cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Horace
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,047
Message 1 of 3

M800: How to add SSD (to an existing HDD)

Hi,

I currently have an old Thinkpad T400 that has a SSD in it. The SSD was installed there maybe 2 years ago but now I am upgrade to a M800 desktop. I ordered the M800 with the cheapest hard drive with the plan to migrate my current SSD into it. But I was wondering if there is a procedure I should follow for what happens after the hard drive is physically installed. Is there a document online somewhere or some easy way to go around it? Or is it more like making recovery media using the Windows tool and then just installing Windows on the SSD and then go online and start downloading drivers one by one?

Thanks,

Horace

Mod:   edited Subject line to system type and clarify question

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,992
Message 2 of 3

Re: Installing softwares for new hard drive

@Horace wrote:

Hi,

I currently have an old Thinkpad T400 that has a SSD in it. The SSD was installed there maybe 2 years ago but now I am upgrade to a M800 desktop. I ordered the M800 with the cheapest hard drive with the plan to migrate my current SSD into it. But I was wondering if there is a procedure I should follow for what happens after the hard drive is physically installed. Is there a document online somewhere or some easy way to go around it? Or is it more like making recovery media using the Windows tool and then just installing Windows on the SSD and then go online and start downloading drivers one by one?

Did you order your M800 desktop with the empty 2nd drive blue plastic bracket pre-installed?  If so, you simply need to take your 2.5" SSD from the T400 and wrap the delivered empty blue plastic bracket from the M800 around it, and insert the final assembly back into the 2nd drive cage of the M800.  Now it's physically installed.

Then, since both physical drives are now available simultaneously and since the M800 with delivered HDD spinner will have Win7/Win10 pre-installed onto the HDD spinner, you can simply use Macrium Reflect Free (or similar product) installed into the operational Windows running from the HDD spinner, to clone the delivered pre-installed Windows from HDD spinner over to the SSD.

Then re-boot and interrupt to get into the BIOS Setup utility of the M800, and change the Startup boot sequence to show the SSD as the first drive (you can exclude the HDD spinner from the list, since you're not going to be using it to boot from again).  Save and exit the BIOS Setup utility, and re-boot, which should now occur from the SSD (running the Lenovo-provided delivered Windows which you just cloned from the HDD spinner over to the SSD).

You should now be booted and operational from the SSD, and you can confirm it as the SSD should be C and other partitions (on the HDD spinner) should be D and higher.

Now you can use Partition Wizard Free to delete all partitions from the HDD spinner, in order to re-purpose it as a 2nd "data" drive.  You can also then use Partition Wizard to create new partition(s) on the HDD spinner, which you can use for whatever you want (e.g. to take regular image/data backups from SSD to target backup folders on the HDD spinner).

There's really no reason to "start from scratch" installing Windows onto a freshly wiped target SSD, and then having to download/install all Lenovo-provided drivers and software for the M800.  Why waste your time?  Just clone the delivered HDD spinner Windows over to the SSD, delete contents of the HDD spinner, create "data" partition(s) on the HDD spinner, and use it.

You now have a working 2-drive M800 (with additional "data" partition(s) on SSD and/or HDD spinner).

As you probably know, there are certain Windows features (e.g. "regular weekly defrag") which should NOT be run on an SSD, although they're enabled by default on an HDD spinner Windows.  If you install Windows from scratch onto an SSD these would have been auto-optimized for you by the Windows installer, but that's not how you got here (since you used cloning from Lenovo-provided HDD spinner Windows).  So when you clone Windows from HDD spinner over to SSD you then should manually "tweak" a few things in Windows to optimize performance specifically for SSD.

Just a quick online search for "optimize Windows for SSD" will give you the standard set of generally accepted tweaking recommendations.  There will be differing opinions, but the important thing here is that your cloned Windows now running on the SSD was initially installed on HDD spinner, not SSD, so the automatically installed SSD optimizations were not originally set.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,785
Message 3 of 3

Re: Installing softwares for new hard drive

@DSperber wrote:

Just a quick online search for "optimize Windows for SSD" will give you the standard set of generally accepted tweaking recommendations.  There will be differing opinions, but the important thing here is that your cloned Windows now running on the SSD was initially installed on HDD spinner, not SSD, so the automatically installed SSD optimizations were not originally set.

Just wanted to add that Samsung and other SSD manufacturers have a software utility/tool that can be downloaded, which will optimize the OS for an installed SSD. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors