Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goggel
Paper Tape
Views: 3,639
Message 1 of 2

M83 SFF: PSU and Graphics upgrade

I recenly bought a M83 Desktop Small Form Factor (ThinkCentre) - Machine Type 10AJ. It comes with a 240watt Power supply. I would like to upgrade this to a 500 or 600watt power supply just to be safe when i add an aditionnal internal hard drive and Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card?

(Mod edit: Updated title to match system and moved to appropriate discussion area)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,619
Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkCentre M83 SFF PSU UPGRADE

The Tower uses a standard ATX power supply, and the SFF a standard TFX power supply. A power connector adapter (ATX to Lenovo) is required for systems built 2012 and later.

For the SFF, the maximum aftermarket TFX is 400w, with 350w being more common. Since the top low-profile graphics card is a Gtx 750 Ti, and the factory power supply can accommodate it and 2 hard drives, there little need to upgrade it.

For the Tower, I have had an 650w aftermarket Corsair in mine (I recommend one that is semi-modular and shorter, as space is limited inside the case.) A good example for the Tower is the Corsair CX-M series.

I can confirm that this GTX 750 TI 2GB  card works perfectly in my M93p SFF machine without upgrading the PSU:  MSI N750Ti-2GD5TLP

Measuring the power draw running prime95 (CPU benchmark) , FurMark (GPU benchmark) , charging mobile via USB and copying large files at the same time , it stays below 190 W . Have been running this for several hours. I have also been playing Fallout 4 (FullHD, ultra textures, 60 FPS) for 100 hours without any problems. As the case is quite compact, I was worried about the temperature but it stays below 80 C for the GPU at full power over extended periods of time (about 25C ambient temp in the room). 

Installation is easy. Just mount the low profile bracket and move the PCIe 1x WiFi card (if you have one) into another slot. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors