Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irush
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,216
Message 1 of 7

M715q Tiny BIOS update doesn't work and wont wake from sleep

This is an issue that I've seen in two other posts, but I can't find a resolution:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Brand-new-M715Q-will-not-wake-after-sleep/m-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Enterprise-Client-Management/NVMe-Drivers-and-M715q-Tiny-AMD/m-p/370512...

I've posted on those threads to see if somone had a resolution on there, but I don't see any posted.

We are experiencing the same issue.  Brand new m715q with BIOS ver M11KT31A (3/31/2017).  Windows 7 preinstalled.  Goes to sleep.  When you move the mouse or touch the keyboard the screen stays black and it doesn't wake from sleep.  Tried upgrading all drivers.  No change.  Tried upgrading the firmware.  That was when we discovered the firmware will not upgrade. 

Firmware issue.  From the TVSU program it runs through the whole BIOS upgrade process, shutsdown windows, then the screen goes black, the fans rev up, and then stays that way.  Monitor says going to power save mode.  It never continues past that point.  If I go into the BIOS system log it says "BIOS updated"; however, the version has not changed.  We tried upgrading to M11KT32A.  Then recently they just released M11KT33A.  Same thing, doesn't upgrade.  I've tried running the update from system update, from the windows command line with manual reboot, from a bootable USB stick, and a bootable CD image and nothing works.  I also tried installing the Lenovo Windows 10 image just for kicks and I get the same results (shouldn't matter if the USB stick wont even work).

I engaged technical support.  After several says of working with them they said it was the system board, but the board was backordered 4 weeks.  I couldn't wait that long.  Since it was brand new, I contacted our reseller and they sent another new M715q.  I unpacked it today, went through the welcome setup of Lenovo windows 7 and tested the sleep issue.  EXACT SAME ISSUE.  Two m715q, same firmware is doing the same thing.  I've tried disabling any additional power settings in the BIOS with no change.

I am at a loss.  I've reached out to my contact again and I'm waiting to hear back.  In the meantime, I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone else is still having this issue and if they found a resolution.  We were planning on buy 22 of these machines, but at this point its not looking too good.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Isaac

irush
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,163
Message 2 of 7

Re: M715q Tiny BIOS update doesn't work and wont wake from sleep

I found the solution:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504463

Looks like support has acknowledge it as a problem and has provided a file for a fix.  I followed their instructions and it worked.  It looks like this was released 7/9/17.  What is unfortunate is that I've spoken to support since this was relased and they were working on replacing the system board instead.  I wish they would all know about these fixes.  I only found this one after doing a very specific google search.  I hope this helps someone else and saves them alot of trouble.

m715qUser
Paper Tape
Views: 3,049
Message 3 of 7

I just received my M715q and I am having the same issues: 1) will not wake from sleep; 2) System hangs after failed BIOS update. Along with the following issues:

1. Vertical stand did not fit M715q.

2. Fan is loud.

3. Windows 10 is junk - transfer from old to new PC with Microshaft recommended Laplink software caused errors which forced me to completely 'refresh' (i.e., reinstall) Windows 10.

I will try this fix and report back.

NOPE. This didn't work. Shouldn't be this difficult. I'm a programmer and work with computers - very frustrating. Can anyone elaborate further?

Question - why are there so many Lenovo update programs? Lenovo Companion, Lenovo System Update, Lenovo Bridge, Thinkvantage System Update, Lenovo System Interface and Lenovo Solution Center. Why do I need any of these, especially when none can apply the updates correctly?

irush
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,027
Message 4 of 7

Your right, it shouldn't be that hard. If you don't mind, lets double check your steps and try again.  This is what worked for me:

1. Go here:  http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/DESKTOPS-AND-ALL-IN-ONES/THINKCENTRE-M-SERIES-DESKTOPS/M7...
  2. Download "Flash UEFI BIOS update (Flash from operating system version) EXE".  Current version M11KT35A
  3. Once its downloaded, extract the exe file to its own folder.  I use 7-zip and extracted it to m11jy35usa folder.
  4. Now go to:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504463
  5. Download BIOSFix.zip
  6. Extract BIOSFix.zip into its own directory
  7. Copy BIOSFix\Winfix.cmd file that you just expended into the m11jy35usa firmware folder you extracted in step 3.
  8. Click on the start button and type cmd.  When CMD shows, right click on CMD and select to run as an administrator.
  9. use dos commands to navigate to the m11jy35usa folder.
  10. Run WinFix.cmd.  It will do a firmware upgrade and reboot. 
  11. Once it reboots, log back in.
  12. Find the m11jy35usa.exe file again, right click it and run as administrator.  This time the automated process should install the firmware.

Perhaps there was a step you missed.  Give it a try again and let me know.

I'm not from Lenovo, so I don't know why there are so many update programs.  However, I think they all have their place.  Lenovo Bridge is just an app that allows their website to scan your computer for hardware and suggest what drivers you need.  I never use this.  Lenovo System update and Thinkvantage System update are the same thing.  I believe the technical name is Thinkvantage System Update (TVSU).  That is the primary one I have used for years.  It works well most the time.  This is the first time I've ever not had something update.  The lenovo companion is new.  My thought is this will replace the TVSU in the future.  Its a windows 10 app.  So I bet it is used more for the tablet devices.  However, when I communicated with the tech support they used that to attempt to run the updates too.  So you can go with either.  Lenovo Companion or Thinkvantage System update.  I usually prefer TVSU myself.

I hope this helps.  Once I got the firmware updated then all my other issues quieted down.

m715qUser
Paper Tape
Views: 3,003
Message 5 of 7

It worked. You are a Lenovo champion!

My problem was trying to execute WinFix.cmd in the wrong directory. I downloaded something called m11jt35usa.zip which must be the DOS update or something. The proper place to run the command is C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\M11JY35USA which must be downloaded by the update tool. It properly updated but did not reboot automatically. I rebooted and verified that the BIOS is indeed M11KT35A. The computer also wakes from sleep now.

Thank you and good show.

irush
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,990
Message 6 of 7

I'm so glad it worked for you too!  Thanks for posting an update.

MrDDD
What's DOS?
Views: 2,482
Message 7 of 7

Hey guys. I want to thank you. I have been looking all over for this fix. Havent gotten it to work because I think something change on the Lenovo link. I go to the page linked above and download the file

Flash UEFI BIOS update (Flash from operating system version)
EXE
9.4 MB

Windows 10 (64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit)
M11KT40A
‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017

However the file that comes down is m11jy40usa.exe and M11KT40A.exe. I am assuming this is a newer file and will contain the fix. Anyway neither this or the biosfix.zip contain the afuwin.exe the cmd files point to. I search my entire computer and its not there. I search the web and its the ami bios tool. Not sure which one I should download. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors