Paper Tape
Views: 258
Message 1 of 6

M73 fan turns on and runs hard then eventually turns off

System type :    M73.

•  System model number.  001YUS

• Operating system installed.   Win7 64-bit

• BIOS version.   LENOVO FHKT49AUS, 6/27/2014

Fan turns on (high) and off for no apparent reason. Sometimes for a few seconds other times for a few minutes.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 229
Message 2 of 6

Re: M73 fan turns on and runs hard then eventually turns off

Can you gives us details about when it does this?  How soon after turning on?  When you're doing on it at the time?  How many hours a day does it run? 

The model number you gave above, is the tail end of a model number, what form factor is the system? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
jeinis
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 3 of 6

I have delayed replying because I wanted to gather the data that you requested. For the last several days, I have not experienced the fan noise, even after 6 hours of operation. So at the moment, I cannot give you further information on timing.

The fan can turn on by itself even if I am not doing anything, i.e. even if I am away from my desk.

Sometime I leave the computer running over night, so it might be on for more than 24  hours. 

What is a "form factor" and how do I locate it? The entirety of the information on the label is:

model = thinkcentre M73

machine type  10AY

model number 001YUS

I don't want to publish the serial number here

product ID: 10AY001US

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 176
Message 4 of 6

10AY is a M73 Tiny.   The ultra small form factor means the CPU heatsink and fan are similar to a laptops, and the smaller size makes them more suspectable to compromise by dust build-up.   There's an other thread on the front page, M90z, same problem. 

Removing and cleaning the fan, cleaning the heatsink, and reinstalling the fan will probably correct the problem. 

I suggest you put it to sleep or shut it down when you won't be using it for several hours, this will reduce dust build-up in the future. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
jeinis
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 5 of 6

Don't know if this makes any difference but today, I started the PC and almost immediately the fan started cycling on and off.

I will proceed with cleaning the fan as per your instructions.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 151
Message 6 of 6

@jeinis wrote:

Don't know if this makes any difference but today, I started the PC and almost immediately the fan started cycling on and off.

It's odd that it did cycling almost immediately, there could be a couple of factors at play. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors