Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Views: 63476
  • Message 51 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-08, 14:23 PM

Intel RST at the BIOS level is nomenclature for RAID. Intel also (confusingly) offers an "Intel RST" driver software add-on for SATA/AHCI, which is supposed to improve ordinary vanilla SATA performance. Unimportant whether or not this is true, or if you might ever actually benefit from it. Important, however, is the confusion caused by their using the identical names for two entirely opposite purposes.

Forget it. Whatever you previously saw or experienced, forget it. You were not using M.2 NVMe correctly, because M.2 was invisible, because you had SATA enabled in your BIOS which we have now learned somehow and for some reason makes M.2 invisible. This is ALL WRONG!  This should not be happening. I don't know what you mean by hanging or delay, but it doesn't matter. It's all irrelevant.

Trust me. You should be able have BOTH and M.2 NVMe SSD in that slot, as well as at least one SATA drive in the primary bay. Trust me. That's how the machine is supposed to work.

I assume you are no longer seeing "hanging" or "delays" with your brand new freshly re-installed Windows to the M.2 SSD actually working as an M.2 SSD NVMe on the PCIe bus, and not being supported incorrectly as a SATA device (perhaps because of your Intel RST BIOS setting and what it did).

Forget it all!  You now have a presumably normal functioning Windows off of a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. If that were all you needed you could live with it. But since you also want to reinstall your SATA HDD for secondary data storage, you're going to need some warranty ticket with Lenovo to get you a new motherboard with a properly configured BIOS and chipset, that WILL support both M.2 and SATA.

You can play all you want right now with your M.2-only machine. But if you want to get SATA back it's going to take a warranty ticket with Lenovo because it sure seems like that motherboard you have has gone south.

Options

5905 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8541 Signins

140518 Page Views

• Views: 140518
  • Message 52 of 157

2021-09-08, 14:26 PM

As part of the troubleshooting, were the BIOS default settings loaded and saved?  It also may be prudent to reflash the BIOS. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 53 of 157

2021-09-08, 14:42 PM

@ BiggAl wrote:

As part of the troubleshooting, were the BIOS default settings loaded and saved?  It also may be prudent to reflash the BIOS. 

He did say back up in message #26 that he had updated to the latest BIOS version and also done what he called "factory reset of BIOS" which I take to mean "reload optimized BIOS defaults". Says it had no effect relative to this problem of SATA-only or M.2-only but not both.

I still haven't learned where he bought his machine from, either Lenovo "outlet" or "refurb" with warranty, or from someone else. The fact that he says he has a warranty extending to 2023 on a machine that was "new" back in 2017 or older, means maybe he bought it new back then with the original 3-year warranty, and then renewed it for another 2-3 years when that opportunity arose. Whatever the explanation he says he is under warranty.

So at this point we've done all the diagnosis we can do, and tried all of the usual things to try. I confess I had never thought to disable SATA because I never came across any machine that failed to see M.2 NVMe when physically supported. I certainly wouldn't have intuitively guessed that disabling SATA would magically bring M.2 NVMe to life! This is not a software issue. We're talking about BIOS issues, and or chipset/hardware malfunction. It is after all presumably at least a 4-5 year old machine.

But thankfully, it's under warranty. So it should just be a ticket started to get Lenovo to solve the problem. There may be a wait to get the parts, depending on his type of warranty. But it should be handled properly and eventually by Lenovo.

That's my suggestion to him at this point. And he can go back and install the Samsung 970 Pro instead of the Kingston if he wants to.  But at this point I don't think he's going to get support for the SATA HDD back without a new motherboard.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 54 of 157

2021-09-08, 23:35 PM

Is this machine M710t supports only one m.2 ssd or sata hdd?

can you give me block diagram of the motherboard?

Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 55 of 157

2021-09-09, 5:10 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

Is this machine M710t supports only one m.2 ssd or sata hdd?

can you give me block diagram of the motherboard?

Only one M.2 SSD slot on the motherboard, shown as item (9) on the motherboard layout diagram which I already have posted back up on message #11 way back early in this thread.

You can find all the details and specs about the M710t in the PSREF for the machine, including all optional configurations (typically shown as "some:" in the PSREF).

As I mentioned back in message #11 when showing where the M.2 storage slot (9) was on the motherboard, the PSREF says that there are two M.2 slots but one of them (22) is for an M.2 WiFi card, not for storage. But the PSREF also says that the M.2 storage slot (9) can support Intel Optane storage, but that is NOT what either your Samsung 970 Pro or Kingston SA2000 is, which is a standard M.2 NVMe SSD. Again, this was supposed to be supported by AHCI, not Intel RST and/or Optane.

Interestingly, now looking at your recently posted BIOS System Summary which is now finally showing the M.2 SSD ever since you disabled the ATA controllers (and we both know this should NOT have been necessary, of course), I see that your particular M710t is actually a "big boy machine". It has a 7th-generation Intel Core i7-7700 CPU in it, and it has the full 64GB of memory in it. This is actually the maxed-out top-of-the-line best possible CPU that was offered with the M710t and all four memory DIMM slots populated with the fastest memory speed supported by the 7th-generation CPU, i.e. DDR4-2400Mhz.

As far as additional internal HDD storage (SATA), you can get all the details including how to install/replace all parts from the M710t Hardware Maintenance Manual. The physical internal block diagram of the case and motherboard are in this manual. And starting on page 30 of the manual it shows how to replace the 3.5" HDD drive with another 3.5" HDD drive, or how to instead use the 3.5"-to-2.5" adapter bracket in the same 3.5" bay if you wanted to replace the 3.5" HDD with a a 2.5" SSD (all still SATA).

However there is nothing which should prevent you from having BOTH storage devices in the M710t (same as I have in my M910t). You've installed an M.2 SSD correctly in the M.2 storage slot, and fastened it down securely because you also purchased that M.2 SSD Storage Kit accessory part which is required. And you should also be able to have a SATA HDD or SSD in that primary drive bay (i.e. the one you removed previously, you should really be able to leave it installed and re-purpose it for "data"), same as I have in my M910t. Or, if you wanted to you could replace the original factory 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD, like the Samsung 860 Pro or EVO, using a proper adapter bracket.

But back to reality. Have you opened your Lenovo warranty ticket yet, for a replacement motherboard? We do still believe there must be a hardware issue with your current machine, since there is absolutely no reason both SATA and M.2 NVMe cannot both be in the machine simultaneously, and both be visible to BIOS and Windows.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 56 of 157

2021-09-09, 6:15 AM

I have already opened ticket at lenovo

but my query "is this motherboard supports both simultaneously  m.2 as system drive with sata hdd as storage?

Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 57 of 157

2021-09-09, 10:45 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

I have already opened ticket at lenovo

but my query "is this motherboard supports both simultaneously  m.2 as system drive with sata hdd as storage?

Of course it does. Same as every machine with both SATA controller M.2 NVMe PCIe support in its BIOS.

In passing I mention that whether you choose to use the M.2 drive as the Windows system drive, or the SATA HDD/SSD as the Windows system drive, with the other drive being used for "data storage", this choice is entirely yours. Any drive can be used for any purpose, as long as your install of Windows to the correct target drive matches your objective.

Of course given the fact that M.2 NVMe drives are 7 times as fast as SATA drives you'd probably be foolish to waste that 3500MB/s speed for "data", restricting the operating system to the 500MB/s speed limit of a SATA drive. Obviously you'd instead want to put Windows on the 7x faster M.2 NVMe drive thus making your Windows operating environment performance many times speedier, and place data on the slower SATA drive where performance is not critical. That's only common sense.

But theoretically, when you have two or more storage drives you can configure things any way you want. Including changing changing your mind after the fact and rearranging things to move the system drive from one location to another, move data partitions to some other location, etc. You have full control and freedeom and flexibility to do whatever you want. Create as many partitions you want, on any storage drives you want (SATA or M.2) that you happen to physically have in your machine.

And of course this is certainly true because the machine is supposed to support both SATA and M.2 NVMe without limit, with one or more drives of both types present and visible to BIOS and Windows. Your M710t is unique, however, seemingly malfunctioning (and it will hopefully be repaired by Lenovo). But theoretically you should have had absolutely no problem doing what you originally tried to do.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 58 of 157

2021-09-09, 11:52 AM
I have doubt because the chipset of M710t is B250 which is different from M910t so is there any chance that M710t only support two sata drive or one m.2 nvme ssd?
Options

2924 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11510 Signins

63476 Page Views

• Message 59 of 157

2021-09-09, 16:38 PM

@ papun2020 wrote:

I have doubt because the chipset of M710t is B250 which is different from M910t so is there any chance that M710t only support two sata drive or one m.2 nvme ssd?

Absolutely zero chance that the motherboard chipset doesn't support SATA as well as M.2 NVMe. Absolutely zero. No such thing.

And as shown in the Intel B250 chipset specs:

Neither manufacturer provides any caveat limiting BIOS configuration to either SATA or M.2 NVMe but not both. In fact there's no way to even disable M.2 NVMe support. It's just there!  Only SATA can be disabled, if for some reason you might want to do it. The fact that on your own M710 somehow magically disabling SATA also makes M.2 NVMe visible where it wasn't visible when SATA was active, well that's honestly just a "should not occur" situation. Has to be a defective hardware issue which will be fixed by a replacement motherboard. I'm certain of that.

As the motherboard layout posted earlier shows, the M710t has three onboard SATA data connectors on the motherboard, supporting not only optional SATA HDD/SSD drives in the primary bay but also an optical SATA CD/DVD drive with the proper mounting bracket. Even if there were no 3.5" SATA HDD or 2.5" SATA SDD installed but only an M.2 NVMe SSD, there surely very likely could/would still be an optical drive. And that would still require SATA to be active and operational in addition to the M.2 NVMe SSD for storage.

If an optical CD/DVD drive is installed (as it is on my M910t), Lenovo ships it with CyberLink PowerDVD software installed. And it's operational. So clearly SATA is working. And yet an M.2 NVMe SSD can also be installed (as I did), without losing any of the SATA/eSATA support also provided by the chipset.

And the machine also has two M.2 connectors on the motherboard, one for M.2 WiFi card and the other for M.2 storage card. Even if there were no M.2 NVMe SSD present but only the 3.5"/2.5" SATA HDD/SSD for storage, there still might be the M.2 Wifi card. 

The PCIe 3.0x4 spec means PCIe 3.0 speed and 4-lanes of data transfer. That provides for M.2 NVMe SSD storage speeds up to about 3500MB/s which is what I get from the Samsung 970 EVO on my M910t.

Honestly, your M710t story is unique and "should not occur". SATA and M.2 NVMe (i.e. PCIe 3.0 x 4 lanes) are both fully supported by the B250... SIMULTANEOUSLY... on the M710t motherboard. That's what the hardware is supposed to do, same as with my somewhat stronger M910t (with its stronger Q270 chipset) but on a slightly smaller scale. 

A fully decked-out M710t could have all of these devices installed and in-use, and they would all work.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 60 of 157

2021-09-10, 1:39 AM

Get some success 

what I have done actually

at first I have disabled the sata controller now only m.2 drive is showing then I have installed fresh windows 10 after installation just enable the sata controller again 

now m.2 and hdd all are visible in both system info and primary boot sequence

also the windows boot manager is in m.2 drive

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms