Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EmanV
What's DOS?
Views: 1,580
Message 1 of 3

M73 Tower - Output to 2 HDMI TVs

So I'm using an M73 Mini Tower with 1 VGA and 1 Display Port output as a PC for a dashboard that's to display stats and different data refreshing in internet browser windows. Our IT department has purchased two VIZIO 50' TVs and we have the PC mounted behind the TVs which are also mounted on the wall. We have one of the TVs connected by using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and it has an active video signal. Here's the problem. We're trying to get the other TV connected as a second monitor through the TV's HDMI input, but the TV doesn't recognize the PC output. We've tried using a VGA cable with a StarTech.com HD2VGAMICRO converter. We've also tried a VGA to RGB converter cable which also failed miserably. Any suggestions?

Mod:  edited title for clarity

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,571
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo M73 Mini - Output to 2 HDMI TVs

You've got that Startech adapter backwards.  It is FROM HDMI TO VGA, not the other way around.

You can't feed an HDMI display device from VGA onboard.  Your easiest solution is just to install a discrete graphics card (which I'm guessing you don't have in your M73).  Something low-power like this Sapphire AMD low-profile R7-250 is modestly priced, and comes with both low-profile and full-size brackets.

Since you have a mid-tower case, your options go beyond this suggestion, but you have to stick with a low-power card.  Somewhat more expensive is the Gigabyte GTX 750ti OC card, again with low-profile or full-size bracket.  Better performance specs than the AMD card, but you may not need its performance.

Finally, there is the low-power EVGA GTX 750ti SC card, which is full-size but shorter.  Best performance, but again a bit more money.

I don't know anything about the inside of the M73, but the description talks about "half-length full-size PCIe x16" expansion slot.  I don't know what "half-length" might imply, but the full-size EVGA card is actually the "shortest" of the three so it is actually the most likely to fit in your case.  The first two are low-profile height cards and are thus longer but less high.  All three are under 60W power and should work fine with the PSU of the M73.

All three of these cards have multiple digital connectors (HDMI, DP, and DVI) and no VGA connector.  The AMD card has miniDP and microHDMI but the box includes adapter dongles so that you can use normal cables to go to your Vizio TVs.  Since you want two HDMI connections, you will need an inexpensive miniDP->HDMI or DP->HDMI cable for the second one (depending on which card you go with).

EmanV
What's DOS?
Views: 1,565
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo M73 Mini - Output to 2 HDMI TVs

Thanks for the tip about the HD to VGA conversion. It makes sense that I would need something else as VGA output only carries an analog video signal and not digital video with sound and power. Thanks for your help. I'll consider these options.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors