Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 41 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-08, 8:23 AM

thank you very much for your reply

so there is a probability of faulty motherboard

Options

2917 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63431 Page Views

• Views: 63431
  • Message 42 of 157

2021-09-08, 10:49 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

so there is a probability of faulty motherboard

No idea yet. but I guess it's possible.

You've now achieved some level of success, at least being able to "see" the M.2 drive in the BIOS. You were not able to ever see that before. I had no idea that your trick of disabling the ATA controllers would simultaneously produce the visibility of the M.2 drive. Clearly this is NOT what should be happening, because both SATA and M.2 NVMe drives are BOTH supposed to be visible if present. One does not preclude the other from being used in your machine. So I didn't even think to suggest that trick to you, to see if that might kick-start the M.2 drive into visibility. It certainly doesn't make sense, and "should not occur". But kudos to you for even thinking of that tweak... which miraculously turned to to yield a giant breakthrough.

So at the very least, we've demonstrated a "should not occur" situation. I suppose it could be caused by a faulty motherboard. If the machine is under warranty then that is at least now a no-cost-to-you option. So that's good.

But first let's gather some more information, before blaming it on a faulty motherboard.  I absolutely want you to do another cold fresh reinstall Windows from scratch to the now visible M.2 drive. It was never visible that way before, but it's visible now. So let's take advantage of it. And if it works, then you're home free really, because you don't have any SATA needs and can leave the BIOS set just the way it is now, with SATA disabled.

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave the machine that way, but you may not care.

However first let's see if you can reinstall Windows to the M.2 drive and then boot to it successfully with no BSOD. If you get that far then you're going to re-enable the SATA controllers in the BIOS, and see if you can still see the M.2 drive along with the now re-visible SATA controllers or if the M.2 drive once again disappears making it impossible to boot to Windows. Of course if BOTH the M.2 drive and the SATA controllers are both visible (something that has NOT been the case these past few days) then we'll be really confused as to what was going on these past few days.

Anyway, let's first find out these experimental results first. And then we can speculate on whether the results are explained with a defective motherboard, or maybe just something else.

==> PLEASE REINSTALL WINDOWS FROM SCRATCH TO THE M.2 SSD and report results

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 43 of 157

2021-09-08, 11:44 AM
definitely I will fresh install windows 10
Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 44 of 157

2021-09-08, 11:47 AM
but after installation of fresh windows 10 in the m.2 ssd if I again enable the sata and m.2 disappears from system information and primary boot sequence list then can I blame the motherboard???
Options

2917 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63431 Page Views

• Message 45 of 157

2021-09-08, 13:06 PM

@ papun2020 wrote:

but after installation of fresh windows 10 in the m.2 ssd if I again enable the sata and m.2 disappears from system information and primary boot sequence list then can I blame the motherboard???

I would say YES. Definitely should NOT be happening. Obviously BOTH the M.2 NVMe drive as well as any other SATA drves/devices that are present should definitely ALL BE VISIBLE EVERYWHERE. System Summary, boot device sequence, Windows Device Manager, etc. all SATA devices plus M.2 NVMe if present, everything should be visible.

So if the M.2 drive is NOT visible except if you DISABLE the SATA controllers, well of course that makes no sense at all. And it clearly should NOT BE HAPPENING.

What else is there to blame but something faulty on the motherboard? In this case open a ticket with Lenovo, and per your warranty they will diagnose the problem and replace the motherboard if that's what they think is appropriate to resolve the problem.

But first things first. Fresh Windows install to the now-visible M.2 NVMe SSD, and let's go from there.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 46 of 157

2021-09-08, 13:14 PM

ok I have done fresh installation but as I told you if  I enable the sata controller then m.2 disappears from both system information and primary boot sequence if I disable the sata controller then its clearly shows, check the screenshots

Options

2917 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63431 Page Views

• Message 47 of 157

2021-09-08, 13:42 PM

Ok. That's what we wanted to find out. Now we know.

As to the results of your new Windows install, can you now successfully boot to it? Do you get to the Windows desktop without a BSOD?  Is everything working now properly?

Remember, before you could not boot the the previously installed Windows on that Kingston drive, which had been installed when it was still inexplicably a SATA drive (because you'd enabled Intel RST and Optane for SATA in the BIOS, rather than leaving it as AHCI. This actually might have something to do with the strange behavior we're seeing, where you can only see the M.2 drive as M.2 if you totally disable SATA. But we shall pursue that later (and it truly may be unresolvable by anything other than a total motherboard replacement, as I recall somewhere about pre-ordering machine with RAID factory configured, that you could not do it yourself after receiving a machine set at AHCI).

Anyway, forget about that for now. I want to know if your newly installed Windows to the clearly stated Kingston now definitely seen as M.2 NVMe SSD is working correctly?

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 48 of 157

2021-09-08, 13:47 PM

nvme ssd working fine but I can not use extra hdd as storage

because after enable the sata controller m.2 disappears and in primary boot sequence windows boot manager is loaded in sata 1

Options

2917 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11507 Signins

63431 Page Views

• Message 49 of 157

2021-09-08, 13:54 PM

Well, at this point I would contact Lenovo. The motherboard is not working properly. Obviously you should be able to see both SATA and M.2 NVMe at the same time, with SATA enabled and even with an actual HDD installed along with the M.2 NVMe SSD. I remind you that is exactly how I run my own M910t, and I also have two additional eSATA external drives (they're conceptually internal SATA drives, just physically located outside the machine).

So, time for a replacement motherboard. Again I have this recollection that some machine(s) had to be pre-ordered from Lenovo as RAID, and that you could not change them from AHCI to RAID by yourself, after-market. You had to get RAID turned on at the factory and the Windows system that was delivered on the factory HDD/SSD you bought was a RAID-aware Windows. Otherwise, drives are unique and physically separately addressed, and AHCI-supported.

So it's possible something happened when you experimented with Intel RST in the BIOS. I think that was a bad thing, a wrong thing, but I don't know if it explains what's currently happening.

Anyway I'm sympathetic to your objective of getting the HDD back into the primary 3.5" drive bay and using it as a second "data storage" drive.

Time for a warranty trouble ticket call to Lenovo India. If you're under warranty there should be no problem. Just a possible time issue to get the part. But you're entitled to it, as your machine is "failing" at a hardware level.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 50 of 157

2021-09-08, 14:00 PM

actually after selecting intel rst the freezing or hanging duration is decreased when ahci was selected then almost 1-2 minutes system is hanged but in intel rst mode freezing or hanging time just 3-4 seconds thats the reason I have changed it to intel rst

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms