Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2925 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11513 Signins

63516 Page Views

• Views: 63516
  • Message 61 of 157

Re:M710 Tower - Aftermarket modifications (SSD, HDD)

2021-09-10, 3:02 AM

@ papun2020 wrote:

Get some success 

what I have done actually

at first I have disabled the sata controller now only m.2 drive is showing then I have installed fresh windows 10 after installation just enable the sata controller again 

now m.2 and hdd all are visible in both system info and primary boot sequence

I'm sure this is terrific news, and would suggest that magically somehow there is no longer any hardware defect seemingly present in your motherboard! Somehow, this just suddenly "fixed itself" as a result of the very simple action of merely re-enabling the SATA controller again after yesterday's reinstall from scratch of Windows again per my request of you, once the M.2 device suddenly appeared in the BIOS after disabling the SATA controller.  And now, after re-enabling SATA controllers, this time now BOTH the M.2 and SATA drives are visible! 

You do realize this is 100% contrary to what you yourself posted just yesterday in message #46 of this thread. Yesterday we had the remarkable discovery that if you disabled the SATA controller that magically the M.2 drive suddenly appeared in the BIOS as a real M.2 device. But you couldn't boot to it (i.e. to Boot Manager in the BIOS boot devise list) without getting BSOD.

Then I told you to forget about that previously installed Windows on that M.2 drive when it was handled as SATA (perhaps when you had the BIOS set to SATA -> Intel RST and Optane, instead of AHCI as it should have been). I told you to make sure SATA was AHCI (or disabled), and then run a fresh brand new Windows install again to the now visible M.2 device. And report back if you could now boot to the newly installed Windows running from the M.2 drive without BSOD.  And then if you could do that, could you now reenable SATA in the BIOS and still see the M.2 drive or not.

And that's what you did yesterday, and you reported your results in message #46.  And to quote your own words: "ok I have done fresh installation but as I told you if  I enable the sata controller then m.2 disappears from both system information and primary boot sequence if I disable the sata controller then its clearly shows, check the screenshots". I interpreted this to mean that you did try re-enabling SATA after this second from-scratch Windows install to the officially visible M.2 drive, and it still failed. In other words, just as before, the M.2 drive disappeared and the SATA devices appeared, or the SATA devices disappeared and the M.2 drive appeared. You still couldn't have both.

But as I look at your screenshots now in yesterday's message #46, I'm confused. The pictures show the M.2 present and SATA disabled. It doesn't show SATA present and M.2 missing.

And now here today you post "success", after doing exactly what I asked you to do yesterday which you reported "no success" trying. And yet today you report "it worked" and I have Windows newly installed to the M.2 drive and operational (same as was the case yesterday, but with SATA still disabled). And yet today, after reenabling SATA (which I thought you'd done yesterday as well) miraculously the M.2 drive remains visible and operational, and the SATA devices have come back to life as well!!  I assume SATA is set to AHCI.

In other words, somehow everything has become perfect. And your motherboard appears non-defective!  And the M710t seems to now be configured just as the Lenovo specs and Intel B250 chipset specs described. You obviously CAN have BOTH the M.2 drive present as well as SATA drives. Just as documented. Your motherboard has somehow "healed itself".

Now let's look for a moment at the very latest screenshot you posted above, which shows that the M.2 drive is alive and active with Boot Manager, and you have now TWO SATA DRIVES installed!!!  You never mentioned before that you had TWO SATA DRIVES, but that's what the screenshot shows: (1) WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB internal 3.5" HDD 7200rpm spinner, and (2) Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB internal 3.5" HDD 7200rpm spinner.

How do you have TWO 3.5" HDD drives inside your M710t? Did you do that yourself?  Is one of them external? 

Anyway, can you please clarify how many times you've installed Windows to that M.2 drive? Once you did it when it seemed to be supported as SATA rather than NVMe, perhaps when the BIOS was set to Intel RST rather than AHCI. That state of things occupied most of the first 4 pages of this thread.

Then yesterday you discovered that if you disabled SATA in the BIOS, that miraculously you now could see the M.2 drive as M.2 NVMe like it should have been all along. Yes, the SATA devices were gone, but the M.2 drive was now present.

And I then insisted you reinstall Windows again, to that now visible M.2 drive. And you did that at least once, yesterday. And in message #46 you reported you still couldn't activate the SATA devices even after this without losing the M.2 drive again. Or at least that's what I thought you said. Perhaps it's just some English difficulty. But I do want you to clarify it now. What happened yesterday after you reinstalled Windows and then  you or did you not try to activate SATA? And if you did, did the M.2 drive disappear and SATA reappeared?  Or not?

And then please clarify what just happened today. Did you once again reinstall Windows to the M.2 drive for a third time, or did you just activate SATA again (for the second time) and this time everything remained visible and you had a perfect motherboard?

Bottom line: please clearly describe what your current condition is, and if you are going to cancel the Lenovo ticket to get a replacement motherboard under warranty:

(1) do you have SATA enabled in the BIOS? And you can boot to the M.2 NVMe Kingston drive and run Windows normally, and you see your two external HDD spinner drives (probably as letters D and E, or something).

(2) how do you have two 3.5" HDD spinners in your M710t? How are they physically installed, and what accessories or brackets or mounting adapters did you have to buy in order to add the second 3.5" drive? Or is one of them external?

(3) How many times did you install Windows to the Kingston M.2 NVMe SSD once you were able to see the device as M.2 NVMe?  Once? Twice? Did you redo it again today? But as of today,right now, it's installed and operational? And Windows C is visible and usable, as is D and E for your other internal 3.5" drives?

(4) Are you going to stick with the Kingston SSD or are you going to remove it and return to the Samsung 970 Pro? If you are going back to the Samsung you'll have to repeat the Window install of course, but I imagine everything should go without a problem this time even leaving SATA enabled and with M.2 visible in BIOS and available for the Windows installer (just remember to first delete all previous partitions from that Samung drive, to let the whole drive again be fully available to the Windows installer).

(5) Are you going to cancel the Lenovo ticket?

(6) Do you now agree that Lenovo didn't misrepresent the specs on this machine about supporting M.2 NVMe?

We still don't have a full understanding about why all that you've gone through up until this minute has happened. Or why the seemingly defective motherboard just today magically fixed itself and now fully supports BOTH the M.2 NVMe drive as well as two internal SATA drives. And you've been able to successfully install Windows to that M.2 Kingston drive (and probably could also install it to your Samsung 970 Pro as well, right now if you wanted to) and boot to it and operate properly.

But this story does now seem to have a happy ending.

You have emerged victorious.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 62 of 157

2021-09-10, 3:12 AM

the process of installing windows in the m.2 nvme drive is at first disable sata controller install the os after complete installation enable the sata controller 

now all m.2 and sata hdd both will work smoothly

I have added extra hdd after purchase

but I think this complicated setup is not required for your M910t

I will remove kingstone and go for samsung 970 pro

one more thing after enabling sata controller it is by default in ahci mode if I change it intel rst then again blue screen error

Options

2925 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11513 Signins

63516 Page Views

• Message 63 of 157

2021-09-10, 3:28 AM

Well that is a truly remarkable revelation, that it is necessary to first disable the SATA controller in order to even see the M.2 NVMe for installation of Windows, much less to actually get Windows installed.

And only then, after successfully installing Windows to the M.2 NVMe SSD, now you can re-enable SATA controller and somehow you can now see both M.2 and SATA drives.

So you are now at a "normal" state, with everything visible and everything enabled and both M.2 and SATA present in your machine. So if you wanted to reinstall again, Windows right this second, why couldn't you just do it??? Right now, right over the existing contents of your Kingston drive? It's visible, so you should be able to reinstall Windows to it (again, first deleting the existing partitions to make room for the new install). This is just as it always should have been, of course, with both M.2 and SATA (AHCI) visible and usable.

So I still don't see why that opening trick was ever needed, to first disable SATA in order to make M.2 finally visible, so that you could complete at least this one correct install, so that you could then reenable SATA and now magically finally see everything!

If you removed the Kingston drive right this second, and installed the Samsung 970 Pro, and booted directly into the BIOS, do you not think you would still see the two SATA drives as well as the M.2 NVMe device now reporting properly as the Samsung 970 Pro? Since you're going to go back to the Samsung anyway why don't you do that right this second (if you haven't already done it)? There may be a garbage residual Windows installed on it from days ago, but you're going to delete all partitions anyway and start over... same as you just did with the Kingston.

I wonder if the successful install of Windows to the M.2 NVMe drive (yes, temporarily with SATA disabled) somehow cause Windows to do something to the NVRAM on the machine itself, cleaning up the AHCI anomaly, and now making the motherboard work correctly as it always should have, and show both SATA and NVMe.

Anyway, move forward with replacing the Kingston with Samsung, leave the SATA controllers enabled, boot to the BIOS and be sure everything is still visible, and then install Windows again from scratch onto the Samsung. I think you should be successful.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 64 of 157

2021-09-10, 3:53 AM

hope so

but if lenovo gives a nvme option in bios then no need for disable or re enable sata controller

one more thing I have done I have delete all partitions of hdd and m.2 ssd then install windows 

after the os installation I have again disable the sata controller and again install the os in m.2 drive because sata controller disabled so no hdd in system 

after this second installation system is working normal

I think in your m910t no need of these steps

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 65 of 157

2021-09-10, 5:50 AM
but system freeze problem not solved if I want to open task manager then system is hanged for 3 to 4 seconds
Options

2925 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11513 Signins

63516 Page Views

• Message 66 of 157

2021-09-10, 11:48 AM

Well, does this unexpected delay occur starting any other ordinary programs or apps? What about launching other Windows systems programs, like Control Panel, DISKMGMT.MSC, Services app, etc.?

Launching Task Manager should certainly not be several seconds, especially with your i7-7700 CPU and 64GB of memory and M.2 NVMe SSD. I agree this is unexpected.

Have you looked into Event Viewer app, to see if there are any errors or unusual events occurring, especially with a timestamp that matches when you're trying to launch Task Manager.

Options

2925 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11513 Signins

63516 Page Views

• Message 67 of 157

2021-09-10, 12:13 PM

@ papun2020 wrote:

hope so

but if lenovo gives a nvme option in bios then no need for disable or re enable sata controller

one more thing I have done I have delete all partitions of hdd and m.2 ssd then install windows 

after the os installation I have again disable the sata controller and again install the os in m.2 drive because sata controller disabled so no hdd in system 

after this second installation system is working normal

I think in your m910t no need of these steps

There is no such BIOS option to disable M.2 NVMe support. It's simply present in the chipset, and should not malfunction or need to be disabled.

And again, there should be no reason to first disable SATA for any reason at all (unless you truly have no desire to use SATA at all, ever). Otherwise, just leave it on. Can't hurt anything if you have no SATA HDD/SSD drive installed. And simply because the SATA controllers are seen on the motherboard the Windows installed will also include potential support for SATA drives in the future, even though you don't have any right now. But we're talking about trivial savings of anything.

There absolutely should not be any need do do what you've concocted here as a scheme to make the M.2 NVMe drive become visible, so that you could then install Windows to it. Just should not be necessary.

However I confess that you have now totally confused me with your above statement:"

(a) one more thing I have done I have delete all partitions of hdd and m.2 ssd then install windows 

(b) after the os installation I have again disable the sata controller and again install the os in m.2 drive because sata controller disabled so no hdd in system 

(c) after this second installation system is working normal

What are you saying in (a)??  Was this "install Windows" done to one of your two HDD drives, while the SATA controller was eanbled so that you could see the drives, and after first deleting all partitions on both SATA drives, but without the M.2 drive being visible??  So did you just install Windows to one of your hard drives?? Why would you do that, when you want those drives to be for data?? You want to install Windows to the M.2 drive, not either of the SATA HDD drives. So why did you even spend the time doing this??

Next, what are you saying in (b)?? Having just completed a Windows install to one of the two HDD drives, you now disable the SATA controller to make the two drives invisible and bring the M.2 drive to life. And then you do a second Windows install to the M.2 drive (after first deleting all partitions on it)? So now you have another copy of installed Windows (AND A SECOND BOOT MANAGER PARTITON!!!) on the M.2 drive. But you still have no SATA drives, because SATA is still disabled in the BIOS. I would speculate that this second install of Windows to the M.2 drive did NOT include support for SATA, because it wasn't visible during the install.

And finally what are you saying in (c)??  How could the system be "working normal"??  You still haven't yet re-enabled SATA according to what you've written, so how could those HDD drives be visible?  They can't be, so your system is NOT working normally at all!  It should still only have the M.2 drive, with a Windows on it.  There's also another Windows system on one of the HDD drives from step (b), but it's not even visible or bootable since the BIOS is still set to disable SATA.

So, did you just forget to write that you re-enabled SATA at some point between (b) and (c), or maybe after (c)?

I'm honestly very confused by all the things you're doing all at once now here, but not clearly writing each step along the way. I now think you have (for some reason) a copy of Windows installed on one of the HDD drives. Why would that be appropriate? You certainly are never going to boot to that drive, even if you could while the M.2 drive and SATA HDD drives were all visible at the same time, because your real Windows is that final one you installed to the M.2 drive, not the one you earlier installed to one of the HDD drives.

Do you or do you not have SATA currently enabled? Do you or do you not see the two SATA drive as well as the M.2 drive? And if everything is visible, WHEN DID THAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN? What made that happen, and exactly when did you do it?  And did you first re-enable SATA and simply forget to mention it in your written steps??

Bottom line: NONE OF THIS SHOULD BE NECESSARY!!!  You just install the drives you want, SATA and NVMe and all should be visible to the BIOS. You run the Windows installer to the target drive you want to make the Windows boot drive. If there are any residual partitions that don't contain any real data at the moment, you're free to delete all of them during the Windows install when prompted to pick the target open free space for the Windows install. And then you install.

And there's nothing else to think about. It just works. You can certainly install to the M.2 drive and also have SATA HDD drives present, either with data partitions on them or not, doesn't matter. Nothing extraordinary that you've done in order to enable you to install Windows to the M.2 drive should be necessary. You should not have to first do a totally unnecessary install to the HDD (while no M.2 drive is visible, which again should not be occurring), in order to then wipe it out after you re-enable SATA to make the M.2 drive to now be visible so as to then do a second Windows install to the M.2 drive. And then what do you do about that first Windows you earlier installed to the SATA HDD drive in (b)?  This is really crazy.

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 68 of 157

2021-09-10, 14:27 PM

service engineer comes change the motherboard but we check the motherboard carefully 

a vital information is available in the motherboard which is this mother has 3 sata port and one nvme port but where nvme port is located clearly written that this sata4 which means physically 4 sata ports is available  and  3 has sata connection option and last one has nvme option so lenovo should written in the data sheet that this board only support sata ssd not nvme ssd if we install nvme ssd then it will use ahci protocol for data transfer which is sata protocol actually not too fast to handle nvme data flow.

Because I have again 3 times fresh install of windows 10 if after installing the os I enable the sata controller and the sata operation mode is in intel rst then blue screen occurs but if changed ahci its runs

so conclusion is nvme port is not supported trully nvme 1.3 it can be used as sata ssd

Options

120 Posts

08-12-2020

India

47 Signins

355 Page Views

• Message 69 of 157

2021-09-10, 14:49 PM

watch the red marked area 

this is picture of the motherboard

Options

2925 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11513 Signins

63516 Page Views

• Message 70 of 157

2021-09-10, 16:53 PM

Please boot to the Windows you've got installed on the M.2 SSD. Hopefully you've also got the SATA controller enabled so that the two SATA HDD drives are also visible, to BIOS and Windows.

Install and run HWINFO64.

Please post screenshot of (a) opening summary, showing your storage drives in lower left corner. You should see both the M.2 SSD as well as your two SATA drives.  Here is what my own M910t looks like, with its one internal 6TB SATA drive, two external 4TB SATA drives (connected via eSATA, using two of the four SATA/eSATA controller sockets on the M910t motherboard), and one M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 EVO SSD.

Then go into DRIVES and expand, and select the M.2 SSD item, and post your screenshot.  Here is what my own M910t looks like:

And finally, go to Windows Device Manager. Expand DISK DRIVES and STORAGE CONTROLLER. If you haven't installed the Samsung NVMe Controller Driver for the M.2 NVMe 970 Pro, you will still have the Microsoft generic NVMe Express controller showing there. If there is an NVMe drive then there MUSE be a device shown here in Storage Controller. Here is what my M910t looks like.

And then if you right-click on the NVMe disk drive -> Properties -> Driver details, here is what I show for the drivers involved with supporting this drive:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms