Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,448
Message 11 of 27

Re: Video Card for "Coming Soon" M910 SFF

Well, I never got to try out a GTX 1050ti in one of the new SFF cases with its stock PSU. But if you're not a gamer I doubt that it would ever come near using its TDP of 75W.  In fact, GTX 1050ti cards that I use in several tower machines (including that new M910t which I bought to replace the unacceptable M910s) only uses about 40W in the real world.  Yes, the PSU in the tower is larger than that in the SFF, but I actually would expect it would potentially still not cause a problem if you could find one that would fit the new SFF case.

As far as being usable in an old SFF case (e.g. for the M900 SFF, and older M93p SFF), with no upgrade to the stock PSU I've successfully used low profile GTX 750ti and AMD R7-250 cards. These older less powerful cards both do use less power than the very new 1050ti Pascal card, but again in the real non-gaming world my experience is that the 1050ti doesn't use but 40W.

Nevertheless, you're accomplishment with THAT particular GT 1030 is excellent.  I'm sure it will help others.

I clearly don't expect Lenovo to now reverse their decision to re-size the new SFF cases as they have (really making it a VERY small front-to-rear SFF, almost "tiny").  They kept the height the same as older SFF cases, and they also kept the width the same as previous SFF cases. They only took a drastic step in reducing the depth by almost 4". I can't imagine users were really requesting that, and compromising on a 3" reduction would have been just as appreciated I'm sure... while simultaneously avoiding all of this discussion on the new 150mm expansion card limit.

Case closed.  Good discussion.

doclucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,435
Message 12 of 27

Chicken and egg.
If you're not a gamer - you won't need or look for GTX 1050ti probably. And if you are a gamer, the space won't matter since the stock PSU will quite likely fail when gaming anyway.
Gigabyte's GT 1030 (thanks to Pascal) can do almost everything the GTX 1050ti can (especially HTPC related), if you are not gaming, and it fits both the case size and the TDP.

Yep, good discussion. Cheers. Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,405
Message 13 of 27

GT 1030 is also known to work in:  M800, M91, M90p, M78

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,400
Message 14 of 27

@doclucas wrote:

Gigabyte's GT 1030 (thanks to Pascal) can do almost everything the GTX 1050ti can (especially HTPC related), if you are not gaming, and it fits both the case size and the TDP.

Not to intentionally drag on when probably all the points deserving mention have already been made, but I've come through many graphics cards in my home-built HTPC (all tower desktop machines with two monitors, one intended for WMC window) experience going back around 8 years now (though not yet involved with 4K).  I've used three different AMD cards and three different nVidia cards.  Some required no additional extra 6-pin PCIe power, as well as one that needed single 6-pin power, and even one requiring two 6-pin power supplements (from a 600W PSU).

Obviously performance varied, especially when hardware deinterlacing of 1080i was involved, and especially when watching HDTV in a WMC window on one 1920x1200 24" monitor while simultaneously "working" on multiple ordinary things (including browser with numerous tabs open, FLASH, etc.) on the other 1920x1200 24" monitor.  None of this involves gaming, but all of it involves the graphics demands of HDTV and multiple reasonably high-resolution monitors.

There is no question that graphics cards with more memory, DDR5 memory, 128 bit vs. 64 bit bus width, etc., perform significantly better, in the non-gaming environment of HTPC plus "real work" on multiple monitors.  That's why I currently use fullsize/short EVGA GTX 1050ti SC cards when I can, in tower machines.  My own HTPC machines have 500W and 600W PSU's, but I also choose to use this 1050ti card in Lenovo tower machines with 280W PSU (and now 250W PSU on my latest M910t machine).

Yes, lesser cards can also "work", but the graphics performance hit (largely from insufficient memory bandwidth) becomes very noticeable when you're watching a 1080i HDTV program in a WMC window on one monitor while "working" on the other monitor and moving the mouse around and moving windows around and actually typing and doing web browsing etc.  The WMC window will take a clear "hit" (and the image will "stutter" and flicker) if the graphics card is not strong enough or doesn't have enough memory to keep up with the performance demand.

Here is one performance comparison of GT 1030 vs. GTX 1050ti, and here is another comparison.  Gaming or not, these two Pascal cards really are two significantly different performing cards.  Sure, your needs requirements and physical machine case and PSU determine what you can minimally use, but there really is a significant difference in performance... especially if you have multiple monitors, and watch HDTV.

Finally, it should be summarized that there is a very significant case size change from Lenovo in this latest generation of machines.  Previously SFF cases didn't really limit the choice of low-profile cards in terms of available performance, i.e. the length of graphics cards wasn't a determining factor.  But now, with Lenovo's about 3" reduction in SFF case depth, this really has now become a huge factor in determining whether the normally desirable SFF case size is actually acceptable.  Even the new tower cases are over 3" shorter front-to-rear than previous tower cases, but thankfully that still allows expansion cards of under 6.9" to be used.

(1) SFF cases (W x H x D, where D = front-to-rear) 210W PSU:

M93p SFF - 4 x 13.3 x 14.7

M800 SFF - 3.7 x 13.5 x 14.3

M900 SFF - 3.5 x 13.3 x 14.1

M910s SFF - 3.6 x 13.5 x 11.4 (note the reduction in "depth", which limits expansion card length to <150mm = 5.9")

(2) tower cases (W x H x D, where D = front to rear):

M93p tower - 6.9 x 16.3 x 17.4, 280W PSU

M800 tower - 6.9 x 16.0 x 16.3, 250W PSU

M900 tower - 6.8 x 16.0 x 16.3, 250W PSU

M910t tower - 6.5 x 16.2 x 12.7 (note the reduction in "depth", accepting expansion cards of about <6.9"), 250W PSU

doclucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,386
Message 15 of 27

Yeah, I think we've already covered everything and the fact that the new SFFs are smaller than they used to be and this is obviously limiting add-on choices.

That said, my response to you was meant to answer the points you raised and your comparisons with previous SFFs and the mentioning of the 1050ti, which wouldn't have worked anyway in any past SFFs.

Defintely the 1050ti is a faster card, I never thought or claimed otherwise. It is unfortunately much more demanding (TDP).

My usage scenario is a single monitor or clone, usually 4K. I don't do dual monitor (extended). That's me tho.

However, if extended dual monitor is what you need, then there is a very simple solution that you'll probably like.

You can use the integrated Intel 630 HD GPU as your main (work) output and let it process your browsing etc. and connect your HTPC to the 1030. (or vise versa) Smiley Happy

This way there aren't supposed to be any of the performance issues you mentioned.

doclucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 733
Message 16 of 27

Following up on this topic and the Gigabyte card I recommended here.

I moved my SFF to a DELL U3011 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

Unfortunately, I found out that this card DVI port is SL-DVI and only supports up to 1920x1200 resolution via DVI.

HDMI produces the same max resolution on linux and 1600x1200 on Windows for some odd reason.

On a 4K TV tho, it works at full 4K resolution. Strange.

I had to switch back to the provided Nvidia 730 card with DP ports to be able to use my DELL monitor. Pity.

P.S.

Discussion on Nvidia forums: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1013330/can-t-get-2560x1440-resolution-from-gt-1030

doclucas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 728
Message 17 of 27

Further investigation revealed that the DELL U3011 monitor's HDMI port is actually HDMI 1.3 limited to 1920x1200 max resolution. So not a problem with the card's HDMI port.

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/Dell-U3011-Max-Reslution-Problem-with-Lattitude-E6410/td-p/3...

Oddly tho, I tried to connect HDMI-to-DVI-DL from the HDMI port to the DELL's DVI port and get only 1600x1200 max resolution.

WIll report later if there's anything new.

TYao
Paper Tape
Views: 494
Message 18 of 27

Re: M710s M910s SFF: successfully installed GT 1030 (HTPC, PureVideo Feature Set H - 4K & 8K, g

Great info! I am looking at upgrading the factory-installed Nvidia GT730 graphics card in my Lenovo M910s SFF case with the recommended Gigabyte GV-N1030D5-2GL card in your thread below, as I want to upgrade to a 4K resolution monitor. My question is that do I need to remove the GT730 card and install the new card in the same slot, or is there an additional slot to accomodate the new card wihout having to remove the GT730 card?  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 485
Message 19 of 27

Re: M710s M910s SFF: successfully installed GT 1030 (HTPC, PureVideo Feature Set H - 4K & 8K, g

If you are needing only 2 video ports, I suggest replacing the GT 730 with the 1030. 

For 3 - 4 ports, both the M910 and M920 have 2 graphics card slots, I believe one is x16, and one is x4, check the HMM to know for sure, and I believe the GT 1030 is x4.  Both slots can be run at the same time, and along with the Intel graphics for up to 7 video ports.  I know that two GT 730 were tested as part of the R&D process [for the Tower], and would expect one 730 and one 1030 would work OK, considering both are Nvidia cards, but I don't believe that has been tested. 

Update:  Tower can support two GT 730 power wise, the SFF may not, see my post below. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
TYao
Paper Tape
Views: 479
Message 20 of 27

Thank you! I can live with 2 video ports as I mainly use for photo editing. My TC M910s desktop's specs list the platform as SFF Q270 210 W 85%. I presume 210W refers to the power supply of 210 W max. Will this be an issue for the GT1030 card if the GT730 card was removed?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors