cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ar550n1c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,395
Message 1 of 22

M81 M91p: Win 10 Freeze & Network Lockup (Ethernet, adapter)

Our company bought and distributed about 100 of these computers to our various stores we support. We upgraded each of them to Windows 10. Almost all of the stores now have issues where one of the computers locks-up/freezes and in the process takes down the entire network. Not only is there no Internet, but you cannot ping between other devices on the network.

Forcing the effected ThinkCentre M91p off by pressing the power button fixes the issues, and the whole network comes back online.

After a bunch of research I think it must be the network card. The Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet driver is NOT available from Lenovo for Win 10. Not sure if you plan to host it on your site ever. Lenovo forums highly suggest to ONLY use the drivers hosted on the support site for download (Because they are tested). Well since that was not an option, I tried to use the newest version from Intel's website despite what Lenovo suggested... But the issues still persists.

Since it takes down the network each time, and since the driver is not listed for Win 10 on Lenovo's site, I think that this is the problem (The network card/drivers/Windows 10)...

Has anyone else run into this? Have you had success resolving it? We are in need of a resolution. Were almost to the point of sending USB to Ethernet adapters to the effected locations as a test.

Thanks!
Zach

Mod:  added M81 to the Subject line

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,388
Message 2 of 22

Re: M91P Win 10 - Freeze & Network Lockup

Lenovo doesn't have Windows 10 drivers for the M91p because that gen Intel processor (Sandy Bridge) and Chipset are not certified to run Windows 10.  

Some people have has success with Win 10 using the latest Win 8 drivers (or Win 10 drivers direct from Intel and other vendors for non-Chipset components, ie.  Ethernet adapter) , but if you do have an issue, they're likely unsolvable.

ar550n1c
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,350
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the reply. I had not realized that these had the "Sandy Bridge" Microarchitecture/Chipset. That makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for that tip! Since that is the case, we may try a few of the USB to Ethernet adapters. Maybe that will help, but I realize at this point its hit/miss, and could be another component/peripheral issue in combination with the Sandy Bridge Microarchitecture. Thankfully, although we are having freezes/lock-ups they are not often enough to cause a panic.

Zach

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,338
Message 4 of 22

I have a M91p myself, it's been and still is a great system (Windows 7 support continues until 2020.)   Sandy Bridge was big leap forward at the time, just as the Skylake processors are now.   And Win 10 rocks.   The new M900 should have a similar long lifecycle. 

M900
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,253
Message 5 of 22

I'll assume this isn't the case, but it sounds like a routing loop problem, where there's increasing number of packets generating from one/some machines into the network which are not dropped but continue to circle around until the entire network becomes overloaded and shuts down.

To observe this, I would put on a wire sniffer and monitor the packets from this machine.

They could also be malformed enough or just be on constant broadcast/multicast to overload shutdown the network switches. Hopefully you do NOT have any hubs in place.

I've seen this problem at least once when a client had an old hub thru which all traffic must reach the server. Then they attempted to copy a nearly gigabyte file thru that poor old non-duplex 10/100 hub. Only God knows why the printers were appearing/disappearing, the server not responding and everything coming to a screeching halt. LoL.

It took all of 3 seconds to see the problem once I saw they still had a hub. <shivers>

gsmitheidw
Paper Tape
Views: 6,199
Message 6 of 22

We have a batch of ~30 M91p ThinkCentres (product 4518NZ7).

We initially and very briefly had these running Windows 7. We have Core i7 adn 16GB RAM so they're still pretty decent specification even though they're just out of warranty now. 

However these have utterly been a nightmare on Windows 8.1 onwards. Its exactly as described above - Intel no longer supports the chipset nor does Lenovo for anything above Windows 7. 

I had suspected video card as a problem. We had literaly tried everything  - we spent weeks on this - disabling most onboard devices to rule them out changing various group policy options, amending the C states settings in the bios etc. Moreover this isn't just a Windows desktop issue - we've experienced exactly the same problems with Linux kernel having tested with CentOS and it too locks up in the same manner. Windows Server editions like 2012 do work - they seem to log the error relating the C States to the event log (as does Windows 7) but manages to remain stable. Rolling back to Windows 7 is not an option for us - we need Windows 10. 

It is incredibly frustrating - we have had to take these out of use pending a solution. We will probably re-deploy them in a less "production critical" area where the system lockups won't be as much of a problem to the users. Perhaps there is a solution in using a Hypervisor between the hardware and the primary operating system to provide a layer of abstraction.

Having said that out of the batch of ~30 machines, the one i'm using and typing this from seems unaffected. I've had no lockups or peripheral device issues etc. That remains a bit of a puzzle as it's an identical spec to the rest. The only difference is mine was an upgrade of Window 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. I may try that on another to see if something is carried as part of the upgrade process from Windows 7 that allows some stability. 

Highlighted
URIX3
Paper Tape
Views: 5,694
Message 7 of 22

M81 - M91: Win 10 causing random freezing

Hey.

We have over 100 M91p computers on our universiti and we attempting to run windows 10 enterprise.

At present after installation we are finding the systems freezing in a seemingly random fashion.

We tried to update the bios, update drivers, reset bios settings, etc.. but nothing help us so far.

Is there any soultion for this problem? anything we can do about it?

Thank you,

Uriel.

Mod:  adding M81 to this thread, and to subject line

Examineer
Paper Tape
Views: 5,595
Message 8 of 22

Re: Lenovo M91 & Win 10 - Freezing computers

We are having the same issue with all of our M91p (SFF) desktops. So far I haven't seen it with any other Lenovo models.

The computers completely lock up and stop registering events until they are hard shut down. So far I have not identified a solution.

Best guess at this time is something related to the drivers, since Lenovo doesn't offer any official drivers for Win 10 (yet). Hope a fix is forthcoming!

URIX3
Paper Tape
Views: 5,581
Message 9 of 22

We think that (MAYBE, MAYBE Smiley Happy ) we solve the problem.

Just for testing, we installed external network card on 10 computers (10 from about 100 that we have) , and disabled the internal card through the bios.

We still monitoring this, but it's looks ok for now.

It's not stuck yet.

By the way, the external card that we installed is this:

Marvell Yukon 88E8070 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I'l update here when I have an new update.

Uriel.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,567
Message 10 of 22

Pretty sure the M91p uses an Intel Ethernet adapter, have you searched their download site for a Win 10 compliant driver and tried it? 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors