Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2914 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11506 Signins

63406 Page Views

• Views: 63406
  • Message 21 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-07, 5:42 AM

I am at this moment on an M910t (not a M710t as you have). I have a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO installed (physically inserting into the onboard M.2 storage slot of the motherboard, and physically projecting off-board out over that proper separate supporting Lenovo M.2 SSD Storage Adapter Bracket accessory I mentioned earlier, into which its end is secured down to the bracket using the plastic push-pin that came with the bracket).

I also have one internal SATA HDD spinner, which is a 3.5" 6TB WD drive installed in the primary 3.5" drive bay of the M910t.

I also have two external SATA HDD spinner drives, each 1 3.5" 4TB WD drive, both connected through an eSATA adapter I installed on the back of the M910t (with a pair of external eSATA connectors, connecting internally to eSata/SATA connectors on the motherboard). They are each installed into a unique Mercury Elite external enclosure.

I also have one external USB-interface HDD spinner (used as my external drive used for regularly scheduled image/data backups), which is actually a 3.5" 4TB SATA WD drive installed into Yottamaster external USB enclosure. The enclosure handles the SATA drive interface, and delivers it through a USB 3.0 interface to the M910t.

I also have an internal CD/DVD optical drive in the M910t, which is another SATA device.

I am also running Win7 on this machine. But that's not really relevant.

Here is what my BIOS boot sequence looks like.

Note the two early inactive entries of "USB FDD" and "USB KEY". These are early in the list so that if I want to insert a bootable USB flash drive I can do that and the machine will automatically recognize its presence and boot to it, instead of any of the later devices.

Also note next the active USB HDD (which is really the 4TB WDD SATA drive in the Yottamaster enclosure). This is my external backup drive, and is only for "data". It is not actually bootable. But because it is physically detected the BIOS shows it in this list.

Also note next the optical drive, i.e. "SATA 1". The drive is physically present and detected, but there currently is no bootable optical media disc inserted. So it's shown, but will not be used for booting at this time. If/when I ever do insert a bootable optical disc, again rebooting the machine will automatically boot to it because now there IS a bootable media in this device, discovered down in this 4th item in the boot device list.

And finally, down at position 5 in my boot device list, you now see the "M.2 Drive 1" which holds my 250GB Samsung 970 EVO SSD". Of course it IS bootable, so in the absence of any earlier bootable devices being present and detected at boot time, the BIOS will run through the earlier four devices in the list and finally hit this fifth item.  And on this drive of course is the Windows 7 Boot Manager living in the "EFI System Partition".

Note that my BIOS boot list doesn't show "Boot Manager", but rather shows the physical devices. Also note that I have "excluded" from the boot order all of the irrelevant devices that I have no interest in ever booting from. This include "wake on LAN", as well as my internal 6TB "data" drive, as well as my two external 4TB "data" drives.

Here is what Partition Wizard shows for my physical drives:

Here is what my BIOS looks like for "ATA Drive Setup". Note that is is correctly set for AHCI. But of course this affects only the SATA drives, not the M.2 NVMe drive.

And finally, here is what Device Manager looks like (remember, it's Win7). The physical M.2 Samsung 970 EVO shows up as a "disk drive". And the related NVMe storage controller (which is supported by the Samsung NVMe Controller Driver that I manually installed, from the Samsung download site).

Note that standard Windows 10 installation will add the default Microsoft generic version of the NVMe controller driver. So that Storage Controller will have a Microsoft name. The generic MS NVMe Express Controller driver should provide generic support for all vendors, all manufacturers, all brands of M.2 NVMe SSD.

But I prefer to use the latest Samsung-provided NVMe Controller Driver, which is currently version 3.3. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the official Samsung-provided device-aware driver must surely somehow be at least a little bit better than the generic MS one-size-fits-all driver. For example I also have Samsung Magician installed, which provides additional diagnostic and benchmarking capability. I don't know if it would run if the matching Samsung driver were not also installed, but instead just the original MS vanilla generic NVMe driver were present (at least in Win10, where the Samsung NVMe driver is at least optional).

For sure the newer versions of the driver from Samsung would be required to support the absolute very latest versions of M.2 NVMe SSD from Samsung in Win7. Whereas Win10 automatically provides support for NVMe, Win7 does not. So the Samsung driver had to be manually installed by me in order to even get NVMe support into Win7.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 22 of 157

2021-09-07, 5:47 AM
this is correct but unfortunately my m.2 ssd not showing which means some hardware issue in my system board
Options

2914 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11506 Signins

63406 Page Views

• Message 23 of 157

2021-09-07, 5:56 AM

You never said that you were actually able to install Win10 to the new 970 Pro. I would have expected that NOT to be possible, if the BIOS didn't present the drive as physically present.

I still don't understand what you are booting to (or trying to boot to), if you have removed the original SATA 3.5" HDD spinner and only have the M.2 NVMe SSD present. If there is no Windows on that M.2 drive then surely you can't expect to boot to it. If there is a Windows installed on that M.2 drive, how did that ever happen if the BIOS doesn't now see the M.2 drive at all??

Can you actually boot the machine, and if so to what???

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 24 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:02 AM
I have only installed the M.2 ssd but which is not shown in BIOS but still able to install fresh windows 10 any other information needed one more thing when I have changed the samsung 970 pro to kingstone A2000 m.2 2280 nvme ssd ,the kingstone ssd not shown in system information and not not shown in primary boot sequence and for samsung 970 pro this ssd is shown in system information of bios but again not shown in primary boot sequence menu as your picture shows
Options

2914 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11506 Signins

63406 Page Views

• Message 25 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:03 AM

Also, you didn't state what BIOS version you're running? Have you updated to latest BIOS before beginning this whole M.2 project?

Have you tried "reset to BIOS defaults", to see if that clears up all of these anomalies?

If the M.2 drive is physically installed correctly, and pushed in all the way, then it should be visible to the BIOS. And unless this was the case I can't believe you could have installed a new Win10 to it.  So, did you ever actually install Win10 to it?

You're sure the M.2 drive is physically inserted into the connector with the "notch" over towards the right (actually it can't insert any other way, i.e. upside down) and pushed in all the way?

For now, if "Boot Manager" still shows in the BIOS you should "EXCLUDE". I don't know it it will be present after the "reset to BIOS defaults" without any bootable drive in the machine, i.e. if you've removed the Lenovo factory drive.

By the way, can you at least for an experiment go back to the original HDD spinner?  Remove the M.2 drive, reinstall the HDD spinner, and boot the machine. Let's get back to where this all started and be sure everything is still working properly. Then we can come forward slowly.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 26 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:07 AM
I have updated latest BIOS version ,done factory reset of bios but no change same problem occurs
Options

2914 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11506 Signins

63406 Page Views

• Message 27 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:07 AM

One more thing to double-check in the BIOS: PCIe configuration

Here's mine, on my M910t.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 28 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:09 AM
all PCIe are in auto mode as your picture shows
Options

2914 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11506 Signins

63406 Page Views

• Message 29 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:17 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

I have only installed the M.2 ssd but which is not shown in BIOS but still able to install fresh windows 10 any other information neededone more thing when I have changed the samsung 970 pro to kingstone A2000 m.2 2280 nvme ssd ,the kingstone ssd not shown in system information and not not shown in primary boot sequence and for samsung 970 pro this ssd is shown in system information of bios but again not shown in primary boot sequence menu as your picture shows

Fascinating. This tells us Win10 installer somehow did not see that M.2 not as NVMe, but instead did recognize it as some kind of storage and treated it as SATA. I believe just like all display devices are built to support VGA even if they are capable of much more, NVMe devices can be used as SATA/AHCI. This of course would limit their performance and capabilities, but in the absence of properly installed NVMe driver support and special BIOS awareness of NVMe, the physical drive could still be used. I may be wrong here.

Nevertheless your description seems to say that's exactly what happened. If you say you can actually install Win10 to either 970 pro or A2000, and in both cases they're not properly supported as NVMe but rather as SATA, I'm baffled. Pretty sophisticated Win10 installer, but obviously not getting you to where you want to be.

I can't really imagine that the motherboard is defective at that M.2 connector but maybe it is. There's no other way to explain why you cannot see the installed M.2 NVMe drive correctly as Samsung 970 Pro NVMe or the Kingstone A200 NVMe SSD properly named and supported with the correct "storage controller" driver.

Can you please post a screenshot of device manager after booting to win10, showing the expansion of both disk drives as well as storage controller.

Options

2914 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11506 Signins

63406 Page Views

• Message 30 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:22 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

I have also changed the ATA Drive setup settings from AHCI to Intel RST with Intel optane in BIOS but in primary boot sequence menu its still shows windows boot manager in sata 1 .

Did you really do this?  Absolutely wrong.

Have you returned it to AHCI?  Intel RST is for RAID. You want to use the single M.2 NVMe drive as a single physical drive. Not RAID.

This is CRITICAL.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms