratch Windows install targeting the brand new empty M.2 NVMe SSD? Did that work? So the BIOS saw the SSD (and it SHOULD be AHCI)?

When you go into the BIOS you can see the M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 Pro? Did you change the BIOS boot device list sequence to have the Samsung NVMe SSD on the top of the list?

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 15 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:42 AM

all done

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 16 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:45 AM

in system information its shows the ssd but in primary boot sequence its showing windows boot manager is in SATA1 but at this time no hard drive is installed in the system you can check the attachment image

Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11501 Signins

63351 Page Views

• Message 17 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:46 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

all done

I don't know what this means.

Are you saying you've now done what you hadn't done before, which is to correct the BIOS to now boot from the NVMe SSD, something you hadn't done before? And everything now works?

Or are you saying you'd already previously done what I suggested, but you still were not having success booting to the newly installed Windows from the NVMe SSD?

Please clarify. What is your current state of things. I now know you only have the M.2 SSD installed, and no other drive in the machine... yes?

Options

2910 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11501 Signins

63351 Page Views

• Message 18 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:48 AM

Ok. We're overlapping and delayed here. I now see this photo of your BIOS, NOT SHOWING THE NVMe M.2 SSD. This is of course wrong.

So how was it possible for you to have installed Windows to the new M.2 NVMe SSD??? If the BIOS doesn't see the Samsung 970 Pro, the Windows installer certainly can't see it.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 19 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:50 AM

as you directed I have already done these steps but problem not solved 

I have also change the m.2 ssd agian purchase a new m.2 ssd from kingstone but same problem 

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 20 of 157

2021-09-07, 4:52 AM
thats the real mystery the ssd is showed in system information but not shown in primary boot sequence
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms