cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PI71
Paper Tape
Views: 812
Message 1 of 9

M710q Tiny: Memory RAM upgrade to 32 GB = Shutdown in minutes. Solved: use Kingston memory

I just installed two 16 gb DDR4-2400 modules on my Tiny desktop and within minutes the computer just shuts down.  I tested the modules on another like desktop and same issue occured.  I am however able to sucessfully run with a single 16 GB or a combination of 16 GB and 4 GB modules.  The shutdown occurs only when using the full 32 gb.  I have verified with Crucial that the modules are compatible.  I have also tried another set of modules with same results.  Chipset and Bios are up to date and this is a clean build of Windows 10, version 1809.  Thoughts on what could be the issue?

Mod:  edit the Subject line to clarify problem description, add solution

WoodytheTech
Paper Tape
Views: 608
Message 2 of 9

Re: M710Q Ram upgrade to 32GB = Issues

I have run into the same issue with Lenovo M900 Tiny model 10FM and above at my workplace.  One stick of 16GB will work (using that now), two sticks however shuts down the system 1 minute into power up...

I used Crucials memory checker, received two DDR4-2400 sodimm 1.2v cl17 16gb dual sided chips (kit of 2x16GB).  System would power up, go into Windows 10, be up for Approx 1 minute and system would power off.  You cannot repower the system, it turns on and shuts off immediately.  Pulling power to the device, plugging in again, will let it power to same point as before.  Approx 1 minute into having both modules installed.

Currently allowing the 16gb to remain to monitor for any issues.  The stick that came out was from the manufacturer, an 8gb with QC M02089 on it, no other markings.  It will not work in either socket with the 16gb chip.  TC steps as follows:

- Both 16 gb chips installed, power off after 1 minute up

- Single 16gb chip, stable

- Single 8gb chip, stable

- Swap 16gb chips in sockets, power off after 1 minute up

- New set of 16 gb modules, same issue as before (these were slightly higher freqency of 2666MHz)

Seems like a power issue on the mobo, too much draw.  As a cannot find any information on the installed chip itself creates a problem I can't get past.

Mod:  edited to correct the system type

WoodytheTech
Paper Tape
Views: 573
Message 3 of 9

Most likely the ram you have onboard already (before upgrade) is non-ecc ddr4 2133MHz from the Manufacturer.  Ran into the same issue on m900's, some of them are 2133 specific.

BTW Crucial is wrong, happened to my workplace IT department also.  DDR4 2133MHz 32GB kit (2x16) is what is supported.

cgallery
What's DOS?
Views: 468
Message 4 of 9

Having the exact same issue on a new M710Q.  The unit was ordered on Amazon and shipped with Spectek RAM.  Spectek is made by Micron (as is Crucial).  I have 32GB of Kingston RAM coming this afternoon, I'll give that a try and see if it works any better.  Hopefully the Kingston RAM doesn't use any Micron chips (Kingston sources chips from many different manufacturers), to make this a worthwhile test.  I've never had terribly good luck with Micron products, honestly.

cgallery
What's DOS?
Views: 439
Message 5 of 9

Just a quick follow-up...

I got the Kingston RAM (32GB kit consisting of two 16GB modules).  The chips used by Kingston on these are Hynix.

The Tiny ran all night with these modules installed.  With the Spectek (made by Micron), the machine will power-off typically within an hour or two.

As I said earlier, I'm not a huge fan of Micron/Crucial/Spectek RAM for exactly this sort of reason, so here I am again.

But at least I have a solution.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 432
Message 6 of 9

Interesting discovery!  I would not have though that Hynix vs. Micron would make a difference, but it certainly does. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
lenovo_123
What's DOS?
Views: 354
Message 7 of 9

I had the same reboot issue when I bought the following when trying to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB:

Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD824A

However, my system is stable using 1 of those memory sticks, along with 1 of the original's that was installed. Which was:

Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD8213

These difference in these sticks are speed (2133 vs 2400 ) and Latency (CL 15 vs CL 17) I believe. I wonder if I should use this mixed setup or return it and get the exact same? Thoughts?

Can you send me a link of the Kingston Memory you bought?

cgallery
What's DOS?
Views: 349
Message 8 of 9

The RAM I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNJL8I4

My feeling is, return the Crucial, get the Kingston.

I've just had so many problems with Micron/Crucial/Spectek over the years (I owned a clone shop for nearly thirty years and have personally assembled over 10k machines).

I didn't buy that Spectek memory, BTW, it came installed in a Tiny a client ordered on Amazon (built by that OEM place that has a lot of Lenovo stuff on Amazon).

lenovo_123
What's DOS?
Views: 342
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the link. 

Yeah I am debating. I am not using this Lenovo for gaming or intensive computing. I just need to have enough memory to have several applications opened at the same time and constantly running. One particular app uses a lot of memory and now with 32GB it’s working fine. Even though it’s mixxed speed and latency.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors