Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2918 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63436 Page Views

• Views: 63436
  • Message 31 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-07, 6:30 AM

If you put back that ATA setting to "AHCI" as it should be (and as is shown on my M910t) as it should be, you're going to have to reinstall Win10 onto the M.2 drive all over again.  All partitions currently existing on that M.2 SSD should be DELETED before proceeding.

But this time the device should be seen by BIOS and Win10 installer as NVMe, not SATA.

That's my guess as to what will happen. This surely must be the mistake which explains all symptoms that followed.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 32 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:32 AM
both mode same problem
Options

2918 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63436 Page Views

• Message 33 of 157

2021-09-07, 6:43 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

both mode same problem

I don't quite follow. Are you saying you reverted the BIOS back to "AHCI", SAVE and re-boot, and re-entered the BIOS and the NVMe SSD is still not showing in the boot device list as an M.2 drive, but rather still SATA? I think this may be the result of the initial Win10 install. That's why said you would probably need to DELETE all existing partitions and then reinstall Win10... after being back at AHCI.

Here's my next suggestion: reinstall your HDD spinner and boot to Windows on it. You may have to make sure the BIOS boot device list shows that drive as first.

Leave the M.2 drive in the machine as well. Install Minitool Partition Wizard Free (PW) as I mentioned previously.

Launch PW and see what drives are "visible" on your machine, looking at the expanded bottom part of the GUI window (as I showed in my earlier screenshot from PW for my own M910t). If that M.2 drive is visible I want you to use PW to DELETE all partitions that are on it.

Also, I want to see what Device Manager shows, for both "disk drives" and "storage controller". There will only be that additional storage controller driver for the M.2 drive (either generic MS NVMe Express driver, or if you install it yourself Samsung NVMe Controller driver) if there really is an NVMe device seen. And of course that's what we're trying to achieve, i.e. visibility of the M.2 drive as NVMe.

Hard to believe you've tried two physically different NVMe SSD's and neither is reported by the BIOS to be present and visible. You're sure you're inserting them correctly?? I really can't believe the motherboard and/or connector is defective for NVMe.

Options

2918 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63436 Page Views

• Message 34 of 157

2021-09-07, 7:49 AM

Can you please post screenshots from your BIOS, showing (1) General -> System summary, (2) Startup -> error boot sequence, (3) Startup -> automatic boot sequence.

And just to confirm, you HAVE reverted ATA back to "AHCI". It should NOT be Intel RST or Optane.

Here are mine, from my M910t.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 35 of 157

2021-09-07, 7:52 AM

where is primary boot sequence?

please post the primary boot sequence picture

Options

2918 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63436 Page Views

• Message 36 of 157

2021-09-07, 9:54 AM

I posted my primary boot sequence back up in message #21. First screenshot.   But here it is again:

Now where are your corresponding other two boot sequence screenshots? And, most importantly, where is your "System Summary" from the General tab?? That one is really really informative to this discussion.

And where are the current Device Manager screenshots I requested, if you can boot to the M.2 drive right now (I know, it's "SATA")? Just for reference and documentation.

And, is it possible for you to take the time to do what I also requested, which is to reinstall the original Lenovo factory HDD and boot to it. Leave the M.2 drive physically still in the machine as currently installed, just where it is. And after you boot once again to the HDD please install Partition Wizard Free into that old Windows and post a screenshot of that GUI presentation of your drives (same as I did back in that same message #21). It should look something like this (I'll post it here again, for convenience):

And, still booted to the original Windows from the HDD spinner, one more screenshot from Device Manager. Again I want to see the expansion of both disk drives and storage controller.

Options

2918 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63436 Page Views

• Message 37 of 157

2021-09-07, 13:53 PM

I repeat a question I asked earlier, but you never replied:

Can you confirm that you purchased this M.2 storage bracket, part 4XF0P01011, either from Lenovo or 3rd-party. And that you have snapped the bracket onto the chassis, and then inserted the Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD into the motherboard M.2 storage slot (9), and then fastened down the off-board projecting end of the M.2 SSD to the push-pin-hole at the end of the storage bracket.

If you don't have this bracket installed, and you insert the M.2 SSD into the connector slot, it will simply dangle loosely and probably angle upwards (since the connector socket has a spring inside), and who know if an electrical connection is being made. With that bracket correctly installed the outer end of the SSD card is fastened down tightly to the matching tightening hole in the plastic bracket, and secured by pushing a provided plastic pin through the semi-circular cutout at the end of the card and into the hole underneath it in the bracket.  Now the card is secured and horizontal and correctly fully inserted into the onboard NVMe connector.

I'm just wanting to confirm that you've physically installed the M.2 SSD properly.

Also, the M710t/M910t is out-of-production and no longer available for purchase from Lenovo.  So where did you acquire your M710t?  Used?  Somehow new from a very lucky source?

Was it a new or used machine that you purchased?

Was the machine fully operational normally and properly when you got it?  The original machine delivered with Win7 (which is what I'm still running on my own M910t) so installation of Win10 would have been a DIY afterwards over the past year or two. Probably at least back in January 2020 when MS decommissioned Win7 and insisted that everybody upgrade to Win10, that's probably when your M710t became upgraded to Win10. So did your machine arrive already upgraded to Win10, or was it still Win7?

I'm asking all these questions because you haven't provided any of this background detail and it's really important to know where this machine came from. Perhaps it was "broken" and NVMe-defective to begin with. It really might be helpful and useful if the history of this machine prior to now was known here in this discussion.

I assume you don't have a Lenovo warranty for the machine, since only if it was truly new would that be possible. A used M710t is probably 3-4 years old and the warranty would certainly be expired by now.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 38 of 157

2021-09-07, 23:36 PM

I have installed the bracket 

without installing the bracket its impossible to run windows from m.2 ssd in m710t

If I disable sata controller in ata device then the ssd is showed in system summary and in primary boot sequence it shows windows boot manager loaded in m.2 ssd but in this setup system won't start blue screen errors stopped the system to run

If I removed all hdd from system then again m.2 is not showing in system summery and primary boot sequence

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 39 of 157

2021-09-07, 23:38 PM
I have extended its warranty for 2 years warranty will end on 2023
Options

2918 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63436 Page Views

• Message 40 of 157

2021-09-08, 7:58 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

I have extended its warranty for 2 years warranty will end on 2023

Excellent. So you probably bought the machine new from Lenovo about 5 years ago, with its original initial 3-year warranty. And then you extended it for another 2 years, to 2023.

That's great. So if it really does turn out to be a hardware issue with the motherboard it could be replaced under warranty.

But for now, let's focus on this new information. You've now disabled the ATA controller and magically the M.2 drive now appears both in System Summary and also in Primary Boot Sequence. That's significant progress of course. You have no need for the ATA controller since you've removed the HDD spinner, so this isn't critical. But it certainly is very interesting.

Anyway, I don't believe that the Windows you have currently installed on either the Samsung or Kingston M.2 SSD is usable, now that the drive is being seen and supported as M.2 NVMe on the PCIe bus. Previously it was handled by the SATA controller, which you've disabled.

Don't waste any time trying to solve this. It's unsolvable. As I said previously, you're going to have to reinstall Windows again (it's only 10 minutes) to whichever drive you decide to use for this proof-of-concept, Samsung 970 Pro or just leave the currently installed Kingston SSD in for now.

So, do another cold from-scratch Win10 install to the Kingston M.2 SSD that now appears as M.2. Delete all existing partitions on the target drive at that point in the installer when asked to pick your target, and then point the installer to the now fully empty drive and let it go.  In under 10 minutes it will be done, and re-booted hopefully to your new Win10 desktop booted from that M.2 NVMe SSD.

I believe this should work. You MUST reinstall Windows again, now that the target drive is truly M.2 NVMe on the PCIe bus, not SATA.

If this is successful as I believe it should be, now we can experiment. Let's see what happens if you now re-enable the SATA controllers in the BIOS. Does the M.2 drive still remain, in addition to the now once again visible SATA controllers? And is the M.2 drive still first in the BIOS boot sequence as it is right now and everything is now visible in the System Summary?

Or, after re-enabling the SATA controllers did the M.2 drive once again "disappear"?  And if so, if you then once again disable the SATA controllers does the M.2 drive once again reappear? If so it may truly be that you have a defective motherboard.

But let's see what happens, one thing at a time. First, re-install Windows from scratch to your newly visible M.2 NVMe SSD drive (remember to delete everything from the target drive when offered to pick the target drive) and let's see if that works, and if you finally get to the Windows desktop running from the M.2 NVMe SSD.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms