cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firefox111
Punch Card
Views: 446
Message 1 of 9

M710q Tiny: rebooting due to "Preparing automatic repair", install Win 10 from DVD to new SSD

Hello.  I do not know where to create a "New" post so I am replying to this somewhat related post.  I have a M710q ThinkCenter Tiny and I have been having this problem since November, 2018.  When I was on vacation in November, my wife called me to report that my M710q has been rebooting on its own on "Preparing automatic repair" so I told her to just power it down.  When I got home from vacation, I tried to boot from the emergency disc that I created for this system.  It won't boot to the emergency repair options, instead, it goes to the "Your PC encountered an error and we need to repair it..." then it goes through the "Preparing automatic repair...".  I bought an SSD drive, bought a Win10 Pro license from MS hoping to just install a new OS.  BUT it won't let me boot up to the installation DVD!  It goes to "Preparing automatic repair...".  What should I do?  Is it the bios that is causing this problem?  Something is directing it to boot from the some internal UEFI boot!

Help on this is much appreciated.  I just want to boot to the repair option so I can probably repair the BCD in the original boot drive.  Also, I downloaded the diagnostics package into a bootable USB and that boots up with no problem.  I ran all the diag and everything passed - so there is no problem with the hardware!

Thanks in advance.

Mod:  edited Subject line to add system type and correct problem description after creating new thread

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 435
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo m83 not booting from noting

For future reference, there's a blue 'Start a Topic' button on the left side for starting new threads. 

Just to be clear, you have a Tiny, and wish to install from a Windows install DVD to a new SSD?  You have a DVD drive attached to your Tiny?  IIs it a factory permanently attached drive?  Have you changed the boot order in the BIOS so that DVD drive is ahead of other drive?  You may need to change the Boot Mode in the BIOS, see this other thread.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
firefox111
Punch Card
Views: 419
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for responding to my post.  I am using a external USB 3 DVD drive with the Win10 Pro installation disc I burned from an iso I downloaded from MS after I purchased it.  Because my tiny is out of Warranty, Lenovo will not send me media (sad).  This did not come with any media when I bought this M710q tiny.  Anyway, I changed the boot order in bios so it will boot from DVD but after it loads whatever it needs from the DVD, it goes to "Preparing automatic repair....".  It does not give me the screen options for installing the OS.  I also tried a bootable USB with the install package, the same thing.  No matter what I boot from, it does not give me a chance to repair the UEFI!  Note that the original disk drive is still okay because I did a check on it using a 2.5 USB Sata adapter and checked it on my Lenovo laptop - no errors were reported.  I bought a SSD drive hoping to be able to install a fresh Win10 Pro but I can't does not stop on giving me the install options.  It goes straight to "Ooops something wrong with your PC and it needs to be repaired..."  or something to that effect.

What could be wrong with this Lenovo tiny!  I can't do anything to repair it or install a fresh copy of the OS.

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 412
Message 4 of 9

The repair loop should have been resolved by replacing the HDD with the SSD, as it would have eliminated the typical causes for the loop.  Other than continuing to Google for your error, I cannot be of further help, as reinstalling Windows is something I have done only a hand full of times, and several years since I have.  I suspect you may be better served by a Windows forum, rather than a Lenovo forum.  

@firefox111 wrote:

I am using a external USB 3 DVD drive with the Win10 Pro installation disc I burned from an iso I downloaded from MS after I purchased it.  Because my tiny is out of Warranty, Lenovo will not send me media (sad). 

For future reference, you could have ordered recovery media for your system from Lenovo, it would have been less than a new license and returned the system to the exact config it originally came with.   

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
firefox111
Punch Card
Views: 399
Message 5 of 9

Thank you.  I guess this system is now a boat anchor.  I have tried all I can think off: creating a recovery usb from my lenovo win10 laptop with both the original drive and a new uninitialized SSD - same thing, it comes up with the error "Your system needs to be repaird... load a recovery disc or usb..." or something like that; but when I do, it ends up with the same screen to repair the system.  I tried a uninitialized SSD and a win10 install media from iso I downloaded from MS - the same thing, it ends up with the suggestion to repair the system.  Frustrating.

And oh, I called support and they cannot help me with my issue because the warranty expired last August (sad).

Thank you for everything.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I downloaded the iso for bios update and burned a CD.  It was able to boot up and update the bios.  I now have the latest bios of this M710q tiny and yet it goes through the same repair loop.

Boat anchor I guess - this just add to my stress as I work on this issue.  I'll probably stop for now.  Maybe later a light bulb will light up.

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 393
Message 6 of 9

I wouldn't consider it a boat anchor, it's booting far enough to show that all the sub-systems are operating normally up to that point, but you need a Windows expert to resolve the boot loop.  

firefox111
Punch Card
Views: 383
Message 7 of 9

That "Start a topic" button is what I've been looking for but from what I'm seeing in my browser (either Firefox or Chrome), I have no such button.  That's why I piggy back on this post because I see a "Reply" button!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 374
Message 8 of 9

The "Start a topic" button is one level up from replying in a thread, see below, left side:

f-start a topic.png

firefox111
Punch Card
Views: 348
Message 9 of 9

Now, I see it.  Thank you.

@BiggAl wrote:

The "Start a topic" button is one level up from replying in a tread, see below, left side:

f-start a topic.png

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors