Did you mean: 
Highlighted
0ddball
Paper Tape
Views: 1,141
Message 1 of 7

M82 3395-a66 CPU upgrade

Hi,

I bought barely used M82 3395-A66 ThinkCentre with G640@2,80GHz (bios v. 9SKT97AUS) and 8GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO (250GB) for HTPC and classic desktop purposes. Since there are confusing information regarding MBO limitations and processor type support, I would be gratefull if someone would point me in the right direction (haven't found data sheet that would explain limitations).

I plan to upgrade CPU to i7-3770 (not shure plain, K, T or S version), pump up RAM to 32GB and put another HDD inside (or few external).

Tnx in advance!

Guru
Views: 1,107
Message 2 of 7

Re: M82 3395-a66 CPU upgrade

Yup, you can upgrade to the Intel i7-3770:

FileStreamer (4).jpg

You can visit Lenovo parts list, and enter 3395 to see the full list: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,093
Message 3 of 7

That's a plain i7-3770 only, not one with any letter behind it.  (A processor that has been installed by Lenovo at some point during it's production run)

Also check the wattage of a G640 against a i7-3770, if they are different, then the i7-3770 may have an uprated cooler (heatsink and/or fan -- with different part numbers in Hardware Maintenance Manual), and you will need to change it also.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
proxito
Serial Port
Views: 1,009
Message 4 of 7

Were you able to upgrade ?
I'm looking to replace a g540 with an i3-3240.
I didn't see it in lenovos website, but i found configurations sold with such i3, doest that mean that it is going to work for me ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 997
Message 5 of 7

I think any of the processors listed on your systems spec sheet, that are 65w or less (since your current processor is 65w), could work.  

I recommend that you update to the latest BIOS using CD ISO so that has support for all these processors.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
proxito
Serial Port
Views: 990
Message 6 of 7

Actually since i revisited that support sheet i saw the i3-3240 in there. I updaded my BIOS to the latest one from lenovo, but i did that via the .exe file.
Is there difference between ISO and .exe updating ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 966
Message 7 of 7

No.   But ISO is more reliable, as it avoids any Windows related issues or problems. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors