Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-11-2021

Ukraine

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

M715Q Gen2: reduce video RAM size lower 256MB with BIOS Setting Tool

2021-04-11, 19:47 PM

Hello.

Our corporation purchased about hundred of M715q Gen2 with only 4GB RAM installed.

BIOS allows to set Video RAM to values of 256MB/512MB/AUTO, so 256MB is the lowest available value from BIOS.

I would like to reduce Video RAM to lower size (even 64MB should be enough), 'cause such big reserved size is not required and Operating System will work faster with more "main" RAM.

BIOS Setting Tool allows, theoretically, to set Video RAM size as low as 32MB.

So I have two questions:

1. Is it safe to set any value lower than 256MB with BIOS Setting Tool?

2. Will the lower setting survive after flashing newer BIOS in future?

I used to successfully update BIOS on those several systems and now I have some with BIOS version flashed M1XKT53A but I never used BIOS Setting Tool.

Thank you in advance.

Options

3591 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

785 Signins

18582 Page Views

• Views: 18582
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:M715Q Gen2: reduce video RAM size lower 256MB with BIOS Setting Tool

2021-04-12, 15:32 PM

Hello 7Wizard7!

Welcome to community forums

If the BIOS settings have that option then the machine is configured to work properly with that setup. 

The settings on BIOS will usually go back to default after an update. But just to make sure, make sure to read the text file before proceeding with the update.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5146 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8301 Signins

131413 Page Views

• Views: 131413
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-04-13, 19:09 PM

@ Jwes_Lenovo wrote:

The settings on BIOS will usually go back to default after an update.

I'm pretty sure that is not true, as I don't recall ever reading a compliment that the settings got defaulted after a BIOS update.  The one exception is if a (boot-block) recovery of a failed update is done. 

What OS are you using? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

2 Posts

04-11-2021

Ukraine

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-15, 7:48 AM

Hello and thank you for reply.

The main anxiety is that I am not sure, that will accept setting that is not available from BIOS itself.

For example, if I set Video RAM size to 64MB (with BIOS Setting Tool), which is not available from BIOS settings, will it "brick" system as BIOS will not recognize and accept inadequate setting.

I am worried that system will not boot even to BIOS so I could change incompatible parameter value.

Also I made many upgrades from BIOS version M1XKT34A on several dozens of systems (I guess, 50 or more) to new versions as they were released (39, 41, 45, 47, 49, 50, 53) and every time there was a bug observed.

If Video RAM in BIOS settings is set to 256MB, I clearly see, that OS "see" about 3.75GB of RAM, so 256MB is "hidden" and reserved for in-CPU graphics core.

Then I successfully flash new BIOS version, boot into OS and see, that available RAM is only about 3.5GB - now 512MB is "hidden" and reserved for in-CPU graphics core.

I reboot again and go to BIOS settings to see, that Video RAM size is still set to 256MB - setting was not changed with BIOS flashing, but 512MB is actually "active" and reserved.

I have to go to BIOS settings, set "AUTO" (this is mandatory step), save BIOS settings and quit, reboot and enter to BIOS settings again to set 256MB again - only then OS reflects true 3.75GB of RAM.

Seems that problem is only in that "Video RAM size" parameter as I never observe any other strange behavior with any other BIOS parameter.

All tested PCs run 64-bit Windows 10 release 20H2 but OS is not guilty as every PC has this "Video RAM size" bug and OS just reflects available RAM so I could understand the amount of actually reserved Video RAM.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms