Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tc2007
Paper Tape
Views: 819
Message 1 of 4

M715 Ryzen can't boot from M.2 SSD if it's the only drive

So I got a new Lenovo M715 SFF with the Ryzen 7 and installed a Samsung  M.2 960 EVO SSD with a fresh Windows 10 Install and I can boot succesfully with it when the original 3.5" HDD is also attached to the PC. The HDD shows as Disk 0 and SSD shows as Disk 0 on Disk Management console. I tried to remove the HDD as I don't use it but then the SSD is not detected in boot devices at all and boot doesn't happen.

Does anyone else have this issue? Everything works well if I have the HDD in there. The HDD has no OS loaded on it. Just a recovery and an empty partition.

SeniorGuru
Views: 797
Message 2 of 4

Re: M715 Ryzen can't boot from M.2 SSD if it's the only drive

I would say it's odd that both the HDD and SSD show as Disk 0 in DISKMGMT.  Is that a typo in your post and one of these is actually Disk 1?  Or are they really both Disk 0?

If the machine was delivered with HDD, didn't Win10 also come pre-installed on it?  So there was a Boot Manager partition and a Windows C-partition, along with a recovery partition (and probably a small GPT placeholder partition).  If you then did your own fresh Win10 install to the SSD while the HDD was still physically present, I would have expected the Win10 installer to add your second Win10 to the Boot Manager menu list (in the Boot Manager partition on the HDD), allowing you to theoretically then choose at boot time from the Boot Manager menu, to boot either from the original Win10 on the HDD or the new Win10 on the SSD.  How did you install Win10 to your SSD?

If my above comment is correct, then you MUST have the HDD still installed in order for the BIOS to boot, since it is looking for a "bootable" partition per the setup boot drive list sequence, and it finds it on the HDD which is probably still first in the list (unless Boot Manager is first in the list, which the BIOS knows is on HDD).

Furthermore, if you did your own second Win10 install then the bootable partition on HDD which contains Boot Manager with a menu that now has two Windows 10 options to boot from.  That means the second Windows installed to the SSD is just that... as second partition.  It's not a bootable partition, it's just a system partition that contains an operational Windows.  But the one and only "bootable" partition is still that Boot Manager partition on the HDD.

So if that's how you've done things you can't remove the HDD, as it has Boot Manager on it.

What did you do to get that "empty" partition on HDD as you describe it?  What was in it?  Is there unallocated/free space on HDD? What happened to the original Lenovo-delivered Win10 on HDD?

What do you want to really have in your setup?  Why not use the HDD as a second "data" drive?  For the moment, you have to keep it in your machine since it's where Boot Manager lives and where the BIOS is going to boot the system and discover that your Win10 is on SSD.

Do you get a Boot Manager menu when you boot the machine?  Or does it somehow go directly to the new Wni10 from SSD?  If you don't see a Boot Manager menu choice, how did you remove the original Win10 from the boot menu?

I'm speculating that if you really wanted to redo your own Win10 install from scratch to the SSD as target, that you probably should have first removed the HDD. The Win10 install would then have created all of the necessary partitions on the SSD, including a new Boot Manager and GPT partitions, along with the Windows system partition.  Then you could have booted into the BIOS, changed the boot sequence list to show the SSD first, and then you would have the option to reinstall the HDD and delete ALL of its partitions (unless you wanted to retain the recovery partition for possible future "return to factory state", which I don't think you do) so as to create one or more "data" partitions on it.  This would re-purpose the HDD as second "data" drive, while having your primary bootable Windows from SSD.

Note that there was one more option open to you, that would have been less work in that you wouldn't have had to reinstall Win10 to the SSD.  After physically installing the SSD you could simply have used Macrium Reflect Free to "clone" your Lenovo-provided HDD partitions over to the blank SSD.  That would have copied ALL the partitions (including the recovery partition, if you did want to retain it).  That means the "bootable" Boot Manager" partition would also have been copied.

Then, you boot to the BIOS, change the boot sequence to have SSD first (remove Boot Manager).  Now when you boot you will be going to the Boot Manager partition on the SSD, along with the same original Lenovo-provided Win10 now living on the SSD, and the HDD is completely freed for whatever re-use or removal if you want.  If you want to re-purpose it for data, just use Minitool Partition Wizard to DELETE all partitions on it (every single one, as they're no longer being used as you're truly running from SSD) and then CREATE one or more "data" partitions.

tc2007
Paper Tape
Views: 783
Message 3 of 4

Sorry I meant 0 and 1 respectively for HDD and SSD. After reading your reply, you are 100% right. I installed the SSD and then installed Win10 on it while the HDD was still there. I then formatted the Win10 partition on HDD for the sake of using it as a media drive. I usually go with clean Win installs as it removes all the bloatware etc.

As I don't have much programs installed on my SSD, I think I will remove the HDD and then do another clean Windows 10 install on it. It would be the fastest way of doing things.
tc2007
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 4 of 4

Also thank you for your lengthy reply. It pointed me in the right direction.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors