Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calc
Token Ring
Views: 1,162
Message 1 of 6

M720 & M920 Cancelled?

Have the M720 and M920 systems (Intel 8th gen chips) been cancelled?

They still aren't available in the US 4 months after being announced.

And the Intel 9th gen chips (Coffee Lake refresh) are due out in the next month or so.

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkStation P320 - ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad P50 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
zemke
Serial Port
Views: 1,121
Message 2 of 6

Re: M720 & M920 Cancelled?

I'm also seriously interested.  In my case, I don't care about the i9's - a 6 core i8700 with the Thunderbolt and exterior bay is all I need/want.  I have notice that these systems have been widely available in Europe and Asia for several months.

ETA for the US?

zemke
Serial Port
Views: 1,003
Message 3 of 6

The m920 Tower is now up on the Lenovo US website.  Unfortunately (for me) the configurator does not offer the Thundbolt 3 card or External Bay that is described in the PSRef pdf file.  In a chat, I asked if the system could be shipped to me along with the two parts not in the config and was told no.  I noticed the site for Austriala features the External Bay in its beauty shot and appears to have it as an option in the configurator, but does not offer the Thunderbolt 3 card either.

calc
Token Ring
Views: 993
Message 4 of 6

I suspect this has something to do with the very slow release of the new systems.

Intel Investing $1B to Meet 14nm Demand: Prioritizing High-End Core and Xeon

TL;DR - Intel's 10nm continues to be delayed, they made new 8th/9th gen chips that are much larger silicon due to many more cores which reduced the amount of 14nm chips that can be made while demand is increasing.

Red Hat - SSME
zemke
Serial Port
Views: 985
Message 5 of 6

That's sounds reasonable.  And I suspect Intel's investment plan assumed they would be in mass production of 10 mm some time ago and prematurily reduced the investment in 14mm production capacity as a result.  Also, most other vendors (e.g. Dell and HP) have been volume shipping Coffee Lake desktops since April.  Perhaps Lenovo held off ordering the new chips to see how the 10 mm story played out. And when Intel 10 mm was delayed again, it may have been too late for Lenovo to get adequate supply. 

On the Thunderbolt 3 Cards, I noticed that Malaysia has them available on their Lenovo website.

Regardless, it is what it is.  I may just decide to build my own system again, so I can get what I want.  I do have to admit it's a lot easier and less frustrating for me to drop off a failing system at a repair depot than it is to diagnose the problem and repair it myself.  The T470 I'm typing on now has had the motherboard replaced twice under warranty.  My current inclination is to wait until the Black Friday sales in the US.  If Lenovo isn't offering what I want by them, I'll take a risk, and build my own system at a time when component prices are traditionally low.  Heck, I may even get lucky and see RAM prices start following the same pricing trajectory as SSDs have.

calc
Token Ring
Views: 887
Message 6 of 6

Whats even funnier now is that the m710 Tiny and m910 Tiny are no longer listed on the US site. So now you can only buy the m625 Tiny and m715 Tiny systems which are AMD based. I guess Intel is still having trouble producing the 35W desktop processors.

I've also heard elsewhere that the 8th gen '35W' desktop processors that actually exist in the wild draw more like 50W-100W depending on the load which might be causing problems as well.

Red Hat - SSME

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors